Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
Jadjuka
0 Kudos

New B&N device to replace Nook?

I just got the new Bed Bath & Beyond catalogue in my mail and my brother was looking through it and saw with the B&N logo there's a new tablet style full color e-reader. The device is 3rd party but it will connect to B&N online store. So why aren't there any promotions from B&N about this device? And will this replace the current nook and the nook2???

Also now my brother is debating if he should get the nook or this device. Question is since it will connect to B&N stores, will B&N support this device if there's any technical issues?

http://blog.laptopmag.com/barnes-and-nobles-pandigital-novel-ereader-or-tablet

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980

Re: New B&N device to replace Nook?

The Novel is not made or supported by BN. BN simply have licensed out access to it's ebook store to a third party (Pandigital).

/official

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Jadjuka wrote:

I just got the new Bed Bath & Beyond catalogue in my mail and my brother was looking through it and saw with the B&N logo there's a new tablet style full color e-reader. The device is 3rd party but it will connect to B&N online store. So why aren't there any promotions from B&N about this device? And will this replace the current nook and the nook2???

Also now my brother is debating if he should get the nook or this device. Question is since it will connect to B&N stores, will B&N support this device if there's any technical issues?

http://blog.laptopmag.com/barnes-and-nobles-pandigital-novel-ereader-or-tablet

This reader is totally unrelated to the Nook.  The Pandigital is supported by B&N, meaning you can read B&N eBooks on it.  This is a totally different animal with a LCD screen instead of eInk to begin with...

You would have to go to the retailer or manufacturer, not B&N, for any technical or mechanical issues.

Frequent Contributor
Lynns_Nook
0 Kudos

Just looking at it in the flyer now.  Very interesting. 

Quite a good price, after the rebate, and very attractive device, at least in pictures.

Only a 6 hour battery life though. That's a killer. 

Wordsmith
h2oskierc
0 Kudos

Article says out in June.  Must not be much of a device if it's been out for about a month already with no fanfare...

Contributor
leaannzle
0 Kudos

My mom bought this device right before Kohl's stopped selling them because of major software issues.  She kept hers and it doesnt work at all!  I convinced her to get a Nook and now she has one, plus a dead brick of a Pandigital reader.  It is also much heavier than a Nook, and I don't ever see it as true competition for an ereader.

There has been one software update to make it at least marginally usable, but its still frustrating just to turn it on and try to use it.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

As others have noted, Pandigital is a separate company and B&N will not be supporting the Novel. I presume that if you buy your Novel in a B&N store, B&N's standard return policy will apply. But that's just presumption.

It's definitely not a "replacement for the NOOK".

The Pandigital Novel has been discussed in some earlier postings here:

Here's a review of the pre-recall version, at The eBook Reader:

http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/pandigital-novel.html

Also note the comment someone made on the TeleRead story about the Novel coming back on sale after the recall:

Distinguished Correspondent
AllenR
0 Kudos

leaannzle wrote:

My mom bought this device right before Kohl's stopped selling them because of major software issues.  She kept hers and it doesnt work at all!  I convinced her to get a Nook and now she has one, plus a dead brick of a Pandigital reader.  It is also much heavier than a Nook, and I don't ever see it as true competition for an ereader.

There has been one software update to make it at least marginally usable, but its still frustrating just to turn it on and try to use it.

I read on the web that they will give you a refund or take it back for the firmware update
Lucien Buonaparte speaking of a young lady... "ever fresh, not like a rose, but like a good radish"
Napoleon Buonaparte on the reason for marriage: " I want to marry a womb" - Those Buonapartes sure knew how to woo a woman!

Frequent Contributor
bga_reviews
0 Kudos

One of my coworkers has one of these and he's not very happy with it, although he hasn't taken it back it. It sounds like the new firmware doesn't fix all the problems, either.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Darkkin
0 Kudos

I've seen it.  Basicly, its a fusion between the iPad and the Nook, (backlit LCD).  I'll stick with my eInk until they pry my Nook from my cold, dead hands.  :smileywink:

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Contributor
leaannzle
0 Kudos

Mom is still holding out, hoping for a magical firmware update that will make it usable, even though she is aware she can get her money back.  She should have bought her Nook first, like her wise daughter told her to do :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

leaannzle wrote:

Mom is still holding out, hoping for a magical firmware update that will make it usable, even though she is aware she can get her money back.  She should have bought her Nook first, like her wise daughter told her to do :smileyhappy:

LOL!  Lincoln's advice to Grant when he asked the President how to treat the surrendered Confederates could help here:  "Let 'em up easy, General, let 'em up easy!"  :smileywink:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Reader
pipi1usa
0 Kudos

Here is the link to download the software upgrade.

http://www.pandigital.net/Downloads

You need to load the upgrade from your PC to a memory card, put the memory card into the Novel and then hold the turn on switch and the Volume up button in at the same time to turn on the Novel and it will upgrade the software in the Novel.

You will then have to re-setup the Novel, time/calibration/etc.

I don't remember if you lose your books or not but you can download them again from B&N.

Your serial number will be set to all zeroes so make a note of it before the upgrade.

Pandigital will still owner your warranty if you have the serial number and sales recipe.

The user manual is also on this page at the bottom so you can download it to your PC and read/print it from there. Page 59-60 show how to upgrade the software.

The new software still needs some work but I have been reading books just fine.

I set the contrast down to just before it goes very dim and have been getting up to 8 hour's use. If you use WiFi be sure to turn it off after your done using it as it will drain the battery overnight searching for a signal every ten minutes or so if you have the Novel in standby mode.

Hope this helps.