Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Lynns_Nook
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK V1.5 Update Is Now Available!

The servers are probably overloaded. There's a reason why Amazon pushes updates out to a block of users at a time.  Maybe there's a lesson to be learned there.  

Yes, I know I can sideload it. I don't think I should have to. 

Icebike, did someone die and leave you in charge of the board?  I see no reason why we can't complain about B&N's lack of server capacity if we want to. 

Reader 2
BlueHair_Bob
0 Kudos

OK, I side loaded it and I did not get any errors!  So, do I understand correctly that in order to get the new errors everyone else has available to them i have to downgrade to the previous version and then update via WiFi WHILE the servers are overloaded?  That sounds problematic and iffy to say the least.

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ok, right now I'm feeling very disappointed.  I thought I was going to be able to organize my B&N Library.  Not so.    When I went and purchased several books in a series they were not purchased in the order in which they come in the series, so they've always been all mixed up in my library.   I thought this new organization feature would change that,  but it's still the same,  I can't actually place them where *I* want them,  they have to be sorted by author, title or date of purchase.   So any way I go they're still al mixed up. 

ETA:  Furthermore,  now those that I did purchase in order are all mixed up,  they're now falling within title order within the author sort.   

It looks to me like I just lost organization instead of gaining it, at least if I want to organize by series.   I tried putting my series books on a shelf in the order in which I'd like them to appear but no go,  it's still forcing me to sort *their way* instead of my way.

Ugh!

Linda

Inspired Contributor
Digivolution
0 Kudos

Lynns_Nook wrote:

No doubt it would be great if it worked. 

Anyone else getting a download error on a WiFi Nook?

Yeah. I'm guessing the 3G servers are gagging on the sheer volume of download requests.

I plugged in the USB and side loaded the update from my PC with the USB cable. Too under 5 minutes and TOTALLY WORTH IT!

Good job B&N!

Early to rise and early to bed makes a man healthy, but socially dead.
Frequent Contributor
KD67
0 Kudos

I have not updated as of yet, getting ready to tho.  And although I love the fact that we will be able to organize our My Documents section as well as the B&N Library, I am still just a bit upset that there seems to be NO Blackberry love going on here.  I hope you all enjoy the syncing option as it is useless to any and all of us that prefer to use the Blackberry smartphones over the other ones out there.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Ummm, you can't download the update on 3G.  It can only be downloaded on wi-fi as far as I know.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

I'm loving the update!

I'm also overwhelmed between this and my nookcolor:smileysurprised:

Reader 2
Froggarita
0 Kudos

I tried to sideload it and I get invalid update. So I can't download it nor sideload it. I already knew how to sideload but I watched the videos to be sure I was putting it in the right place and I am. :smileysad:

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

Lynns_Nook wrote:

Icebike, did someone die and leave you in charge of the board?  I see no reason why we can't complain about B&N's lack of server capacity if we want to. 

If it were a formal complaint, it would be one thing. But all it amounts to is saying

"I got an error, does anyone have a solution?"

If any one posts a solution, they get dumped on by people like you.

Explain to me how that helps?

Frequent Contributor
Travst
0 Kudos

I've not received an update for my Nook Color... does 1.5 update the Nook Color as well as the Nook?

Take my advice... don't take my advice.
Correspondent
Doc_Nukem

The pages turn too fast!

(Just kidding)

New User
jsavoy100
0 Kudos

Im really underwhelmed with the bookshelves.  Haveing My Documents function like B&N library doesnt seem like too much to ask for.  Being able to browse threw covers in my documents on shelves should of been included. We also should have an option to place a book on a shelf after  we have opened it  we can find, go to , bookmark etc  but we cant shelf it.

This whole shelf thing seems very poorly done, you cant even order the books your own way on them.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Travst wrote:

I've not received an update for my Nook Color... does 1.5 update the Nook Color as well as the Nook?

Was Nook Color on version 1.4?  I don't think so.  Therefore 1.5 will not update it as well.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

Froggarita wrote:

I tried to sideload it and I get invalid update. So I can't download it nor sideload it. I already knew how to sideload but I watched the videos to be sure I was putting it in the right place and I am. :smileysad:

It sounds like you got a corrupted update, or an update that was the wrong one.

If you download into the same directory where an update already existed it will append a (2) on the end of the file name.  That is not acceptable to the nook.  It has to be exactly

signed_bravo_update.dat  and the size has to be exactly  65267558 bytes long.

You should erase any existing updates from your computer, Clear your browser cache, and download it again.  If it downloads real fast, you know your browser is feeding you a cached copy (which is probably corrupted).

I've added a question mark at the end of this link, which is supposed to instruct the browser not to use its cached copy, and to fetch a new one.  Give it a try.

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/presources/download/nook/v.1.5.0/signed_bravo_update.dat?

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

Travst wrote:

Just the nook classic.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
New User
Pichincha
0 Kudos

So, does anybody know of instructions for sideloading other than the video linked by icebike, which I can't get to load, doubtless due to everyone and their cousin trying to load it right now? Any text instructions?

Frequent Contributor
Lynns_Nook
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

Lynns_Nook wrote:

If it were a formal complaint, it would be one thing. But all it amounts to is saying

"I got an error, does anyone have a solution?"

If any one posts a solution, they get dumped on by people like you.

Explain to me how that helps?

Icebike, this may come as a huge shock to you but I don't have to explain my posts to you. 

If you're in the employ of B&N and paid to harrass other posters, then feel free to delete my posts. 

If you can't do that then I'm afraid you will either have to ignore me or blow another gasket. Your decision.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

Pichincha wrote:

So, does anybody know of instructions for sideloading other than the video linked by icebike, which I can't get to load, doubtless due to everyone and their cousin trying to load it right now? Any text instructions?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/container/standard_bothnavs.asp?PID=35681&cds2Pid=35802

Reader
Roaming_Gnome
0 Kudos

Too bad the update didn't come with pandora.

Correspondent
htbyron
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks, icebike, your link worked for me.  I was unable to download the update on wi-fi and the link on the update page (on my desktop computer with a DSL connection) was doing nothing, but your lik worked.  Kudos.

After a bunch of errors trying to download on w-fi, I found the following empty file (0 kb) in the root directory of the nook when I went to sideload the update file from my desktop:

signed_bravo_update-delta-1.5.0-release.dat

I deleted it using windows explorer when I sideloaded the proper signed_bravo_update.dat file, in hopes of avoiding confusion.  After sideloading, the installation seemed to go smoothly.  It takes a little while, but not as long as loading a new rom on my Droid phone.  :smileyhappy: