Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
ChipPM

NY Times article on young people and eBooks

It is today's issue on the front page no less. I've only seen the online article but I'm going to try to get out to get a copy of the paper, weather permitting.

The online article has a picture of a girl reading a Nook Classic if I am not mistaken. Her cat looks like it is reading as well. Smart cat!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/05/books/05ebooks.html?_r=1&ref=todayspaper

PS I leaned about the article while reading Amazon's Kindle discussion board. :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Re: NY Times article on young people and eBooks

ChipPM wrote:

It is today's issue on the front page no less. I've only seen the online article but I'm going to try to get out to get a copy of the paper, weather permitting.

The online article has a picture of a girl reading a Nook Classic if I am not mistaken. Her cat looks like it is reading as well. Smart cat!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/05/books/05ebooks.html?_r=1&ref=todayspaper

PS I leaned about the article while reading Amazon's Kindle discussion board. :smileyhappy:

I totally buy it because I'm 18 and though I always liked to read, I've done more reading in the past two months then I did all of last year.  I have had my nook 3G since x mas.  One thing enlarging text makes it easier to read, next I've never liked how when you get about half way through a book the book's tension rips into your fingers as you forcing it to stay open, don't have that issue either with nook, and lastly I love seeing the page of pages, I get a feeling accomplishment when I get to the end of the book and it says 307 of 307 for example. 

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

This is fantastic. If kids read more because of the technology, that's great. When my son was eight, he just could not read. I got him a subscription to Sports Illustrated and suddenly, he became a reader. He now has his CPA and an MBA from Kellogg.
Inspired Correspondent
ivers
0 Kudos

What a lovely article. Thank you for the link!

Though I have been trying to get my cat to read for months and nothing works. Maybe I'm giving her the wrong books. Hunger Games does sound like a title she would be interested in. God knows she's always hungry.

Correspondent
ChipPM
0 Kudos

I just got back from getting the actual paper newspaper. Sounds a little loopy. I'm so used to 'screen' reading, ereader and computer.

Only rain here today instead of the threatened snow for once.

The picture in the paper is very clear. The cat is definitely reading--and anxiously waiting for the girl to 'turn' the page, if I am any judge of cat expressions.:smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

The NY Times is on the ball in regards to technology.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Contributor
Jekomo

I teach ninth-grade English in a suburban school and several of my students have a Nook. They carry it with them all day in case they have extra time to read. I love it!

Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing
0 Kudos

ivers wrote:

What a lovely article. Thank you for the link!

Though I have been trying to get my cat to read for months and nothing works. Maybe I'm giving her the wrong books. Hunger Games does sound like a title she would be interested in. God knows she's always hungry.

Try this one.  I think it's the most bizarre cover I've seen in some time.

Cat and Mouse

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!
Wordsmith
Runnergirl77

As an educator, I can tell you that young students are fascinated with technology of all types.  Currently my school system is introducing iPads and iPhones for use in the Kindergarten and First grades.  Each teacher uses an iPad to demonstrate, and the students follow through on the iPhone.  The purpose is for studying keywords, increasing vocabular and reading comprehension.  No...the iPhones won't be hooked up to a network, so we shouldn't get any long-distance bills. 

There have also been a couple instances when I read to a second grade class from my Nook 3G.  Even though there were no pictures (Grimm's fairy tales and Aladdin), they were more attentive than when I read to them from one of our library's picture books.

Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram
0 Kudos

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

That reminds me of when Apple supplied schools with Macs.  It created a whole new market for them.

The good thing in my mind is that students can only put approved textbooks on their Kindles.  At least if they want to buy e-books on their own they're not locked into Kindles.  I'll bet when it comes time to buy an e-reader for themselves, though, that Kindle is their first choice since they're familiar with it.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

Jekomo wrote:

I teach ninth-grade English in a suburban school and several of my students have a Nook. They carry it with them all day in case they have extra time to read. I love it!

My daughter does the same thing.  She's always paranoid that someone will will try to take it though or that she may forget it at school and not have it when she gets home.  She loves to read and is always getting yelled at by her teachers to stay on task.

Frequent Contributor
ellsbells930
0 Kudos

Runnergirl77 wrote:

Each teacher uses an iPad to demonstrate, and the students follow through on the iPhone. 

An iTouch would be a whole lot cheaper than an iPhone & accomplish the same thing.

Inspired Correspondent
Mupples

I always felt like I was the last of my generation (I'm 23) that ever went outside just to play. When i look at my husbands little sister and cousins (around 10-12) all they do is sit and play on the computer. From getting off to school til bed time- there isn't anything really mentally/physically stimulating. I used to read what I thought was a lot, but I know I've doubled or tripled the amount since getting my Nook. My husbands little sister has been getting curious about it- picking it up and reading whatever is on it- so I see a birthday present in the future. If I can't get her to exercise her body, at least I can do something for her mind. Ereaders are a technological blessing for the next generation.