Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
brazil_customer
0 Kudos

NOOK does not work outside the US!

Last January I purchased a Nook at B&N 5th Ave, NY. I asked a lot of questions about Nook at the store and the salesperson knew I was from Brazil. She gave me a print with 3 Nook authorized bookstores in Brazil (Livraria Saraiva, Livraria Cultura and Livraria Gato Sabido. Now I found out that:
1) I cannot buy eBooks at the B&N website because I don't have an US billing address. I live in Brazil and I paid for Nook with an international credit card. A lady called Maggie from the B&N Digital Chatroom just told me that (in her words) "We do not advertise the device as having international capabilities" and "since you don't have an U.S. address we cannot guarantee that it will work for you". So why does B&N sell Nook to international tourists without advising them that it will not fully work outside the US?

2) I cannot read eBooks purchased from the same bookstores in Brazil recommended by the salesperson, because when the books are transferred to Nook, it returns a message "user not activated". The eBooks are in a compatible format (epub and PDF) and the adobe digital editions is associated to the same email address used to purchase the eBooks and registered at the B&N account. Nook was also authorized at both softwares. She told me that this message is associated to Adobe Digital Editions but I also tried sideloading the eBooks using Nook for PC software and got the same message. The lady at the chatroom told me that Nook does not work with non-B&N eBooks and that international credit cards are not accepted because of DRM (her words: "You cannot buy with an international credit card due to digital rights management" but this does not makes any sense since other online eBook stores sell DRM eBooks paid with international credit cards and they work fine in other eBook readers.
I'm very frustrated with Nook since NOBODY EVER INFORMED ME about these restrictions when I bought it. If so, I would never buy it. I like Nook, but it just not work for me if I cannot buy and read anything.

I´m trying to get an authorization for returning the Nook in a B&N bookstore but the lady in the chatroom told me that there is a 14 days return policy. Nevertheless, this is an abnormal situation and B&N employees did not informed me about the restrictions. I really think B&N should inform that to international customers. It's not fair to buy a device to reed eBooks and cannot use it because a lot of non-informed restrictions to non US residents apply.

I already wrote 3 times do B&N customer services to get the authorization for returning Nook, but they don´t reply my messages.

Does anybody outside the US has a Nook?

If you don´t live in the US, DON´T BUY NOOK!!!!! It´s wasted money!!!!!

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK does not work outside the US!

In this case I think they should refund your $ as well, hope they do.

having said that (and sorry for not knowing this) - can't you get a prepaid visa card and use that as your authentication card?  If so is there any way you can get one?  Again not sure if that is true but it might be

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Good luck!  It's your word against an anonymous B&N salesperson.  I seriously wish you good luck getting this situation fixed. 

►Without order there is chaos◄
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013

[ Edited ]

If they told you that you could buy e-books from B&N, they were very wrong. B&N has been very clear that its NOOKbooks are only for sale within the US, except for US military personnel with .mil email addresses and US billing addresses, and a very limited selection of e-books can be bought from Canada.

As for the "User Not Activated", you just haven't gotten your NOOK properly authorized with Adobe Digital Editions. A search on this forum for that phrase will bring up many, many threads from people who had the same question. Here's what you need to do:

1. If you're using a Mac, you need to set it up to show hidden files and folders.
  2. Be sure that Adobe Digital Editions isn't running.
  3. Plug your NOOK into your computer.
  4. Delete the folders ".adobe-digital-editions" and "Digital Editions" from your NOOK.
  5. If you're using a Mac, empty the trash on your NOOK.
  6. Leave your NOOK plugged in and active (don't eject it yet).
  7. Start Adobe Digital Editions on your computer.
  8. Let ADE authorize your NOOK.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree

@brazil_customer

Bemvindo!  :smileyhappy:

You should be able to buy and sideload without any problem from Saraiva, Cultura and Gato Sabido (Submarino, too).  As Doug said, the problem is with your ADE authorization:  follow the instructions in his post, and you should have no more trouble with those sellers.

You can also download classics and other Brazilian and Portuguese books for which copyright has expired at:

http://www.dominiopublico.gov.br/pesquisa/PesquisaObraForm.jsp

There are plenty of books available in Brazil that you can enjoy on your Nook -- don't give up yet.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Frequent Contributor
RobinDB
0 Kudos

brazil_customer wrote:

Does anybody outside the US has a Nook?

If you don´t live in the US, DON´T BUY NOOK!!!!! It´s wasted money!!!!!

Yes

I am in Europe.

I have purchased a few and seen them used over here.

I have a large number of epub books which reading and will keep me going for years.:smileywink:

Much better than any other ebooks and not worried about the restriction on buying from B&N.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat

[ Edited ]

Someone posted a link the other day to a message board that was nook users from around the world. They were from Switzerland, Japan, several South American countries (including Brazil and Chile) and places all over.

They were all very excited about their readers and were recommending book places to download books for sideloading, since they all know they cannot buy books from B&N.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe

@ brazil_customer,

I'm sorry you did not research before buying a nook, but your situation is not abnormal.  The nook works very well outside of the US, even though you cannot create a B&N account or buy books from B&N.  Because B&N is a US company, they do not have the right to sell internationally.

But there are other options for purchasing/downloading books other than B&N, so if you want to keep your nook, that would be something many can help you with.

New User
brazil_customer
0 Kudos

Hello all, thank you for  the replies.

I´ve authorized Nook with Adobe Digital Editions but still get the same "user not activated" message.That is not the problem.

I bought Nook mostly for business and the books I need are not available on the Brazilian online bookstores. The salesperson never told me that I could never buy the ebooks at B&N because I´m a non US resident and I would never think that such a restriction would apply. My boyfriend has a kindle and he buys ebooks using his international creditcard all the time. So that´s not a restriction from ebooks digital rights, it´s a restriction from B&N and that information is not clearly stated to customers until you buy Nook and read the instructions manual or try to associate the credit card number to the account.

After a lot of email messages, I finally got an authorization to return the Nook, so problem solved. Good luck to all.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe

brazil_customer wrote:

Hello all, thank you for  the replies.

I´ve authorized Nook with Adobe Digital Editions but still get the same "user not activated" message.That is not the problem.

I bought Nook mostly for business and the books I need are not available on the Brazilian online bookstores. The salesperson never told me that I could never buy the ebooks at B&N because I´m a non US resident and I would never think that such a restriction would apply. My boyfriend has a kindle and he buys ebooks using his international creditcard all the time. So that´s not a restriction from ebooks digital rights, it´s a restriction from B&N and that information is not clearly stated to customers until you buy Nook and read the instructions manual or try to associate the credit card number to the account.

After a lot of email messages, I finally got an authorization to return the Nook, so problem solved. Good luck to all.

Glad you were able to return the nook.  It isn't a restriction of ebook digital rights, true; it's a restriction because B&N is a US company and not authorized to do business internationally.  It's something that may happen in the future, who knows. 

ABthree
0 Kudos

Josienjoe wrote:

It isn't a restriction of ebook digital rights, true; it's a restriction because B&N is a US company and not authorized to do business internationally.  It's something that may happen in the future, who knows. 

Well, yes it IS a restriction of eBook digital rights, and it's because B&N chooses to limit its business to the US and US posessions, with limited commercial activity in Canada.
Publishers limit eBook digital rights by country or region.  Amazon has an international business model, and so it has negotiated digital rights in the principal countries where it wants to operate, country by country and publisher by publisher.  That isn't B&N's model, so it hasn't bothered to obtain those rights. 
This is just as true outside the US.  You can't buy eBooks from Waterstone or WH Smith (anymore, although it used to be possible) because they haven't obtained rights to sell in the US.  That goes for the Brazilian eBook sellers cited by the OP, as well -- which creates the ridiculous situation in which you can buy Nobel Prizewinner José Saramago's works from B&N in English translation and even in SPANISH translation -- but you can't get them in the original Portuguese in the US, anywhere.  :smileymad:

-- St. Basil the Great+
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

@ ABthree,

Thanks for the correction.  :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I should have read the whole thread.  

Nothing to see here folks, nothing to see.  :smileytongue:

ABthree
0 Kudos

@Josienjoe

More like a clarification -- basically, we're in violent agreement.  :smileywink:

-- St. Basil the Great+
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

@ ABthree,

Violent agreement is good.  :smileywink:

New User
Ari_12
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I agree NOOK outside the US its worthless they should inform you, I was about to by kindle fire and the guy on best buy told suggested the NOOK and I cannot return it.. NOOK sucks!

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Ari_12 wrote:

I agree NOOK outside the US its worthless they should inform you, I was about to by kindle fire and the guy on best buy told suggested the NOOK and I cannot return it.. NOOK sucks!

Sorry that you've had a bad experience.  Did you not read any of the literature/FAQs before buying?  It's quite obvious that you need to have a US addressed credit card in order to purchase eBooks from B&N (though, they will start selling eBooks in the UK through a partnership there).  You can still use your nook outside of the US to read any eBooks in the .epub format (excluding Apple's proprietary iBooks) by sideloading them.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

Ari_12 wrote:

1) Relying on a Best Buy employee to give you correct information is not a good idea. They sell so many products that the employees don't know much about most of them.

2) You should be glad that he prevented you from buying the Fire. Most of the features of the Fire are not available outside the US.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Does Best Buy sell internationally?

If you were visiting the US at the time you bought this, did the person selling it to you know that you intended to use it overseas?

Why would an sales associate working in a US big box store even know the NOOK didn't work internationally.

Contributor
Thebookfinder
0 Kudos

To any person who comes into this page looking for recent informatuon about this issue! (2012) I purshased a NOOK and I live outside the United States (still in the continet though) I hunted down the most recent policies about the NOOK working internationally so here they are:

http://thebookfinder.blogspot.com/2012/12/does-nook-work-internationally.html