Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
graycyn

NOOK DIET - I'm losing weight with MY nook

[ Edited ]

It's a little weird, but I've been struggling with my weight for a long, long time. About 4 years ago, I lost 20 pounds, kept it off, but just could NOT seem to motivate myself to get any further.

Enter the NOOK. I got mine in July. Absolutely have fallen in love with this device! I immediately loaded a couple fitness/diet related ebooks that I had in PDF form on it, only to find that those PDFs didn't display ideally.

But what I was really lacking for diet success was motivation. I know what I need to do, eat less calories and move more. You wouldn't think a NOOK, a reading device (i.e. sedentary activity) could possibly be an aid to a weight loss effort. But you might be wrong about that!

I started thinking about books and I started thinking about what might get me going on my weight loss again.

It occurred to me that ebooks might just be the IDEAL REWARD! They are affordable, and gratification is instant!

I am not generally a big spender on books, I mostly read from my local library. But earning a book for my nook is something that I thought would really motivate me! Better still, I have quite a few hardbacks and some ratty paperbacks that I'd love to replace with ebooks and clear my overcrowded bookshelves.

So, I set up my own nook diet... and it is working! 3 weeks in and I've lost 5.6 pounds! As I'm 53 and menopausal, those are excellent results. I seem to be able to live with a little hunger AND get my butt out of my chair for the promise of earning ebooks. I even got motivated enough to compete in my first ever race, a mile walk.

As it's an idea that anyone could tailor to their own needs, and it might help someone else, feel free to play. Link to the Nook Diet page on my little weight loss blog is in my sig.

BN should love me for this one, what a way to promote ebook sales!

Nook WiFi, Sony 950, 2 Sony 350s.
Distinguished Correspondent
kc5455
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK DIET - I'm losing weight with MY nook

Congratulations!

I know how difficult it is to lose weight. 

I'm glad your Nook is helping to motivate you.

And; you can do sit-ups, push-ups and use a treadmill, all while still reading your nook!!

:smileyhappy:

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
__Dr. Seuss
Frequent Contributor
graycyn
0 Kudos

Yep, nook adds a little resistance on those crunches, LOL! I suppose I burn a few extra calories just 'cuz I take it everywhere with me.

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

Awesome!! 

As mentioned, you could even read on the treadmill.  Since the font can be scaled from "teensy" to  "friggin' huge," it's a lot easier to read while walking. 

I also read almost exclusively from the library.  But I'm totally diging the reward system. 

Now if only I could get someone to come and do my transcription work so that I'd have time to actually go downstairs and "earn my reward," I'd be a happy camper. 

--DiAnne

Wordsmith
wordsandmelodies
0 Kudos

I've totally used reading as a reward for studying, and buying books as a reward for good test grades.  It makes me laugh that I'm not the only one to self-reward that way.  And I hadn't even thought about the instant gratification angle.  Congratulations!  I'm so glad it's working!

Frequent Contributor
graycyn
0 Kudos

Probably comes naturally... when I was a kid, my grandma used to reward me with books when I behaved well at her house. I'm surprised I never thought of this sooner as a way to keep my diet focus.

But living in a small town where there's not much for bookstores, it probably wouldn't have worked as well until I had the nook.

Frequent Contributor
graycyn
0 Kudos

Another week (a stressful one) and another loss! 1.6 pounds again! That's 7.2 pounds for the month, which is great progress for me. And I've just bought three more ebooks!

There's something about the reward of ebooks that keeps me in line when I get hungry or tempted to overeat. It also gets me to the gym. The reward principle does seem to be a good one, at least for me so far!

I may increase calories slightly this week, just to give my body a little rest, but I still plan to lose!

Wordsmith
wordsandmelodies
0 Kudos

*Applause*

Correspondent
Doc_Nukem
0 Kudos

graycyn wrote:

I may increase calories slightly this week, just to give my body a little rest, but I still plan to lose!

Congratulations on your weight loss! Now, I don't want to be a bubble-burster, but stick with your diet. Remember, the books are your reward, not a few extra calories. I have been there, and if you can stick it out, the lower calories will eventually feel more normal.

I have had the unfortunate realization that when a diet claims that the occasional indulgence is all right, their definition of occasional is quite different from mine! (Mine is once a day, the diet's definition is once every week or two).

I have used the nook on a recumbent bike (stationary, of course) and an elliptical. I just have to increase the font size for those 30-40 minutes. I haven't figured out how to read while on the rower, though.

Frequent Contributor
graycyn
0 Kudos

Actually, I find I do better if I do occasionally give my body a break. Otherwise, if I don't, eventually I just can't take the hunger and headaches and crack and eat everything in sight for like days on end until I regain. The key for me is to stay balanced and sane and not going too far overboard. But one week out of five seems reasonable to me. I guess we'll see what happens come Monday.

I do a step aerobics class that also does dumbbells and balance work, pool walking/jogging/swimming, yard work and sometimes stationary bike or plain walking for exercise. Reading would only be a likely option for the stationary bike. My arms are too busy moving in my other exercise options, LOL!

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

graycyn wrote:

I do a step aerobics class that also does dumbbells and balance work, pool walking/jogging/swimming, yard work and sometimes stationary bike or plain walking for exercise. Reading would only be a likely option for the stationary bike. My arms are too busy moving in my other exercise options, LOL!

Last year, I joined the Y just so I could use the pool for "water jogging."  Since I weigh 225 pounds and have really horrible flat feet, any weight-bearing exercise just kills me, so the pool jogging was awesome.  I finally had to do something to relieve the boredom, though, so I bought a waterproof case/headphones for my mp3 player so I could listen to my audiobooks.  It made that hour just fly by. If you're interested, I got mine from H2Audio.  Not cheap...but so worth it.

Now, my work is crazy and I'm putting in 70-hour weeks every week and I don't have time to even brush my teeth most days, let alone go to the Y.  Hmmph. 

Correspondent
sharno22
0 Kudos

How wonderful! I'm so happy for you!

AllenR
0 Kudos

I'd not thought about it that way.  

I lost 54lbs this year and all that while I had my new nook.  Hmmm.

What a magical little thing!   :smileyvery-happy:

Does it also do wonders with the lottery, I wonder...   :smileywink:

Lucien Buonaparte speaking of a young lady... "ever fresh, not like a rose, but like a good radish"
Napoleon Buonaparte on the reason for marriage: " I want to marry a womb" - Those Buonapartes sure knew how to woo a woman!

Frequent Contributor
graycyn
0 Kudos

Can't seem to get quoting to work tonight... will try an old fashioned method.

>>

Last year, I joined the Y just so I could use the pool for "water jogging."  Since I weigh 225 pounds and have really horrible flat feet, any weight-bearing exercise just kills me, so the pool jogging was awesome.  I finally had to do something to relieve the boredom, though, so I bought a waterproof case/headphones for my mp3 player so I could listen to my audiobooks.  It made that hour just fly by. If you're interested, I got mine from H2Audio.  Not cheap...but so worth it.

<<

I have the opposite problem, high arches. And I'm a little heavier at 235.6 (as of today). But I agree, water jogging is great stuff... you can really work your legs and arms and it's much tougher than it looks! I was in the pool 50 minutes today to jog 3/4 of a mile. I've thought about a waterproof audio player, but cost has prevented me so far. I don't get that bored though, because I do different things as I travel back and forth. Sometimes I just jog, sometimes I side-step, sometimes I grapevine, I switch arms up, I might skip or jump. I also swim some laps, alternating different strokes. So it stays interesting.

Sometimes I pretend I'm a fencer and swashbuckle, LOL! You can do pretty much anything underwater and no one will know.

Frequent Contributor
graycyn
0 Kudos

Oh, I did lose another pound this week, in spite of increasing calories. I was also more active though. Hubby lost as well!

Staying strong... I have treats now and then, but otherwise eating healthy.

Frequent Contributor
graycyn
0 Kudos

1.2 pounds lost for me this week and 1.5 pounds gone for hubby! Using a rewards system is working well as motivation for us!

Just bought a couple more ebooks for my library!

smiller492
0 Kudos

I love this!  It's like our own version of Weight Watchers!  I have been using mine while on the elliptical machine (that way I can do the walking part and the upper body part!) and have lost two dress sizes!

Frequent Contributor
graycyn
0 Kudos

That's great! You are doing excellently!

I am not yet using my Nook WHILE exercising, but it could come. Currently I do a lot of pool exercise, so I don't have any way to hold it, aside from not really wanting to immerse it, even in a waterproof cover!

Swimming and reading just don't mix well, LOL!

Frequent Contributor
graycyn
0 Kudos

Well, a small loss this week. Only 0.6 pounds. Still brings me to 10 pounds total, so nothing to sneeze at! Trouble was too many treats plus a fancy anniversary dinner.

OTOH, got a BN gift card as a present, so got to shop for ebooks anyway! I'll have to focus more on keeping calories under control this week.

Frequent Contributor
graycyn
0 Kudos

Loss of 1.0 pounds for the week. I kept calories under control better, and it clearly shows. Just bought more ebooks!

Finished off all the current Jean Auel (Earth's Children series) except for the one that is coming. Started on my Laurie R King (Mary Russell series) with the cheapest one at $5.49.

I guess my mode is to use my pound credits to buy the cheapest books of the ones I want in my library first, while hoping that the longer I take to delve into more expensive books, the more likely prices will come down, LOL!

What was weird is that the first four of the Laurie R King series was all $9.99. Whereas some of the books mid series were much less, as stated. Oh well! I usually like to start buying at the beginning of a series, but not this time.