Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK (Classic) batteries on sale for $9.95

This does sound like a great deal, so I'll probably be picking one up at my local Best Buy tonight.  However, it seems to me that months ago, when I was thinking about buying a spare battery "just in case," someone posted that they have a limited shelf life in the package.  Does anyone remember this or know anything about this?  I'll still probably spend the $10, but I'd hate to think I have a back-up available, only to open the package a year from now and find it dead in the water.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Someone did say they had limited shelf-lives, but at $10, I'm willing to take the chance.

I figure it's enough to bet me to the store if it's not great...

Frequent Contributor
bjmbarb
0 Kudos

Maybe the reason there are no replacement batteries for sale on B&N site is they are all near expiration...and Best Buy has them all to sell at an irresistible price so as not to just toss them all.  Has anyone actually bought one as in have it in their hot little hands?  Is there an expiration date and when?  I just received an email my store pick-up has changed from 1/29 to 2/2...which is fine but either way I don't have the battery here yet.  Still we will have a the right size screwdriver!

Distinguished Correspondent
Beth_DeEtt
0 Kudos

I've lurked on the Nook boards since November but finally signed in to thank Doug for the heads-up.  I'd been thinking of ordering a spare battery, and this is too good a deal to miss!

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

I don't  understand the comment above that "there are no replacememt batteries for sale on the B&N site".

I did a search on 'nook battery' on B&N site and it came up instantly.  shows they are in stock, ship in 24 hours, and even have free shipping.  Also when I did a search in store the 3 stores around me all showed they had them in stock.

Why are folks saying they are no longer for sale thus the nook classic must be going away?  or what am I missing that I keep seeing them as available both online and in store?

link:

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Nook-Rechargeable-Battery/e/9781615600618/?itm=1&USRI=nook+battery

Frequent Contributor
bjmbarb
0 Kudos

I had looked under Nook Essentials last night...where they show lights, recharging cord, scan disks etc. and there was (an is of now) no replacement battery listed.  Great you found it on a search.  The battery had always been there and it was gone. That is what I know and where I was coming from.

Inspired Correspondent
Mupples
0 Kudos

I just went and bought 2. I may never need them but for 20.00 I'm still paying less than one MSRP battery. Win. 

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

no problem bjm, I am kind of new here and thought maybe I was missing something.  i hope not, I love my nook.

Frequent Contributor
bjmbarb
0 Kudos

Quite ok RSC...you did better than me in the search...I didn't do that. I just wondered if maybe they were coming out with a new batch of batteries!!! lol  I have had my Nook for about a year and I love it too...but what I know about most electronic devices is nil. But Nook and I hit it off from the start...glad you enjoy yours too. 

Contributor
t_k_thorn
0 Kudos

Doug,

Thanks for the info--ran out at lunch and got one. Plan to use my nook until it has turned to dust.:smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
0 Kudos

Further to the discussion regarding the possible shelf life/expiration date:  I bought mine tonight, and there is no expiration date shown on the external packaging.