Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

NOOK Official Update V1.3 Has Arrived!

[ Edited ]

NOOK Update V1.3 Has Arrived

The NOOK software update has arrived!

The software update is available via Wi-Fi or you can download it here at http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/.  

(Note: This update will not be distributed via the 3G network).*

NOOK V1.3 improves performance while adding great new features including:

• Read in Store:  While in any Barnes & Noble store you can read complete eBooks at No Cost!
  • Additional improvements to optimize NOOK’s performance including:
    • Additional reading and device performance enhancements
    • Improved page turn speed
    • Faster access to previously opened eBooks
    • Enhanced Color Touch screen navigation and more.

• Wi-Fi:  Connect to more Wi-Fi hotspots and log in with ease. Plus, we’ve added Wi-Fi to NOOK’s home menu for super-fast access.
  • Web browser (Beta): Connect to Wi-Fi and explore the Web on NOOK’s E-Ink® display. Use the color touchscreen to navigate your favorite sites and type in URLs with NOOK’s virtual keyboard at No Cost!
  • Updated home screen:  From the home menu (located on the color touch screen), get easy, direct access to existing features including Wi-Fi settings and Audio, as well as new features such as Games and the Web Browser.
  • Games:  Play Chess against NOOK with one of three levels of difficulty. Or get puzzled with Sudoku, choosing from four levels of play.

Only registered NOOKs will receive the automatic Wi-Fi software update. On a registered NOOK, make sure you have Wi-Fi connectivity and are connected to a hotspot and then tap ‘Check for new B&N content’ in the My Library area.  Keep in mind that Airplane mode should be OFF and Wi-Fi should be turned ON

If you don't have a registered NOOK, or if you don't have Wi-Fi, you can manually download the software update to your computer and then drag it onto your NOOK.

To manually download NOOK V1.3 simply follow these steps:

1. Connect your NOOK to your computer using the USB cable that came with your NOOK. A new, removable NOOK drive should show up in My Computer. You should also see a "USB Mode" image on your NOOK screen. Make sure your NOOK battery charge is at 20% or more.
  2. The software update is via manual download, available here or, for NOOKs connected to Wi-Fi®, via automatic download over the next week. (Note: This update will not be distributed via the 3G network.) For an automatic Wi-Fi® update, you may need to 'Check for new B&N content' via the My Library area in order to initiate the update.
  3. Drag and drop the downloaded file onto the main directory of the NOOK drive. You do not need to create a new folder or add the file to an existing folder.
  4. Eject or Safely Remove the NOOK drive after the file transfer is complete.
  5. Your NOOK will recognize the file and proceed to install the updates. Please do not turn off your NOOK during the installation process.
  6. Once the installation is completed, your NOOK will automatically go to the Home screen.

Congratulations, your NOOK has been updated!

I have attached some Video Tutorials including How To Update Your NOOK (the links below will take you to the update page where the videos can be found):

Video Tutorial:
How to Update Your NOOK
3:19

Video Tutorial:
New NOOK software update version 1.3
3:38

The process takes approximately 5-7 minutes via Wi-Fi or 4-5 minutes for the manual download (depending on your connection). You should NOT turn your NOOK off while the new software is being downloaded. Once the software update is completed, your NOOK will automatically restart and display the Home screen. The software update will preserve your personal settings, including your registered account information, content, display settings, and Wi-Fi settings.

To verify you have the latest update, go to Settings and check to see that your Software version is 1.3.0.

*If you sync your locker (Check for new B&N content) via 3G, your NOOK will get a notification that v1.3 is available via Wi-Fi and Sideload.  This automatic message shows up in the Daily.  If you then connect to Wi-Fi, you must again sync your locker (Check for new B&N content) to get the actual software update.

If you need additional help please post a reply here or you can call Customer Service NOOK support at 1-800-843-2665.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Inspired Correspondent
Phigment
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK Official Update V1.3 Has Arrived!

Well I got the update last night, side loaded it. For me it had no problems connecting to my wifi, and I'd say my page turns were quicker. I'm still on the fence about the lcd screen being more responsive or not, it could be, but I didn't use it overly much except to navigate to the next book to read. The games and web  browsing I can take it or leave it. Assuming they really did fix some of the more (subjective) critical issues like freezing and battery life then that will really help out others in more need than I. What I did notice, and it could be because i was right in the middle of a book at the time is, the progress bar at the bottom of the screen seems to disapear and come back a lot, not an issue i had before the update. I think that's the worse thing that happened to me with the update. I did check out the audio player, and looks like it still can't/won't differentiate between Music mp3 and audiobooks mp3's.

So i guess if their main idea was a release to fix more of the under-the-hood issues, and toss in a couple of gotta-keep-up-with-the-jones's addons... i guess the accomplished thier mission.

So, we might as well keep up our ranting and raving about the things we wanted but didn't appear.

Such as a goto page #

ability to delete side-loaded books without having to connect to a computer.

seperation between Audiobooks and music mp3's

Better folder management for side-loaded books

ok... this list is going to go on and on and on... I'm curious now what nook devs will do with a new update to play with.

Contributor
smcsk8
0 Kudos

Page turns are a lot faster on mine, so YAY! 

I don't expect to use the games, but the browser could be nice for basic web browsing and downloading books from other sites (we can do that now, right?)

Frequent Contributor
MLBerry
0 Kudos

If you want everything often you get nothing.  These 4 items are what I want too.  Let's focus on these 4 for the next update.  Those four will be enough to make me happy.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

Michael,

You indicate that we can now read a complete ebook in store, the unbound blog states there is a one hour time limit on reading in store, can you clarify who is correct?

Phigment,

To add to the list of things the new release still doesn't do:

Sync with PC and other devices.  Was off by a full chapter with my PC, which by the way is about as good as it's ever done.  Doesn't sync at all with my ipod touch or blackberry.

Contributor
Catgal63
0 Kudos

I just downloaded it and so far love it!  Hey, I can check out my facebook from my nook---how great is that?   You get an A+ from me! I don't think it is the BEST way to use the internet, but we now have the option-I love it!

Distinguished Correspondent
naylorchic
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I also downloaded it last night. My only gripe is that my Wifi is worse. It won't connect to my home (WPA) network. It did before. My laptops are working fine on network. They nook did connect when I opened it up for a few minutes. When I was on version 1.1 it didn't like my WPA either then version 1.2 did like it. Now 1.3 doesn't like it either :robotsad: Any tips Michael?

P.S. Improved notes & highlights would have been great too.

Inspired Correspondent
Phigment
0 Kudos

naylorchic wrote:

I also downloaded it last night. My only gripe is that my Wifi is worse. It won't connect to my home (WPA) network. It did before. My laptops are working fine on network. They nook did connect when I opened it up for a few minutes. When I was on version 1.1 it didn't like my WPA either then version 1.2 did like it. Now 1.3 doesn't like it either :robotsad: Any tips Michael?

Naylor does your ssid have spaces in it? I went overly simplistic mine is just called Netgear. And near as I can tell my wifi is fine, and i'm useing a wep key.

New User
NickAS
0 Kudos

I agree with the above postings. Very happy with the speed increase in the page turns. That was always something that irked me, and it has very steadily improved, to the point that now it really is no slower than a physical page turn. Browser is okay, I guess in a pinch I'd use it for checking email, but that's not why I got the Nook. I think that the physical technology utilized for the touch screen is what is hampering improvements in speed, but I spend 90 percent of the time I'm using my Nook reading a book, so I can deal with this limitation. I agree tenfold that go to page # is neccessary, especially with a lack of link up with my Iphone. Haven't checked this to see if the link up has been improved, but noticed other posters noting no real improvement. To me the most important thing is the page turn speed and I think that we have finally reached the point that any aggravation related to this has been minimized/eliminated.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@Ed_Mart,

You can read a complete eBook in the store, but there is a one hour time limit.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

New User
OmniAtlas
0 Kudos

The new update is excellent -- much faster turning speed. Love the new features. 

The web browser is a good start! 

Please implement the pan features seen in the web browser with PDF files, it will make reading them on the Nook actually possible!

My only complaint is I'm still having trouble trying to swipe turn page. I've watched the how to swipe videos, so I know I'm doing it correctly. I don't know if I just have a partly broken nook or the sensitivity still has not been tweaked? Touch screen works fine on the main screen. 

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

Michael-V wrote:

@Ed_Mart,

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Thanks.

naylorchic
0 Kudos

Phigment wrote:

Naylor does your ssid have spaces in it? I went overly simplistic mine is just called Netgear. And near as I can tell my wifi is fine, and i'm useing a wep key.

Mine is TRENDnet. Mine is WPA. When I was on Version 1.1 my nook worked w/ WEP, WPA2 & Open. My laptops however didn't not like WEP & WPA2.  Therefore I haven't tried switching my network to that. Is anyone else having probs connecting w/ WPA?

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

Mine is a Netgear n router backward compatible with g, set to WPA-PSK [TKSP].  After the update it automatically connected with the network.  Unlike updating to 1.2 I did not have to re-enter the passkey.

Inspired Correspondent
Phigment

naylorchic wrote:

Phigment wrote:

Mine is TRENDnet. Mine is WPA. When I was on Version 1.1 my nook worked w/ WEP, WPA2 & Open. My laptops however didn't not like WEP & WPA2.  Therefore I haven't tried switching my network to that. Is anyone else having probs connecting w/ WPA?

Naylor, I stole this post from Rav_bunny

A lot of people, including myself, found that our WEP wifi settings/password no longer worked with version 1.3 of the nook. I tried everything on my nook like using Auto, Hex or other ways to enter the password and nothing at all worked.

Cut to the chase -- You want it fixed now. You don't care what the problem is.

Step 1 - Rename your wifi router SSID (It's wifi name)

Step 2 - Reboot router

Step 3 - Connect with nook

Another option is to change from WEP to some form of WPA or vice versa.

"But, Rav, I liked my old settings."
Fine, after you do all the above steps and connect then turn around and put it back the way it was. The simple act of changing SSID or encryption type on the router seems to be enough to work around whatever corrupted cached data is giving the nook a brainfart.

This has been a preemptive update notice for the betterment of all nook-kind. 

PS Bunnies rule! :3

Frequent Contributor
Orestes55
0 Kudos

I think this update is a vast improvement and I am quite happy with it.  Highlighting and looking up words are now much faster, the touch screen is more responsive, and the new features will be useful.  I won't be using this web browser to "browse," but I will certainly be using it to load text-heavy webpages that I need to read.  There are a few extra features that would have been nice in this update that aren't here (such as the Go To Page #), but it looks like the original features have been streamlined for a much better user experience.  We will have to wait to see if the freezing issues have been corrected (although I haven't had much of a problem with that).

I was happy with my Nook before, and now I am even more satisfied.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@naylorchic,

Not to worry, I am looking into this for you and will respond on this thread with any updates. 

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

smiller492
0 Kudos

Ed_Mart wrote:

Michael-V wrote:

@Ed_Mart,

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Thanks.

So read real fast!

naylorchic
0 Kudos

Michael-V wrote:

@naylorchic,

Not to worry, I am looking into this for you and will respond on this thread with any updates. 

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Thanks Michael! I appreciate it.

@Phigment

Thanks for the tip! I'm at work so I can't test it right now. If Michael doesn't have an answer by the time I get home this evening I will def try this. Thanks again!

Inspired Correspondent
Phigment
0 Kudos

smiller492 wrote:

Ed_Mart wrote:

Michael-V wrote:

@Ed_Mart,

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Thanks.

So read real fast!

I wonder what that 1 hour is based on? 1 hour for each time you connect to the B&N brick Bookstore, or 1 hour per 12 or 24 hour period? I'm thinking right now it might be based on each time you connect inside a B&N store. Which means... in theory, you can go into the store start reading for an hour, go out of range then go back into the store and reconnect ... NOW comes the fun part.... trying to get to the location you left off at.

So...any bored souls out there curious enough to find out if you can only read 1 hour per Day or per connection inside of store?