Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
Michael-V

NOOK V1.5 Update Is Now Available!

[ Edited ]

Our current software update has exciting new features and improves NOOK's overall performance. Included in Version 1.5:
1. NEW! Stay in Sync Across Multiple Devices
Automatically sync the last page you read on your NOOK or NOOK app with another. For instance, if you stop reading on a certain page on your NOOK, you'll automatically open to the same exact place on your iPad, iPhone or Android-based Smartphone using our FREE NOOK apps.
2. NEW! Stay Organized with "My Shelves"
Create, name and organize shelves in "My B&N Library" and "My Documents" in "My Shelves". For instance, you can put all your cookbooks on one shelf, all your spy novels on another shelf, for quick and easy access.
3. NEW! Password Protect Your NOOK
Your NOOK can now be secured in two ways to prevent unauthorized use. First - you can set up your NOOK to lock when it goes into sleep mode, then unlock it with a pass code. Second - you can require a password to purchase content, so others using your NOOK cannot buy anything without your permission.
4. Faster page turns, improved search, and other optimization
The software update is available for NOOKs connected to Wi-Fi� through automatic download or via manual download:

NOOK version 1.5 software is available via Wi-Fi or manual download at:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/container/standard_bothnavs.asp?PID=35681&cds2Pid=35802

(Note: This update will not be distributed via the 3G network.) For an automatic Wi-Fi� update, you may need to tap 'Check for new B&N content' in the My Library area in order to initiate the update.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK V1.5 Update Is Now Available!

Michael-V wrote:

Create, name and organize shelves in "My B&N Library" and "My Documents" in "My Shelves". For instance, you can put all your cookbooks on one shelf, all your spy novels on another shelf, for quick and easy access.

w00t!

Contributor
MarinePMI
0 Kudos

Big Thumbs Up!!!

Correspondent
love_my_karma
0 Kudos

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the ability to better organize ALL of my books.:smileyhappy:

She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (1873)
~ Louisa May Alcott ~
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Installing now :smileyhappy:

Contributor
Rob71MN
0 Kudos

So does Nook now sync last page with Nookcolor?

Inspired Contributor
MrBanballow
0 Kudos

Now, where are all those people that said we wouldn't be able to organize My Documents? Also, Installing now.

Currently reading: The Complete Sherlock Holmes Vol 1, Grimm's Fairy Tales
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

love it!!!

Love It!!!

LOVE IT!!!!!!

Great job to the developers.

Took a long time to boot (had me very worried) but the update looks great.

Book Shelves in both "My B&N Library" and "My Documents"

I've already set my purchase password.

Does the screen background look lighter or is that just my imagination.

MY GOD - I just turned a page, it happened instantly.

And the LCD screen displays the cover of the book I'm currently reading.

I'm sure there is a lot more to discover in this update. This was all in the first 5 minutes.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Ok - looks like the option to sync your page number between devices is set on a book by book basis.

It seems to default to off as well.

So those people who share B&N accounts won;t have to worry about their NOOKS syncing and losing their place.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

MrBanballow wrote:

Now, where are all those people that said we wouldn't be able to organize My Documents? Also, Installing now.

*Raises Hand*  

Right here.  I hoped we would but was fairly certain they wouldn't give it to  us.

I think the language was intentionally unclear so we'd be excited today:  underpromise & overdeliver.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

MY GOD - I just turned a page, it happened instantly.

*thumbs up*   This is going to take some getting used to it's so much faster.  I had mastered the timing of when to swipe.  :smileyvery-happy:

Bet you $5 we have posts complaining about it.  :smileymad:

Frequent Contributor
parKb5
0 Kudos

To celebrate, it's time to buy a new book! (Like I needed the excuse...)

Eden
My first ebook is up for sale for only $0.99!
Frequent Contributor
Awesome_in_MO
0 Kudos

So how does the syncing of reading now work across devices. Does it happen automatically between Nook and Nook Color?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

One more reply and I'll quit.  :smileytongue:  Y'all need to keep me around.  I got NOOK for my birthday.  We got the update on my Anniversary.  Good things happen on important dates for Ya_Ya.  :smileysurprised:

My husband has to work this evening, so I guess Happy 7th Anniversary to me.  A glass of red wine and playing with the new software.  Maybe I'll even break my own cardinal rule of no Christmas music before the day after Thanksgiving.  Peanuts gang sing on - "O Tannenbaum".

Reader 2
cmaxo
0 Kudos

Wow, I've been waiting and hoping so patiently. The page turn is night and day better. The library organization without the shelves is awesome, the shelves are spectacular. Hands down this is the best ereader on the market.

Thank you B&N!

Frequent Contributor
CMegalodon
0 Kudos

How does it sync between Nook and iPhone Nook?  There is nothing in the manual.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

Ok - looks like the option to sync your page number between devices is set on a book by book basis.

It seems to default to off as well.

Well, it might SHOW that it is OFF, Larry, but it still syncd my location with the Nook for PC app.

So there may be a bug in there where (at least the first time in) it will opportunistically sync if you have wifi/3g on.  This would be bad for account sharers.  

Frequent Contributor
romsfuulynn
0 Kudos

Shelves!!! and with an interface that will let you put things on them pretty quickly!

Squee....

Back to device

Inspired Correspondent
CyborgQueen
0 Kudos

I didn't even check the boards and when I used "Check for new B&N Content", a bad morning turned into a BRIGHT wonderful day!

After my little nap (I was beyond exhausted to wait for the full update, so I just allowed it to do it's thing), I opened it up and I was just excited to see the shelves! I can now separate my books to Read/To Be Read/ Samples! I have not yet tested whether I can put the same book in two different shelves. That would be even more better! :-) Need to test it! :-)

And oh yeah - you can VIEW your Library in Shelves format! That's even BETTER! :-)

Page turning - OMG! Speeeeedy! I've gotten used to the slight lag, and I don't really notice it at all actually. But this time...it's FAST! :-)

AND (just discovered this little bit just NOW!)  - if you check your Library, it'll tell you what PAGE you're on!! How awesome is that?!  You'll need to open the book FIRST in order to get the numbers on. Even though the page numbers can be slightly off due to the file, text size, blah blah blah, but you'll know if you're close to finishing!

However, I'm still trying to figure out how to reset the page number back to Zero, so I'm not having "furthest point read" issue if someone else wants to read my book but I'm done with it.

The Stand - has the title fixed...Whoooot! 

I do have ONE SMALL complaint, but I think it's nothing annoying, but now that I have shelves it is NOT a big deal.   I do wished that the books with the word "The" would be omitted during alphabetically ordering the book titles. 

THANK YOU B&N!  I've sold 3 Nooks to my friends - where's my commissions? :-)

Contributor
TrvlrsChick
0 Kudos

I am so excited about shelves!  I have only had my Nook a few months, but already it's a chore to sort through all the different books to find what I want to read.  Yay B&N!