Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

nkr
Frequent Contributor
nkr
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK LIED BY OMISSION

To nookthecrook:

I understand why you would not want to get a credit card for the sole purpose of using an eReader and purchasing books for it.  My niece does not have a credit card, but she received a Kindle for Christmas along with a $50 Amazon gift card.  She has ordered a cover, skin and several books already.  She can also save her coins and redeem them at a CoinStar machine that gives Amazon gift cards.  That's how she intends to fund her book habit.

New User
nookthecrook
0 Kudos

I don't know but at the least I wasted fifty dollars on the Barns and Nobel gift card,  I will do my purchasing from Amazon if they do not require a credit card, I should have gotten a kindle I suppose.

Frequent Contributor
Nook_Library

Why don't you return your nook, and go buy a Kindle? Sounds like that would solve all of your problems.

Frequent Contributor
Nook_Library
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

nookthecrook wrote:

I don't know but at the least I wasted fifty dollars on the Barns and Nobel gift card,  I will do my purchasing from Amazon if they do not require a credit card, I should have gotten a kindle I suppose.

You might ask the manager at B&N to refund you the price of the gift card because you were told incorrect information about the nook. I would think they could refund you considering they were the ones giving out faulty information.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

nkr wrote:

What is all this business about a credit card being required by publishers for encryption purposes?  I have been ordering eBooks for 3 years and have never heard that one before.  Is that a B&N thing?

B&N's DRM encryption uses the credit card to create an encryption key to unlock the book.  The card number is not stored on the device anywhere, it is just used to prevent people from buying an eBook and setting up a Netflix type system.

Kindle handles it differently, they tie the book to the device and I believe for most books you can put the book on 6 devices max.

Other stores such as Kobo and Sony use Adobe Digital Editions, which ties to book to your online ADE account.  Again, I believe you are limited to 6 devices attached to your ADE account.

There is no limit to the number of devices you can put a B&N eBook on, but you have to enter the cc number once so that any books that are sideloaded from B&N can be opened.  This does allow you to share eBooks with close friends and relatives assuming you have no problem entering your cc once on their Nook.  And since it isn't stored on the Nook, there's really no risk.

You can get a pre-paid debit or credit card and use that, as long as you can register it and attach a billing address to it.  Load it with a small amount of money and then use gift cards for your purchases.

You can buy books from Sony, Kobo, BooksonBoard, Borders, etc and sideload the books, and you won't need a credit card.  And you can use library books, so you can use it, but you cannot buy books from B&N without the credit card.

Wordsmith
Tweedledee

[ Edited ]

Page 64 nook user guide is quite clear that a Default Credit Card is required for all puchases with a nook.  Actually crystal clear.

Suggestion for future reference - RTFM.

It is not required for side loading of material from other sources, however if you purchase e-book material on line at Boarders, Kobo, Sony, BAM, Books on Board, etc...they too require a credit card. 

Your alternative is a pre-paid credit card registered to your address as the Default Credit Card.  Tale the 50.00 gift card convert the doggone thing to the pre-paid card and then when it runs out reload the doggone thing.

Or since you appear to want to be angry - return the nook, the gift card and buy a Kindel. 

Meanwhile you are not yelling at B&N people when you post like this - you are yelling at people like yourself and that is just plain rude.

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
Bertrand Russell
Bibliophile
bklvr896

nookthecrook wrote:

You can't put books purchased at Amazon on the Nook, because Amazon uses a proprietary DRM that can only be read on a Kindle or a Kindle App.

Wordsmith
Runnergirl77

I've also heard that you can't borrow library books with a Kindle either.

Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

Runnergirl77 wrote:

You heard correctly.

Inspired Correspondent
MarkinStLouis

I may be wrong about this, but I've always been under the impression that the CC as part of encryption thing is a hold over from the encryption used on .pdb books - originally Palm Digital Media, then Fictionwise/Ereader, which B&N bought out and used as their own. (Yeah, I know: massive run-on there!).  Anyway, like the last poster said: it's not stored on the Nook, and is only used as part of the DRM encryption.

That being said, I don't see any harm in in B&N putting a note on the Nook boxes stating something like "Note: a valid credit card is required to be kept on file with B&N.com in order to purchase and use e-books purchased from B&N.com".  Yes, you can argue that people should inform themselves before making purchases, but seeing the number of threads about this very issue, maybe B&N should think about this.

I am not a Nook hater: I love my nook, and have no plans on getting rid of it.  However, I wouldn't call the Nook "perfect", and we, as a community, should work together to inform B&N of any issues we have so that the Nook can become even better.  By making it better, it will become more popular.  By making it more popular, we'll be more likely to have Nooks in 10, 15, 20 years time.  The name calling and sarcasm that I've been seeing lately is only turning people off, and, IMHO, should be toned down.

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1

nookthecrook wrote:

My kid would not put charges on my card on unless they were hidden charges she didn't see but what if the book gets lost or stolen. Why should I have to cancel my card for this. They should take pay pal or some other protected form of payment but they shouldn't need any more payment than the gift card it is all ridiculous you guys are OK with it because that is just the way it is but it wouldn't be just the way it is if people would stand up for themselves geez does no one in the consumer market question the wisdom of these things anymore.

You can set up the nook so that you have to have a password to make any purchases and your cc info isn't on the nook.  Even if it gets lost or stolen whoever has it can't make a purchase without your password.

nkr
Frequent Contributor
nkr
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

You can't put books purchased at Amazon on the Nook, because Amazon uses a proprietary DRM that can only be read on a Kindle or a Kindle App.

Can Nookbooks be read on other devices?

nkr
Frequent Contributor
nkr
0 Kudos

Runnergirl77 wrote:

That is correct.  If you want to borrow books from a library that only offers ePub books, the Kindle is not the eReader for you.  

Inspired Correspondent
MarkinStLouis
0 Kudos

nkr wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

Can Nookbooks be read on other devices?

Only on devices that can run the Nook app, such as an iPhone, iPad, Android phone, or PC.  Other ereader devices will not work (unless something has changed recently that I'm not aware of). 

Wordsmith
Runnergirl77

From what I've read, NookBooks can only be read on a Nook, much like Amazon eBooks must be loaded onto a Kindle. 

However, unlike the Kindle, Nook can also read other formats (ePub, etc.).  These must be sideloaded using software like Adobe Digital Editions.  Rather than showing up as a Book in your Library, they show up as a Document.

Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard

Both of you have heard/read incorrectly. There are a limited number of other devices that can read Nookbooks (such as the Pandigital Novel). More importantly, B&N is more than willing to license their DRM so that any other device can read them.

DRM is evil, but it's a reality, at least for now. There's basically two schemes in which DRM can be used: some hardware key that locks purchases to use on specified devices (usually limited, and typical is 3-6 devices). Own more, or replace them often enough, you no longer will be able to access the DRMed product. Grr. The other scheme is as B&N does, use some personal information that a user is unlikely to share with others. Now you don't have to worry about the product being locked to some device(s), but you have to give up personal info. Further, if that personal info changes (you close down a credit card account for instance), it can become difficult or even impossible to continue to use the DRMed product.

DRM doesn't slow the pirate down, but it sure is (at best) an inconvenience for the legitimate consumers. I think we're slowly learning this and moving away from DRM, but it's going to be a very slow migration, and angry tirades on boards like this aren't going to help.

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/wekempf
Bibliophile
bklvr896

Nevermore1 wrote:

nookthecrook wrote:

My kid would not put charges on my card on unless they were hidden charges she didn't see but what if the book gets lost or stolen. Why should I have to cancel my card for this. They should take pay pal or some other protected form of payment but they shouldn't need any more payment than the gift card it is all ridiculous you guys are OK with it because that is just the way it is but it wouldn't be just the way it is if people would stand up for themselves geez does no one in the consumer market question the wisdom of these things anymore.

You can set up the nook so that you have to have a password to make any purchases and your cc info isn't on the nook.  Even if it gets lost or stolen whoever has it can't make a purchase without your password.

And even if the Nook itself gets stolen, they don't get your credit card number because it isn't stored on the Nook anywhere so you wouldn't have to cancel the card.  The best they could do would be to purchase books from B&N and you can protect that by putting a password on to purchase books.  They can't go to the site and purchase books because they don't have your account password.  

You've got just as much risk with a cc when you swipe it at gas station or give it to the waitstaff at a restaurant who walks away with it.

In any event, if you're willing to listen, you have been provided with other options to putting a credit card on file, but it doesn't appear as though you are willing to listen to anything anyone has to say.

nkr
Frequent Contributor
nkr
0 Kudos

sirwillard wrote:

DRM is evil, but it's a reality, at least for now. There's basically two schemes in which DRM can be used: some hardware key that locks purchases to use on specified devices (usually limited, and typical is 3-6 devices). Own more, or replace them often enough, you no longer will be able to access the DRMed product. 

sirwillard,

As I understand it, I can register as many devices on my Amazon Kindle account as I want.  I currently have 8 devices on mine (Kindles, iPods, iPad, Kindle for Mac and PC).  Any devices that I add in the future will have access to all the books on my Kindle account, but only a specified number (usually 6), set by the publisher, can have a book downloaded at the same time.  Is that how the Nook works?

I'm asking questions here because I have a family member who really wants a NookColor and I want accurate info for her.

Frequent Contributor
Barbara1955
0 Kudos

No Amazon has NEVER asked me for Credit Card I been downloading books to my computer for yr!!!   

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Barbara1955 wrote:

No Amazon has NEVER asked me for Credit Card I been downloading books to my computer for yr!!!   

And as stated several times, the Kindle uses a different type of DRM that is tied to the physical device.  B&N uses a DRM that sets an encryption key using the credit card and some other information unique to each individual, but doesn't tie it to a specific device.