Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
nookthecrook
0 Kudos

NOOK LIED BY OMISSION

The package for nook does not say you need a credit card to use it but without one it is a 250 dollar paper weight, why does b & n say you need a credit card even if you have a gift card, they say for id purposes, well anyone can steal you number and pretend to be you or what if my card is cancelled am I not me at this point, this is ridiculous, MY ADVICE DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT, THEY ARE TIRING TO FORCE THE GENERAL PUBLIC TO GIVE THEM PERSONAL INFORMATION THEY DO NOT NEED, IF THEY WANT AN ID USE A DRIVERS LICENSEE NUMBER OR A NAME AND ADDRESS.  the IRS does not id you by credit card why should a company want to, they don't they want to be able to charge you without you realizing it until you look over your statement. I hope this horrible company is happy with the fact they ruined my child Christmas and birthday.  some people don't own credit cards cause they don't want one and they pay cash for everything. I am not happy with this product or the fifty dollar gift card that I got that is useless, or the 20 dollar book light accessory or the 30 dollar protective cover I got.  I spent a lot of money and it wont work without me compromising my principals

Wordsmith
Runnergirl77

Re: NOOK LIED BY OMISSION

Get real; the CC is required for encryption purposes by the book publishers when purchasing books, not the book store.  You will find this to be true with Kindle and Kobo too.

It might be different if you are sideloading digital books borrowed from a public library, loading using Adobe Digital Editions.  But for purchasing books....sorry.  You'll need a credit card with any bookseller's website.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple

[ Edited ]

Not only is this widely known information, it's in the user manual available on the B&N website.  10 minutes of research would lead you to this on page 54:

Default Credit Card and Billing Information

When you create an account online, specify a default credit card and billing information. This information is required for you to make purchases from your NOOK. It is also required to borrow eBooks.

B&N didn't invent this DRM system, and it's not illogical for a company selling books THROUGH THE INTERNET to expect that their customers will have some method of actually paying for those books that is accepted on the internet.  There are ways of getting around having an actual credit card, like setting up a limited-funds debit card tied to your address if you're worried about it, but if you're that concerned about "releasing your info on the internet", I'm amazed you even had the wherewithal to get on this website in the first place.  

Watch out!  They're tracking you right now!!

Seriously.  Most people who are this paranoid are "smart" enough not to buy electronic devices that require registration.  

Correspondent
kivvie
0 Kudos

Whine whine whine.

The device is 3G/wifi ... like many cell phones .. which also tend to need a credit card. Did you ask before purchasing?

Also, if this is for your child, it seems beneficial to me to sideload books. This way you know what your child is reading. You only need a credit card on your account if you are purchasing books from B&N. This does not make your device a paperweight.

Chill. (and it is a principle .. the principal is your pal)

PBReilley

Break out the tin foil.

New User
nookthecrook
0 Kudos

I am not paranoid I am upset because it is rediculous to number one put that information on page 54 of an internet book not on the pacaging number two you are the one who should get real, People just bow to corperations who force us to give up more and more of our personal information.  Why because they say we may steal it. Well honestly they have so much encription on it it is impossible to steal if one were so inclined, it takesa less effort ot go read it for free at a library.  My point is it should be listed on the BOX that it requires a credit card to work just like any video game has specks so should this.  and it is not general knoledge my grandmother who is a very bright woman but is 89 years old has no idea what all this crap means

AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

nookthecrook wrote:

I spent a lot of money and it wont work without me compromising my principals

Haven't you ever bought anything online?  You have to use a credit card.

Principles schminciples.

New User
nookthecrook
0 Kudos

my cell phone doesnt need a credit card because i have a real account that i pay by the month. and yes i asked if i would have to give a credit card for the 3 g or if it cost money to opperate the 3 g and i was told no

New User
nookthecrook
0 Kudos

yes i have bought things on line with pay pal and i  didnt give my fifteen year old free run of a card to do it

New User
nookthecrook
0 Kudos

My kid would not put charges on my card on unless they were hidden charges she didn't see but what if the book gets lost or stolen. Why should I have to cancel my card for this. They should take pay pal or some other protected form of payment but they shouldn't need any more payment than the gift card it is all ridiculous you guys are OK with it because that is just the way it is but it wouldn't be just the way it is if people would stand up for themselves geez does no one in the consumer market question the wisdom of these things anymore.

Wordsmith
Runnergirl77

Take a chill and listen.  YOU DO NOT NEED A CREDIT CARD TO OPERATE A NOOK.  Only to PURCHASE eBooks, and that's from ANY company....Borders, Chapters, Amazon (although I wouldn't go there, unless you want to write them nasty notes too).

Download Adobe Digital Editions; it's free.  Get a library card.  Most of those are free, too.  If you are lucky, your library already offers eBook loans.  If not, go write nasty, overheated notes to them, too.

Correspondent
kivvie

Another idea is to call up Discover card. They will create a "just for one business" card that will only work at Barnes and Noble. It is quite easy to then deactivate the card in your account if the nook was lost or stolen.

But really ... in order to buy ANY ebook, you need a credit card. It has to do with the DRM encryption. If you want to yell, go yell at the people who designed that, not here.

You can use the library to get all the ebooks you want. I do it ALL THE TIME. Right now I am reading a library book. You don't have to have a credit card for that.

You can buy the books you want on your computer and then SIDELOAD them onto the nook.

I will say that the agent you spoke to was wrong, if they told you a credit card was not needed. Go yell at them, not here. Barnes and Noble is quite upfront about the need for a credit card. Do you always believe sales people? Sorry, but I do my own research. I do not believe sales people as many of them are paid on comission -- and I used to own a retail business.

Return it if needed, but direct your anger and vitriol at other locations.

New User
nookthecrook
0 Kudos

If they were so upfront they would put it on the box now wouldn't they and I have already complained elsewhere

Wordsmith
gandalf1369

Kinda makes you realize why the "Darwin Awards" were instituted . . .  :smileyvery-happy:

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
New User
nookthecrook
0 Kudos

Besides people can have ten credit cards and only one real name, if they want to associate the book to an individual they are going about it the wrong way, not to mention what happens when your card expires and you get a new number? Or it is stolen and you turn it off, it is just ridiculous and if you do not think so that is your prerogative but I do not agree that is should be the way things are.

New User
nookthecrook
0 Kudos

yes they were made for people like you that dont see anything wrong with being forced to give your credit card info when you have already given them money for what you need.

Reader 2
sherylgi

Such fun to read! Thanks to all the sane ones out there who replied!

Contributor
Victor3000
0 Kudos

Well, I remembered them being upfront about it. 

What do you propose? Should they refuse to sell it to you without proof of a CC?

*Insert Signature Here*
nkr
Frequent Contributor
nkr
0 Kudos

Amazon DOES NOT require a credit card to purchase Kindle ebooks.  Those who have posted otherwise are wrong.  From the Amazon FAQ's:

"You are not required to have a credit or debit card on your Amazon.com account to make digital purchases such as Kindle books, but you must establish a default 1-Click billing address on your Amazon.com account to useAmazon.com gift cards for digital purchases."

Found here.

nkr
Frequent Contributor
nkr
0 Kudos

What is all this business about a credit card being required by publishers for encryption purposes?  I have been ordering eBooks for 3 years and have never heard that one before.  Is that a B&N thing?