Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Melanie88
0 Kudos

Need help on how to receive a book that someone's lending me

Ok so I have the Nook with the little touch screen on bottom and the rest is non-touch. My friend has the Nook Color. Can she lend me a book? She sent it to me but I can't figure out how to receive it.

BN_Cece
0 Kudos

Re: Need help on how to receive a book that someone's lending me

Hi Melanie88, Here are some rules regarding lending eBooks:

- You can only lend eBooks that are in your online digital library.  Not all eBooks can be lent (though many can).

- You can only lend from a registered NOOK to users of other registered NOOKs (or other registered B&N eReader devices).  You can send a lending offer to any email address but to accept the offer, the other person must have an email address associated with a Barnes and Noble online account and a NOOK or other B&N eReader that supports lending.

- You can lend an eBook from anywhere with the supported wireless connectivity (including Wi-Fi hotspots outside of the United States, US territories and Canada).

-  You can only lend an eBook one time.

-  You cannot lend an eBook that has been lent to you.

It only counts as the one time lending if your friend accepts the lending offer.  If the lending offer expires or your friend rejects the offer, you can still lend the eBook.

Distinguished Correspondent
jamartMF
0 Kudos

Melanie88 wrote:

Ok so I have the Nook with the little touch screen on bottom and the rest is non-touch. My friend has the Nook Color. Can she lend me a book? She sent it to me but I can't figure out how to receive it.

Also Melanie some books that say lend me have stopped being lendable.  Near the beginning of the year a lot of publishers pulled out of the lend me feature.  To check you need to find it on B&N website and check to see if you are still able to lend it.  Even if the Nook says it is.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@Melanie88

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

If lending is allowed on your friend's book, and if she sent the Lend-Me offer to the e-mail address on your account, your Nook will let you know that you have an offer pending.

Make sure that your Nook is not in Airplane Mode, and is connected to either WiFi or 3g.  Then tap "Check for New B&N Content". 

Look in your B&N Library, and you should find the book.  On your touch screen, you'll see "lend offer pending", or words to that effect.  Tap that, accept the loan, and you're in business.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
BN_Andy
0 Kudos

You should receive a lending offer notification among the notifications in The Daily. You have 7 days to accept the offer.  When viewing a notification; Yes, Borrow This and No, Thank You are the choices in the menus.

To accept a lending offer from the Daily:

1. On the Home menu, tap the Daily.

2. In the Daily, navigate to the lending offer in the section FROM A FRIEND and tap Select.

3.Tap Yes, Borrow This.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Andy_T wrote:

You should receive a lending offer notification among the notifications in The Daily.

Good point!  :smileyhappy: 

I never look at The Daily, so I've always accessed my loans through My B&N Library.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Frequent Contributor
graycyn
0 Kudos

You can also sign in to BN.com, go to your Nook library and accept the loan there. That's how I do it all the time, because I don't have WiFi at home. Then I download the book and sideload to my Nook.

And by the way, publishers were removing LendMe status from a number of books and authors as recently as yesterday. Some of the authors include: Dana Stabenow, M. C. Beaton, Sue Grafton, Janet Evanovich, Lisa Lillien, Orson Scott Card, Robert Jordan, Rosemary Harris and others, sigh. I'm sure there's more than that.

It's getting real important to check lend status of a book on the BN.com site to be sure it is still lendable, sigh.

Nook WiFi, Sony 950, 2 Sony 350s.
New User
heckalauren
0 Kudos

how do you recieve a lent book if you dont own a nook? i recieved an email and accepted but cant find it on my bn page, and the lender says the book is still "lent"... im so confused! :smileysad:( i at least want to send it back, but cant even find the book in the first place..

Distinguished Correspondent
scotta316
0 Kudos

You can use the free Nook App on your computer or smart phone. You have to have a Barnes and Noble account, and I believe it has to have a credit card associated with it to receive a lent book, although it won't be charged.