Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
BookLover_Sammy
0 Kudos

NOOK 3G

Ok so if you have the Nook with the 3G, when i went to go look at the nook's and we talked to one of the lady's that were there, we asked about the 3G Nook, well we asked if the 3G was also ment for the internet, and the first time they said yes. We just went back today and this lady told us that it was only for shopping.

We then heard the sales person next to us tell the people who were looking at the nook that the one had 3G but did not go into the point that it didn't mean you could get onto the internet.

So if you are looking to choose one, i would recomend not getting the one with 3G unless you plan on buying books in the middle of nowhere. I hope this might save some people who are looking some money, i wish i would have done more research first.

I just went and exchanged mine for the color today.

Yours Truely, 

Sammy

I love books, all kinds, weather they are real paper or on the nook.
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK 3G

BookLover_Sammy wrote:

Ok so if you have the Nook with the 3G, when i went to go look at the nook's and we talked to one of the lady's that were there, we asked about the 3G Nook, well we asked if the 3G was also ment for the internet, and the first time they said yes. We just went back today and this lady told us that it was only for shopping.

We then heard the sales person next to us tell the people who were looking at the nook that the one had 3G but did not go into the point that it didn't mean you could get onto the internet.

So if you are looking to choose one, i would recomend not getting the one with 3G unless you plan on buying books in the middle of nowhere. I hope this might save some people who are looking some money, i wish i would have done more research first.

I just went and exchanged mine for the color today.

Yours Truely, 

Sammy

I have the Nook 3G+wifi and it's a great little device.

The nook will browse internet sites using the wifi browser. The 3G only kicks in if wi-fi is not available, but it does not allow you to browse the internet. The sole purpose of the 3G is to connect to the B&N shop site to purchase and download a book.

Also note that the web browser on the classic models will not download a file directly to the nook, for instance a Google e-book or another free book site.

Hope that helps. My 3G is my on-the-road ereader due to its longer battery life and the fact that it loves light -- sunlight, room light, whatever kind of light, the more the better. With the 3G I can connect to B&N and get a new book if I get bored with what I'm reading.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Frequent Contributor
nookpj
0 Kudos

The Nook 3G + WiFi can access the web - but only via WiFi.  The 3G web access is only for shopping at the B&N site, and can be used to shop even when there is no WiFi available, which is a plus.

New User
BookLover_Sammy
0 Kudos

Well i originally chose the 3G + wifi because i thought i could get internet connection just like i do on my phone but on a bigger screen. It just kinda upset me that I asked if i could get internet access like on my phone with the 3G and she said yes.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

The 3G is also great if you have a periodical subscription. Newspapers/Magazines will download automatically to your NOOK without you having to worry about being connected to a WiFi hotspot.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

BookLover_Sammy wrote:

Well i originally chose the 3G + wifi because i thought i could get internet connection just like i do on my phone but on a bigger screen. It just kinda upset me that I asked if i could get internet access like on my phone with the 3G and she said yes.

Yes, I was told the same thing. Fortunately I'm the type that tries to look through a user's guide before I purchase something. So I knew the exact function of the 3G.

And I've noticed some young people seem to not make a distinction between "web" and "internet." The 3G does connect to the Internet, but it doesn't connect to the web, if that makes sense.

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

BookLover_Sammy, I think you made the right decision by purchasing the NOOKcolor.  Enjoy!

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

Suddenly, when I read this post, it was like a lightbulb went on in my head. Why pay more for 3g if you have wifi available? B&N is charging more for 3g to buy books from their site. When I bought my classic nook, only the 3g model was available. But now, having my nookcolor without 3g, I can only see one reason to buy a 3g nook and that would be if you have absolutely no access to wifi.
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

schatzieWI wrote:

I can only see one reason to buy a 3g nook and that would be if you have absolutely no access to wifi.

"Absolutely no access to Wi-Fi" is a bit strong. What matters is whether you'll always have access to Wi-Fi when you need it. For many people, the answer is "yes", either because they only use their NOOKs at home where they've got Wi-Fi, or because they're willing to postpone their use of wireless until they reach a spot where they can access Wi-Fi.

Also, for most of us the 3G is only useful for shopping, but for some people it's valuable for some other things. Let's say you're out camping in the woods. You use your NOOK 3G to read during the day, then switch to your iPhone for reading when you're tucked into your sleeping bag. The NOOK 3G can sync the current page you're on, so that your reading is seamless; a NOOK Wi-Fi or NOOKcolor can't. And when you wake up in the morning, the NOOK 3G will have today's issue of The New York Times or whatever you're subscribed to, while a NOOK Wi-Fi or NOOKcolor won't.

Again, these aren't things that everyone will be concerned about. But some people would be. Which is why there are multiple models.

Contributor
sheilatn
0 Kudos

I have seriously considered giving my WIFI only classic Nook to one of my adult daughters and then purchasing a 3G version.  I belong to a book club and twice I have been in homes that have ATT wireless (as I do).  The password is 20 digits long, so I had a choice to inconvenience the hostess and get the password or not to be able to go online and read reviews of books we were considering for our next book.  Others with Nook 3G or their Kindles were able to read reviews.

I just returned from a week in Florida in a friends' Condo.  They had chosen not to use the wireless which was available in their Condo and use DSL with cord instead.  I was unable to access the buildings' wireless therefore.  The B&N store rep is the one who "convinced" me I wouldn't want 3G but now I do.  I am thinking about a refurb with 3G.  I do however thoroughly love, love, love my Nook.  I just wish I hadn't been so stingy and that I had 3G.

Sheila.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

sheilatn wrote:

The password is 20 digits long, so I had a choice to inconvenience the hostess and get the password or not to be able to go online and read reviews of books

NOOK 3G would not let you "go online and read reviews". It will let you shop at B&N, it will let you download NOOKbooks from your B&N library, it will update The Daily including any newspaper and magazine subscriptions that you have, and it will let you save and recover the most recently-read page of a NOOKbook. It will not let you surf the Web via 3G. Kindle does, NOOK doesn't.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Technically the Nook 3G does go on the internet.  It just doesn't access the web.  If it's connecting to a B&N store it's going over the internet.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat

[ Edited ]

Doug_Pardee wrote:

NOOK 3G would not let you "go online and read reviews".

Just a minor correction. You cannot read reviews on other websites.

You can, however, go to shop and search for the book you are considering. When you find the book, select it. You can also select show cover after the search list comes up, if you happen to know what the cover looks like.

Under the main listing of the book is:  Buy <for $x.xx>, Get free sample, View, Add to wishlist (the touch screen will show the cover in color to the left of these options).

The touch screen shows the following options:

Under the View setting is:

Overview: gives title, author, cost and list price, rating and number of ratings, and a brief overview description

Editorial reviews: gives title, author, cost, rating/# of ratings, and several pages of Editorial reviews, synopsis and From the critics.

Reader reviews: gives title, author, cost, rating/# of ratings and all of the reader reviews.

Product details: shows title, author, cost, rating/# of reviews and basic product details that include -- publisher, publication date, sold by, EAN, Sample EAN, sales rank, and file size.

I used "The Shimmer" by David Morrell to look up the above information via 3G on my Nook Classic 3G+wifi.

If you have a 3G unit, tap the wifi icon, tap wi-fi to turn it off (airplane mode off) and your 3G bars will appear on the display. Go to shop and look up a book.

You don't always have to turn wi-fi off. 3G will automatically kick in when you tap Shop and no wi-fi access is available (like out camping or a motel that has no internet service). You only need to turn off wi-fi if you are around wi-fi access and you want to use 3G.

Hope this helps.

New User
BookLover_Sammy
0 Kudos

Well now that I finally got a chance to read everyones responses, i do have a few comments.

3G Definitions from Dictionary.com

Definition:  the third generation of wireless mobile telec ommunications standards and technology
Example:  The 3G networks are wide-area cellular telephone networks that evolved to incorporate high-speed Internet access and video telephony.

third-generation; a system for mobile phones allowing fast connection, internet access, digital photography, graphics transmission and display, and other advanced features

Also to me 'web' and 'internet' are the same thing. So why would you pay more just to be able to buy books on the spot, i mean, buy more than one book at a time so you never run out and then you will be fine, I just dont get why people would pay more to just to be able to buy books wherever there is ATT service. I dont know it's me.

Also the person I talked to at the Barnes and Noble store was supposedly a 'NOOK expert' and it just upset me that i asked if i could get on the internet (like google and look things up) and she told me yes.

Also I might even be returning my NOOKcolor because of how many issues I have had, I've talked to approximatly 15 different people and this proplem still isn't fixed. So, im definatly not pleased with my NOOK expirence thus far.

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

As an owner of the 3G nook I will tell you its very handy to be able to shop anywhere and anytime.  I don't have wifi at home and I also noticed some people that has wifi, they end up having trouble with their router settings.  I think the extra 50 was well worth it because it better suited my needs. 

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
AlanNJ

BookLover_Sammy wrote:

Also to me 'web' and 'internet' are the same thing. So why would you pay more just to be able to buy books on the spot, i mean, buy more than one book at a time so you never run out and then you will be fine, I just dont get why people would pay more to just to be able to buy books wherever there is ATT service. I dont know it's me.

The web is a way to access the internet.  It is NOT the internet.  You can still access the internet without a web browser.   Just because the web and the internet are the same thing to you does not make it so.  There is usenet.  There is IRC.  There are many other ways to access the internet that I haven't even mentioned.

[I'm off my soapbox now]

Inspired Correspondent
Viktornka
0 Kudos

I'm a happy NookColor owner who would like to buy a Nook3G.  I'd love to browse the web (when I can't get WiFi access) without having to pay for a data plan.

As the BN employee honestly told (and showed me), the current Nook3G is really too limited for my needs. 

Does anybody know if BN plans to come out with a Nook3G with better web browsing capabilities?

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Viktornka wrote:

I'm a happy NookColor owner who would like to buy a Nook3G.  I'd love to browse the web (when I can't get WiFi access) without having to pay for a data plan.

As the BN employee honestly told (and showed me), the current Nook3G is really too limited for my needs. 

Does anybody know if BN plans to come out with a Nook3G with better web browsing capabilities?

Sadly no, because it really looking like the 3G model is being discontinued and if that turns to be true, there will be no improvementsto the web browsing

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
AlanNJ
0 Kudos

Viktornka wrote:

Not for anything but don't you think SOMEBODY would have to pay for your web browsing on 3G?  Possibly B&N?  3G is not free.  It's a carrier provided service.

Either you pay or B&N would have to charge a whole lot more than they currently are.