Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone

Re: NOOK LIED BY OMISSION

A traveler wanders into a village looking for the village Wiseman.
He stops the first villager he sees and asks, "Where can I find the Wiseman".
The villager answers, "He is by the well arguing with the village idiot."
The traveler listens to the argument for a while and returns to the villager.
"Which is the Wiseman and which is the idiot?"

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

gstone wrote:

A traveler wanders into a village looking for the village Wiseman.
He stops the first villager he sees and asks, "Where can I find the Wiseman".
The villager answers, "He is by the well arguing with the village idiot."
The traveler listens to the argument for a while and returns to the villager.
"Which is the Wiseman and which is the idiot?"

Great, great point.

And to those of you thinking the employee was not quite honest or aware-this seems to have been a misunderstanding.  It sounds like the employee believed the OP was asking if you had to pay for 3G and needed a credit card for that.

For the OP, you can set up and account with BN, complete with email and password and never enter a cc number and use your nook by sideloading all content or has been stated by taking out library books.  There is a lot of free content out there, but that means you may have to do some work.  You would have to check into your library and see if they offer ebooks using Adobe Digital Editions, which is free.  Or, you can go to Gutenberg and read public domain books, or you can go to other sites that have free, often self-published ebooks that you sideload.  The thing is you will be unable to buy or even get the free ebooks from BN.

If you don't have a cc, you can also get the pre-paid visa from most big retailers-my local grocery store sells them, too.  I think you buy one for like $5 and then tell them how much money you want on it. 

The thing is, credit cards are linked to you personally, since the credit card must also have a valid address attached to it.

There is nothing hidden about needing this to buy ebooks and nothing so ominous either.  There are ways to deal with it if you have neither a cc or a debit card.  But that is only if one can take their finger out of their er, ear long enough to appreciate the help being given.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
New User
Disposed
0 Kudos

Wow just wow. Its hard to believe these forums are run by B&N directly. The amount of animosity and rampant fanboyism is disgusting.

There is absolutely NO REASON WHATSOEVER for B&N to require a credit card.

If it really is for DRM then use something else. With dozens of DRM schemes out there give me one good reason why they need to require a credit card. You can buy prepaid cards everywhere anymore theres not much reason to require a CC.

To the OP, hit up walmart and get a prepaid they work just fine.

Frequent Contributor
Hummey

Oh holy cow, go away.

Tony

"As for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last he will take His stand on the earth" Job 19:25
Frequent Contributor
Barbara1955
0 Kudos

I was told by sales persons that I can use Gift Cards to buy eBooks NO one said a thing about NEEDING a cc to activate the nook to begin with.  grrrr  

Today I found out your only Allowed 3 gift cards....someone care to explain that Rule!! 

A friend ordered me a Egift card 7PM Dec 31st I Still have yet to Recieve it [Now Jan 1st 135AM]  cripe!

Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing

People who have no problem providing a credit card are not rampant fanboys.  We've just embraced the 'e' in e-book.

If you don't like it, the options have been presented which are basically to:

• register your cc
  • get a prepaid card with billing and register that
  • return the nook

Having it on the box as a 'warning' isn't needed.  Neither is a warning that it can't play flash, can't download apps from the android store and can't make a latte.

I bought software online (non-refundable).  However, the TOS, which you had to agree to were too restrictive for me and literally required an advertisment if I posted an image online that I created with the software and also had some dubious commerical restrictions.  I returned it as I couldn't agree to that and was refunded.

Much ado about nothing.

Grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!
Distinguished Correspondent
smiller492

Huh.... never read everything that came with my nook, yet I knew that I would need a cc attached to my account to purchase ebooks from B&N.

That said, the info is on your account, not the devise.  If it bothers you, just purchase and use a prepaid cc that you can buy anywhere.  Like posted before, this is just for B&N, you can sideload from libraries and other places without a cc.  As for the gift cards, just keep track of the totals on the cards.  When one is empty, load in a new one. 

Chillax, there's no conspiracy. 

smiller492

By the way, you are on a B&N site 'talking' with a bunch of nook owners... Of course we are going to be 'fanboys'.  Would time be spent like this if we weren't?

Duh

MegSLP

First off, if B&N put all the warnings on the box that random people think should be on there then you are basically putting the entire user manual on the box.  Nobody is going to read it.

Second, yes, we are "fanboys" (I'm a fangirl, thank you very much).  We like our devices.  We come here to talk about how awesome NOOKs are.  There is nothing wrong with that.  I also think that B&N is rather pleased to have a forum filled with people who love their device and are willing to give out advice to people who are experiencing difficulties with their NOOK.

Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

You should be on jerry springer.  It'd be as interesting as this thread is.

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!
very-simple

It would also be one thing if B&N did put a whole bunch of crap all over the box, but neglected to put this information there.  But looking at my box (which, for some reason I've kept in a drawer for the past year), it's got NOTHING on it other than "Barnes & Noble" and "nook".  

This very lack of ANY information would indicate that you have to go elsewhere to get pertinent information about the device.

(Of course, I'm still trying to understand how the OP can, in the same breath, claim to never use anything but cash because he's so damn paranoid and at the same time claim to have bought a networked device that he did zero research about).  

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

[ Edited ]

I've been a laureling fool in this thread.

B&N chose a DRM encryption process that requires a credit card be stored in the account to which the device is registered.  It is absolutely their right to do so.  The credit card doesn't even need to be a "real" credit card.  It can be a debit card.  It can be a PAYPAL debit card.  It can even be a prepaid AMEX, VISA or MASTERCARD, as long as that card can be tied back to a physical address.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Technical-Support/Child-acct-don-t-want-to-have-default-...

Books can then be bought by using that default credit card or by using gift cards added to the account,.

If that is an unacceptable DRM scheme for you, you have other options, including Kindle who does not require a credit card.  Their system (and hardware!) have other limitations, which many people find unacceptable.  Go get a Kindle if that will make you happier, though.  Nobody in this thread is implying that NOOK is perfect or perfect for everybody.  

As you can see, most NOOK users are perfectly happy with the current encryption situation.

I'm now going to go wash out my colander.  It seems that I might need a hat today - and its aluminum is thicker than foil.

AndyfromVA

I'm now going to go wash out my colander.  It seems that I might need a hat today - and its aluminum is thicker than foil.

:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

mousetater

Did you get to see the Nook box before you bought it? I bought mine in a B&N store.  I played with the demo unit, had all my questions answered, and was provided with information on things I didn't think to ask about. When I was ready to buy, they told me to go to the cashier, tell them I was buying a NOOK, and they would bring one up to the desk for me.  I didn't see the box before making my purchase.  And surely those who buy online don't see the box before receiving their NOOK. As mentioned previously, since there is nothing on the box except Barnes & Noble and NOOK, it would seem logical that all pertinent information is located somewhere else.

Assuming you were given bad/misleading information by a sales clerk, return the NOOK and get something that you feel more comfortable with.  I'll wish you well as I read my free library eBooks.

Wordsmith
Tweedledee

[ Edited ]

@Ya_Ya

Do not know how many JRT(s) that you have - but better get some smaller ones (colanders) with ear holes (tin snips work well) - they too need protection from the evil "rays".

My three do not go without during dark times like these :smileyvery-happy:

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
Bertrand Russell
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

You just made my day.  :smileytongue:

One JRT and one 30 some pound Heinz 57.  I do have a mini colander that would fit the JRT just fine.  Now what to do for the mutt?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

You just made my day.  :smileytongue:

One JRT and one 30 some pound Heinz 57.  I do have a mini colander that would fit the JRT just fine.  Now what to do for the mutt?

I think mutts are immune.

Wordsmith
Tweedledee
0 Kudos

@Ya_Ya

Have a large funnel - I hear the tin man look is in for mutt - no worries about the ears the funnel should fit just fine between the either floppy or upright ears.

Prior poster maybe accurate - however I would err to the safe side.  :smileysurprised:

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
Bertrand Russell
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

I just reread that.  You have THREE Jack Russells?  I am in awe that you have the sanity left (and energy!) to read anything.

Clearly I love him, but he's exhausting.  Were it not for nearby dog parks, I might have lost the last tenuous grip on sanity that I have.  :smileywink:

Wordsmith
Tweedledee

Yep three girls - and believe me sanity is highly overrated.  Two rescue and one puppy that I got in 1998, now 12 the boss of me and light of my life.  The rescues have come and gone - but these two stayed on to create the ungodly triumvirate.

I did not mention the Airedale which as I type is on the chair with the "boss" - I gave up ages ago I do not own the furniture (hence the word "fur" in furniture).

Anarchy is my true friend, without it I would be.....well bored?  :smileyvery-happy:

Bertrand Russell