Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
templenoire
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK LIED BY OMISSION

It doens't matter if you're that paranoid about using your cc, just go buy one of those loadable visa gift cards and use that.  They have some that are strictly for internet purchases and you can even attach a billing address to them!

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum

gandalf1369 wrote:

Kinda makes you realize why the "Darwin Awards" were instituted . . .  :smileyvery-happy:

LOL  It's so nice to see everything remained the same while I was gone...  :smileywink:

Why do people purchase without researching?  I'll never understand it...

Distinguished Correspondent
smiller492
0 Kudos

FrogAlum wrote:

Why do people purchase without researching?  I'll never understand it...

If anything they are 'job security' for those that work in Returns!

Frequent Contributor
JediFarfy
0 Kudos

FYI for those with lots of gift cards: you can merge gift cards. Just "buy" the amount on one for another and pay with the gift card. :smileyvery-happy:

As for no research, I've been at the nook desk since before Christmas and I'm AMAZED at what people just make up in their minds or just never ask about and assume. I've had several people think that for $250 they're getting a device with ALL the books on it. I've had many people get a wifi device with no wifi at home who don't understand that their internet is not automatically wireless.

SO many people are just jumping in and buying these without asking ALL the questions. I will sit there with people and make them think of new questions or just start listing everything I know from account set up to routers to buying stuff from other sites. I don't want them to come back with it because of some issue they never asked about or researched.

B&N Bookseller
RedRapier
0 Kudos

JediFarfy wrote:

FYI for those with lots of gift cards: you can merge gift cards. Just "buy" the amount on one for another and pay with the gift card. :smileyvery-happy:

----------------------------------------------------------

Just be aware that while all stores may not enforce it, this is against policy.

my life is a Soap Opera, and I want a new head writer!
Frequent Contributor
Guyon
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Why are you guys feeding the Troll?

Didn't you read the No Troll feeing sign? LOL

Look if you do not like your NookColor just take it back.  No big deal  :smileytongue:

Reader
crazeemom28
0 Kudos

I believe what others are trying to tell you is that you do not have to enter your credit card to use the nook. If you do not want to then don't. You just will not be able to buy the books through your nook. You can buy them on your computer then and then just side load them on to your nook without ever having to enter your credit card information. The nook will work the same. Again though, you just can not buy them from the nook itself. I am sorry you were mistaken about this issue. It is true though that all eBook readers need a credit card to actually be able to buy from the ereader itself. However, as I said, you do not have to buy them from the nook itself.

The library idea is a good one as well that does not take a credit card. Just your library card at your local library (as long as they do have eBooks) then you just side load them on to your nook, without ever giving out your cc information. Good luck and happy reading!