Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Eldrod

Netgear Router Connection Problem Solution

First, a little background.  I have been using my Nook on my home WiFi network on a Linksys router with no issues.  About a month ago my Linksys started acting up (just after the warranty expired), so I replaced it with Netgear WNDR3400.

After getting everything set back up, I thought I had everything working again, but I soon noticed that the Daily was never updated and when I would check the Nook's WiFi connection, it just kept cycling between connected and disconnected.  Password authentication was not an issue as I was connecting but then immediately dropping.

After a little research, I resolved it by going to the Advanced Wireless settings on the router and changing the Fragmentation Length to 2306, the CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307, and the Preamble mode to Short Preamble on the 2.4GHz wireless section.  I did not make any changes to the speed or disable g or n mode as my other wireless computers need the higher speed.

It has been a couple of weeks and all is still well. The 2.4GHz network is running at 300 Mbps and WPA2+PSK security in all modes (b/g/n) with no adverse impact to the Nook or any other connected device.

Hope this helps anyone with similar issues. 

New User
Marplot101
0 Kudos

Re: Netgear Router Connection Problem Solution

My wife had a similar problem with her Color Nook and our recently replaced wireless router (was a Linksys and now is a Netgear WNDR3400).

It was a leap of faith, but I followed Eldrod's suggested changes.  It worked like a charm.  No side effects have been experienced to date.

Thank you, Eldrod !!

New User
PAHebert
0 Kudos

Had similar issues with a new Netgear 750N dual-band router.  All 3 Nooks in the house; an older reader, a reader with glow-light and a new tablet could not connect.  Took the suggestions above and all seems fine.

New User
MikeInTX
0 Kudos

Thanks so much!  I have a Netgear WNDR4500 router and started experiencing the same symptoms - our Nooks would connect, then disconnect from the internet.  

Your solution seems to be working like a champ!

New User
MikeInTX
0 Kudos

I should also add that both our nooks are the Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight.