Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
joemoe14
0 Kudos

Re: NO ONE deserves an upgrade.

I too bought it within a month of the color one coming out and I was passed but then learned that the color is not 3g capable

Contributor
krehetin
0 Kudos

I don't think you understood why a lot of people were complaining. Barnes and noble decided to keep the nook color a secret. they didn't announce that they were coming out with anything. they waited untill the day it came out, the day it was available to mention it. if barnes and noble had noted that their color e-reader was 'coming soon", people could have made a more educated purchase and decided if it was worth it for themselves to wait or go ahead and get the nook. I think people felt cheated because it was 'under wraps'.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

krehetin wrote:

I don't think you understood why a lot of people were complaining. Barnes and noble decided to keep the nook color a secret. they didn't announce that they were coming out with anything. they waited untill the day it came out, the day it was available to mention it. if barnes and noble had noted that their color e-reader was 'coming soon", people could have made a more educated purchase and decided if it was worth it for themselves to wait or go ahead and get the nook. I think people felt cheated because it was 'under wraps'.

The NOOK Color was announced/unveiled over a month before it became available.

There will ALWAYS be people who bought the original NOOK the day before the Nook Color announcement, no mater what day it was announced.

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

krehetin wrote:

The NOOK Color was announced/unveiled over a month before it became available.

There will ALWAYS be people who bought the original NOOK the day before the Nook Color announcement, no mater what day it was announced.

Also, if they announced it too far in advance, it would have put a huge dent in nook sales. B&N may have done some stupid things, but this is not one of them.

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

Apparently Best Buy plans to do something along these lines. But it will cost you extra.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board/message?board.id=CR&message.id=20383

LisaB

New User
pi_kappa
0 Kudos

Very rarely have I bought a vehicle - including several Hondas - where the dealer didn't cut me a significant "loyalty" price break.  Merchants love loyal repeat customers and incentives go miles in that direction.  I'm a software engineer and software companies LOVE it when I give them repeat business and will make an effort to keep me in their books.  Competition causes that.  I don't expect a 1-for-1 trade for my year-old b/w Nook to a Nook Color  (although I'd be thrilled), but a $25-40 credit would encourage repeat business. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

pi_kappa wrote:

Very rarely have I bought a vehicle - including several Hondas - where the dealer didn't cut me a significant "loyalty" price break.  Merchants love loyal repeat customers and incentives go miles in that direction.  I'm a software engineer and software companies LOVE it when I give them repeat business and will make an effort to keep me in their books.  Competition causes that.  I don't expect a 1-for-1 trade for my year-old b/w Nook to a Nook Color  (although I'd be thrilled), but a $25-40 credit would encourage repeat business. 

Yeah, it would be nice.  But the NOOKColor is not an upgrade to the nook.  Many people own and use both (happily).

New User
pi_kappa
0 Kudos

But with the criticisms of the Nook Color (weight, battery life, et al) along with the end of the Nook 3G, make me wonder about Kindle.  Both my brother and gf have one and rave about them.

Two Nooks?  LOL!  Why?  It's like having two gray tweed suits.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

B&N already isn't doing great financially - to the folks that originally bought a nook that now want $40 or whatever credit so they can now get a nook color, answer me this -

Who now gets passed that extra cost?  The answer - the person that has yet to BUY a nook, and now those prices have jumped up $20-$30 to cover your credit.

you note that because you bought a nook and now later you want something back, so I will reply back that I would be mad if as a new customer the wifi only was now $179 vs $150, or the 3g was $229 vs $199 for example. 

remember the cost to B&N is much more than the $30 or $40 credit.  you need STAFF on hand (extra staff) to handle all these nooks coming back in.  maybe they can prep them for a pre certified sale, maybe they have to send them all to some warehouse, whatever it is, that is labor too.

B&N wi fi Nook is already $11 more than kindle (not a lot, but still higher) - I doubt they would do well bumping that up another $20-$30.

And again I counter, why should I have to pay more so that you don't because you ran out and bought a gen 1 product?  how can it be any surprise in the electronics world that a bigger and better product may be right around the corner???  how can that surprise anyone?

Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

pi_kappa wrote:

But with the criticisms of the Nook Color (weight, battery life, et al) along with the end of the Nook 3G, make me wonder about Kindle.  Both my brother and gf have one and rave about them.

You come here and complain about the Nook based on no first-hand knowledge, then seem to prefer the Kindle for the same reason.

Under the (probably incorrect) assumption that you are not just trolling this board, why don't you do some real research (e.g., CNET, etc.), go to a store and try all the candidates before you make a decision.

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
New User
pi_kappa
0 Kudos

I don't "troll boards", thank you very much.  And from your nose-in-the air attitude I assume you know everything about the Nook that I don't.  My heartiest congratulations and my heartfelt apologies for not being as up to date as you.  My nook was a gift - I didn't buy it.  But you knew that, since from your snotty post you imply you know everything else. 

I came to this board for information.  And you've given me more than I needed to know.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

pi_kappa wrote:

You are posting on a board where people come to complain and/or seek assistance - of course, you're going to find negative posts.

As to why two nooks - never said that.  Many people have the nook and the NOOKColor, two different products, which they alternate between depending on what they want to do.

If you go to the top of this page and click on "nook," you will be able to compare the two.  You could also google nook v nookcolor and find comparisons.

Or you can buy a kindle.  I don't have one, but I understand they are a good choice for some people.

BTW, what's wrong with having two gray tweed suits?  :smileywink:

New User
56RedHead
0 Kudos

"if a consumer is not smart to realize that a new offering is around the corner thats their fault."   I think you are wrong there...making such a degrading and generalized statement about NOOK OWNERS tells me you are never satisfied with something and always looking for something better.  Like ALL electronic devices there will ALWAYS be an UPGRADE, even non-techy people know this.  If B&N give you credit for your b&w NOOK on a new COLOR NOOK they could sell more and recycle the old ones.  They could actually donate the older NOOKS to the poorer schools in the USA so these kids will have access to new books and technology.  Regardless saying people aren't smart enough is the pot calling the kettle black now isn't it??

Distinguished Correspondent
GetLostInABook
0 Kudos

pi_kappa wrote:

..Two Nooks?  LOL!  Why?...

Why two Nooks?  So that my wife doesn't hog mine.  Might need a third for the kid.

Contributor
0wlfisher
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Upgrade?

i still wish we could get it.

Correspondent
Anthony1970

Time to bump this up. Looks like there are going to be tons of 1 post posters coming in complaining about wanting an upgrade to Nook simple touch. LOL

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Anthony1970 wrote:

Time to bump this up. Looks like there are going to be tons of 1 post posters coming in complaining about wanting an upgrade to Nook simple touch. LOL

This time we can tell them that NOOK 2nd Edition is not an upgrade, but an economy model instead: No 3G, no browser, no games, no color covers on the touch screen, etc.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Rignes
0 Kudos

I never used the browser, or games on the Nook 1st Edition.  To be honest they were so poorly implemented that I'd rather just not browse the web with it than be forced to use it.

I think BN realized how badly that worked with the eInk display and did the right thing not having those features on the Nook 2nd edition.  The Nook Color is for that sort of thing anyway and seems to do better by miles.

I have the 3g version, but to be honest I don't really need it.  I never buy books on the Nook itself because it so much of a better experience shopping from my computer I just buy them there and download them later which means I'm at home and have m Wfi.  The need to buy a book hile out on the beach or whatever is such a fringe situation for me that 3G isn't a necessity.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

This time we can tell them that NOOK 2nd Edition is not an upgrade, but an economy model instead: No 3G, no browser, no games, no color covers on the touch screen, etc.

I disagree.  Other than the removal of 3G all of those things are upgrades, assuming some method to accept Wifi terms for shopping is implemented.

No mp3 player ensures better battery life - for reading.

Games had nothing to do with readfing, wasted resources and real estate.

Color covers were nice but didn't add to the reading experience.

New NOOK has:

• better contrast
  • much better battery life
  • a far more user-friendly dictionary
  • a more organized shopping experience - based on the videos I've seen

I don't think it's a "basic economy model" at all.  I think it is intended to be a serious reader's ereader.  Nothing more, nothing less.  It's not in any way trying to be anything but a d@&n good reading experience - all of its features seem geared to reading, choosing better books, reading reviews by friends, recommending books to friends, etc...  All of which is reading-centric.

Other than form factor (and their making it more difficult to make impulse purchases if there's no provision for accepting TOS on public Wifi) it's exactly what I hoped my NOOK Wifi would be when I got one as a gift in September.  I had expected to keep NOOK Wifi for four or five years, but I may buy the new one and pass on the one I have to someone who wants non-reading related crap on their ereader.