Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
tenn1kr
0 Kudos

Network Unavailable, yet I have a WiFi connection??

I am trying to download an ebook for the first time at work. I have a WiFi connection here, and my nook shows that I am connected.  Yet, when I try to "shop" for a book, my nook says the network is unavailable.  I have downloaded books from the wifi in my house without a problem, but this is the first time I have tried it anywhere else.  Any suggestions??

Frequent Contributor
pitbull42
0 Kudos

Re: Network Unavailable, yet I have a WiFi connection??

You need to add the work router to the Nook.  You maybe picking up a WiFi signal but since you are at work access to the router and getting to the internet is protected.  You need to know that password and once supplied you should be fine. However since this is work your employer probably will not give you this information.  I suggest you just wait until you get home to do any downloading.  I am also assuming you have the WiFi only Nook?  I use the 3G function when I am away from home so it is not an issue for me to not have an access point. 

Frequent Contributor
LizJ70
0 Kudos

I have this very same problem.  I am the network administrator here, I have the password and I have connected before without problems.  I have no problems at home and I usually wait until I get home to download, but I just purchased a book and am stuck here waiting for my ride and wanted to read it while I wait.  Any solutions?  

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

There are a number of ways that a router can be configured that would make it unusable by NOOK.

Common problems:

• Requiring shared key authentication (NOOK uses open key authentication)
  • MAC filtering that only allows authorized devices

Less common problems:

• DHCP disabled
  • "Greenfield" 802.11n-only mode
  • Enterprise authentication (EAP, LEAP, Radius server)

I started a thread for Wi-Fi access point configuration, but so far the only entries on it are mine: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Q-A-and-Support/Configuring-various-Wi-Fi-routers-please...

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

There are a number of ways that a router can be configured that would make it unusable by NOOK.

Common problems:

• Requiring shared key authentication (NOOK uses open key authentication)
  • MAC filtering that only allows authorized devices

Less common problems:

• DHCP disabled
  • "Greenfield" 802.11n-only mode
  • Enterprise authentication (EAP, LEAP, Radius server)

I started a thread for Wi-Fi access point configuration, but so far the only entries on it are mine: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Q-A-and-Support/Configuring-various-Wi-Fi-routers-please...

I also had trouble with some security settings.  My router used to be set at WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] and I had to change it to just WPA2-PSK [AES] to get my WiFi to work with my NOOK.

My NOOK would see my router and connect to it, but wasn't able to load pages in the store or download any ebooks.  It always timed out.  This occurred after the 1.4 update.  Before that, I had no issues at all.

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

Not to mention Firewalls, and site access restrictions that many companies have. The company I worked for, and am currently doing some consulting work for, blocks all email sites they can, and only allows email using their Mail servers, which scan and save everything to meet certain regulatory requirements.

Frequent Contributor
LizJ70
0 Kudos

I saw that post about configuring the Wifi a while ago and went through my router and reconfigured it to those specifications.  It worked for a while and then suddenly it kept saying I wasn't connected, but I went to the Wifi section and it says I am connected.  I eventually turned the Nook off for about 10 seconds and then turned it back on and it worked fine.  Weird.  

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

If the Nook is showing that it's connected, the problem might be on B&N's end.  Then all you can do is try another time.  Fortunately, I haven't had a problem with that myself since Christmas day.

Reader 4
oklee
0 Kudos

I experienced the same thing for the entire day yesterday and then late last night, all of a sudden, I was able to download books without any problem.  I have no idea why it suddenly worked as, in my frustration, I had been performing various steps trying to make the problem go away.  However, this morning I noticed one book listed in My B&N Library that I had overlooked.  I started the download and immediately got the dreaded "Network Unavailable" message even tho my PC was on and my WiFi connected.  I attempted several downloads and continued to received the message.  I decided to use the "Check For New B&N Content" command, which I did and then tried to download my book again.... it downloaded without a hitch!!!!   I'm using the Nook 1st Edition, have no intention of upgrading as I am strictly an avid book reader and it serves that purpose perfectly.  I've had the Nook since first introduced and have experienced NO problems of any sort until the last few months when it has been one darn thing and then another.  I've changed nothing on my PC or my Nook.  To say it's frustrating is putting it mildly...what's up with B&N!!!