Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK DIET - I'm losing weight with MY nook

graycyn, everyone who wants to lose weight should find a personal diet to call their own.  You did good!  Your Nook diet was created by you and you are loyal to it.  Your perseverance will get rid of the minimal weight gain from the Holidays.  No one can resist those Christmas cookies.  By the end of February, you should experience a couple of pounds lost.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Frequent Contributor
graycyn

>>

I've been amazed at your continued loss. I love hearing the posts.

<<

Thank you! (I can't get to seem to get the quote function to work, so I'm doing it the old-fashioned way, sorry.)

>>

I'm too much of a cheapskate to buy the ebooks as a reward when the library keeps me supplied, but I'm thinking about using the weight loss reward system, too. Instead of buying an eBook for every pound...I allow myself to have an hour of uninterrupted reading time no matter what is happening. Well, I can dream for that, at least.

<<

I think anything that motivates you as a reward can work, and sometimes time to yourself is priceless!

>>

With your incentive, I started Weight Watchers again. I had lost 12 pounds over the summer but that wasn't because of diet or exercise. Believe it or not, I attribute it to Skechers Shape-Up shoes because that is the ONLY thing I did differently. I didn't buy them to lose weight, I bought them because they were comfortable. I was shocked when I got on the scale a few months later! So, I started the new plan at the beginning of January. I'm down 10 pounds (with about 60 more to go). It's going great.

<<

I'm so glad to hear it! That's interesting about the shoes, I've been tempted on them, but I have a lot of ankle instability due to past injuries, so I'm not sure they'd be suitable for me. I'm having trouble with my feet again this week, so it may be back in the pool more. Frustrating, but it is what it is.

Keep up the good work!

Nook WiFi, Sony 950, 2 Sony 350s.
Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

So glad to hear the updates.  Hope your husband is feeling better, there's been some nasty bugs going around.  I need to start working on losing some weight now - gotta lose the "baby" fat plus (had my daughter X-Mas Eve so time to start losing).  I'd joined the gym again last year then found out I was pregnant a month later so I haven't really been able to use it yet since my Dr wouldn't let me, guess I'd better start going...

Frequent Contributor
graycyn
0 Kudos

Well, hubby is better. Me, I've been kind of depressed with my feet hurting, and have not been good even about getting pool exercise. It's not helping that my computer is suddenly not recognizing my printer!

But I'm trying to get back into the swing and earn some ebooks! Have to post a gain for last week, up 1.8 pounds, most of which is probably water, but some could be fat. I really was overeating last week and didn't start this week out particularly well. But I can end it better, so that's what counts.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

@graycyn

Oh hun, sorry to hear all that. But sometimes things just tend to stack up all at once. There's a tendency to try and eat our way out of an emotional funk. That's how comfort food got it's nickname.

When you feel the urge to do that, tackle the celery sticks or a bag of raw baby carrots, or even an apple. Celery is always good for "chewing with a vengence." :smileyhappy:

And if all else fails, sometimes it feels good to just grab a box of tissues and sit down and have a good cry. Then go take a nice bubble bath and wash your hair with some nice shampoo. Or wear your house slippers all day long!

I'm sure you'll be back on track in no time and earning your bonus books again. :smileywink:

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Inspired Correspondent
emtgirlCV
0 Kudos

I think you are great !!!!!! I loved your comment on weight loss and the Nook ! How cool is this:smileywink: I think this is a great idea, rewarding yourself with books ! Me, I joined Weight Watchers, which is helping, it's slow going, but steady, and doable with the points system, I wish they offered " Weight Watchers " Magazine as one of their Nook Magazines, which would be wonderful...I keep on asking for it, so I'm still waiting on this. I have the Nook Color so I can track my points on the internet via google. I am a total book addict, so I this  reward system of yours is just the ticket......I get weighed in tomorrow...lets see, if I loose, what book would I like to own...ah, the new " Madame Tussuad " sounds good to me...hold on do you do this every week or every month:smileysurprised: Anyway, thanks for the good idea, and welcome to Nook Nation, see you around the boards !

Distinguished Scribe
HungerGamesPerson
0 Kudos

graycyn wrote:

Well, hubby is better. Me, I've been kind of depressed with my feet hurting, and have not been good even about getting pool exercise. It's not helping that my computer is suddenly not recognizing my printer!

But I'm trying to get back into the swing and earn some ebooks! Have to post a gain for last week, up 1.8 pounds, most of which is probably water, but some could be fat. I really was overeating last week and didn't start this week out particularly well. But I can end it better, so that's what counts.

Wow! What an Idea!! I'll bet you could patent that! Books are the best reward:smileyhappy:. I just downloaded the free friday book. Doesn't look as good as last week's but still good!!

Good luck losing weight! I'm glad your husband's better!

Good luck:smileyhappy:

If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
Mother Teresa
For it is in giving that we receive.
Francis of Assisi

Frequent Contributor
graycyn

Thanks everyone! Your thoughts and encouragement *do* help! Anyway, my feet are doing a bit better and I managed to walk a little last week, enough to do my 3x 20 minute sessions to earn an exercise credit. I'm just going to have to make haste more slowly on the exercise front and just keep the eating in check, since I can't exercise as much.

And I am back under my previous low weight with a rather miniscule .2 pound loss this week, but a loss is a loss and I'm heading in the right direction.

I bought myself a book from the $5 book sale with the exercise credit! One I have been trying to find as a library ebook with no luck so far, so I'm happy about getting it!

Distinguished Correspondent
jamartMF
0 Kudos

WTG graycyn and the others posting their weight loss.  Keep up the good work.

Frequent Contributor
graycyn
0 Kudos

Half pound loss this week, which feels good! My feet are still being troublesome, but I'm trying to at least get my 3x 20 minute sessions of exercise done and I'm sure that helps.

Though I had credits enough to buy a book, I'm going to hold them to carryover with whatever I earn next week, so I can get a backlist book I really want to further me to completing a favorite series. I think it's a LendMe too, so that's an added bonus.

Stay strong everyone!

Frequent Contributor
graycyn
0 Kudos

.8 pounds gone this week. Exercise was a bust... I kind of left that to the weekend, got one good class in on Friday and then came down with a bad stomach bug, so could not do further exercise.

I suppose the good thing about having a stomach bug is you don't feel like eating much. My waistline is a wee bit decreased as well. Layer by layer, it's coming off.

Just bought my book, The Moor by Laurie R King. I think knowing I wanted it helped keep me on track with my eating before I got sick.

Hang in there everyone who's trying to lose! Even if it's just a little each week, your efforts will add up over a year's time.

Contributor
IslandAway
0 Kudos

FIrst and foremost...congratulations with your diet.  AWESOME!

Now..my interest was first generated in the thread topic thinking....mmmmm  user can't use Nook due to cheesy fingers from cheese doodles.  

I'm so careful with mine not to get greasy residue on the nook.  Then, on a serious note I followed the thread and thought about the "reward system" for books.   Books are such treasures that I always considered them a reward.  It is interesting to read that others feel the same as I do. 

When I have had sad times in my life, or situations that are less than I wish, I always feel investing in a book is a wonderful escape from my  day to day problems.  (much more healthy too than resorting to drinking) 

This memory ages  me...remember in the summer when the Book Mobiles used to visit our areas.  I vividly remember the one in our area parked in front of the bank.  Each area inside the van  sequestered  book topic by age group, and we were allowed to check out a designated amount of books accourding to our class.  I lived for the summer I was in 5th grade and able to check out more books.  That was the ultimate.  Great memory.

Back to the topic ...How resourceful of you to devise a way to motivate your weight loss by "treating" yourself to books. 

Keep on reading and losing!   Congratulations

Frequent Contributor
graycyn
0 Kudos

Loved your reply... books are my little escape as well. Kind of my Xanax as it were. I like to re-visit and re-read books at intervals too, so my favorites might get read quite a few times over the course of my life.

And I *do* remember Book Mobiles! What we had, when I was in elementary school, was a Book Mobile that came to the school, loaded up full of paperbacks geared towards kids and young adults. I always saved my money for that event, and bought as many books as I could afford. They weren't lent books, you could only buy them. But still, it brought a whole new avenue of books to me. The Book Mobile introduced me to Mary O' Hara's "My Friend Flicka", a classic. Yep, fond, fond memories of that Book Mobile!

And you know what? I still have one of those paperbacks some 40 years later. Cost me all of 60 cents. It is in awful shape, but the funny thing is that it has turned out to be a rare title. I just loved the story and read it to death, more or less. I just saw a similar one go for close to $40 on eBay. I think there is one listed for $75 on Amazon, LOL!

Actually though, with the Nook, I find it is very friendly to reading while dining... a paper book, one slip and you've stained it or spotted it. Nook, however, is quite easy to clean as long as you are careful. Though honestly, I rarely get food on it, as I've long had a habit of being very careful to keep page turning fingers clean. Only with Nook, only one finger is needed to swipe!

Frequent Contributor
graycyn
0 Kudos

Had flu last week, lost my appetite AND TWO POUNDS!

This past week, I've still been coughing some, no exercise, just watching what I ate (mostly soup of various sorts) and I lost another 1.2 pounds.

Without the exercise I don't have a lot of credit to spend even with good losses, but I've bought some inexpensive books that look to be good reads and have also lent and borrowed some books from eBookFling. Being sick gave me a lot of time to read!

Hope to be back to myself soon, it's just been slow.

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover

I broke the 200-pound barrier!!  When I started trying to lose weight last fall, I was at 237 pounds.  This morning, my perky little avatar on Wii Fit proclaimed my weight to be 199.7.  Woo hoo!!

I've now lost 40% of my goal (which is odd, because I sure don't look very different).  I love the new Weight Watchers program.

I know I should celebrate by buying some books for my Nook...but right now, I'd just be happy to have time to read more than a few pages at a time.  Sheesh. 

Thanks for the inspiration!

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80

I ride my exercise bike while reading sometimes, also music can also help, either on your nook directly or if you have an I-Pod or other MP3 device.

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Frequent Contributor
graycyn
0 Kudos

WOW! Congrats on breaking 200 pounds! That's one to celebrate! I've not done quite so well, but slowly, I am getting there.

Seems that some of the weight I lost while sick has come back on, I'm at 222.4 pounds as of yesterday's weigh-in. Which is 2.4 pounds more than my lowest weight of 220 a couple weeks back. But I'm back exercising and that should help a lot.

I've also got my sights set on a one mile walk race in June, hoping to better my time of 18.44.6.

Thank you for YOUR inspiration!