Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Tropicseed
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK V1.5 Update Is Now Available!

Well, I was quite happy with the 1.5 update, although I must say I find the swipe to turn pages a little more finnicky now.

My nitpick is this: why o why BN have you hidden the text change/resize commands even deeper in the menu maze? I change the text size pretty often depending on the lighting and the book I'm reading, and with 1.5 it's a level deeper than it was, under "preferences".

One of the nice things about Kindle is that you can change text attributes with just a couple of clicks. Now on nook v1.5 it takes ... well way too much menu picking and scrolling. IMO text attributes should be right in the first few items on the default "book reading" menu, with Find and Goto.

Of course, if this were a real geek's ereader, you'd be able to change the menus to your personal preference!

patrick

Frequent Contributor
Tropicseed
0 Kudos

Well, I've noticed another oddity with v1.5. Usually I turn on the screensaver manually. Today I put down the nook and left it without doing this. When I came back the screensaver had kicked in, but at very low brightness, so it looked ghostly.

I've tried this a couple more times, same thing. I wonder if this is intentional - does the e-ink screen somehow benefit from lower brightness? It's annoying because I have the far side pack as my screensaver and I can't read the cartoons in this ghostly setting!

patrick

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

Tropicseed wrote:

Well, I've noticed another oddity with v1.5. Usually I turn on the screensaver manually. Today I put down the nook and left it without doing this. When I came back the screensaver had kicked in, but at very low brightness, so it looked ghostly.

I've tried this a couple more times, same thing. I wonder if this is intentional - does the e-ink screen somehow benefit from lower brightness? It's annoying because I have the far side pack as my screensaver and I can't read the cartoons in this ghostly setting!

patrick

The screen has 16 shades of gray.  There is no brightness.  It has no backlighting.

The contrast is controlled by the image you choose for a screen saver.  

If you use a color image you get up to 16 shades.  If you choose a black and white pattern you will get either black or white but no other colors.

e-Ink uses absolute no power to display an image.  It takes power to put an image on the screen, but from then on it uses no power at all.  There would be nothing to gain by making your screen savers "grayer"

Here is an image of an e-ink display removed from a device.  It has no external connection, no battery, no power at all: but still holds the last image displayed.

Reader 2
Desert_Tortoise
0 Kudos

"I don't think I should have to."  Grow up.  Buy a Kindle if you're enamored with Amazon so much.  Why not sideload the V1.5 update?   It won't make you a second class citizen.  You must be from the "I want it all and now" generation.

Distinguished Correspondent
AllenR
0 Kudos

JustTrish wrote:

brigidanne wrote:

Treat yourself to a color nook...  It does everything you just wished for, in color.

JustTrish wrote:

My nook updated itself without my wanting it to!  I HATE the shelves.  They are useless as they rearrange the order of my books in cover mode.  If you were allowed to browse covers by shelves, then MAYBE it would be useful.

This does it for me.  I am going to reset my nook to the original software, archive everybook I am not presently reading, and keep it in airplane mode.

I won't be buying any more ebooks from B&N.  I'm just going to stick with my kindle 3.

NoolColor is an EPIC FAIL.  It's the kind of technology that middle-aged people buy because they have no clue of what else is available for the same price.

Better to buy Samsung Galaxy tablet. Same price and does a WHOLE LOT MORE.

And the Lenovo S10-3t does even more than the Galaxy! 

...but it's not an e-reader and we all want a great e-reader. 

Unfortunately, nook could be great, but as we have found out with V1.5, only in our dreams.   :smileysad:

Lucien Buonaparte speaking of a young lady... "ever fresh, not like a rose, but like a good radish"
Napoleon Buonaparte on the reason for marriage: " I want to marry a womb" - Those Buonapartes sure knew how to woo a woman!

Reader 2
trboxman
0 Kudos

I never knew book nerds could be so contentious...calm down, read a book or something...

Reader 2
KirkPwll
0 Kudos

1.5 works great, I went with the alphabet and about six other categories (western, finished, poli-sci, free-market economics and so-on.I like having the ability to search and put books on multiple shelves. The nook went from being the worst e-reader as far as organization is concerned to being the best ( and I own a Sony PRS600 as well as a Kindle Gen3 to compare it to.I know it seems weird to have three readers but there is always one of the eight places I get books from that has a better deal than the others.If the nook or Sony had been equipped with some sort of read aloud feature I would not of bought a Kindle DX as a birthday present for my mother (she only has peripheral vision left) and the Kindle G3 for me.