Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard
Posts: 496
Registered: ‎06-10-2010
0 Kudos

Re: New NOOK Touch Screen page turning is annoying!


mykoffee wrote:

Personally this is one of the features I love about the device, that the touch screen is so sensitive, it makes turning the pages a breeze.  I'd much rather have this than having to touch or swipe it over and over before it responds.   Why would someone purchase a touch reader only to turn off the touch feature?  I don't get it.



They don't want to turn the "touch feature" off, they only want to turn off one gesture (maybe two). Seem very reasonable to me. I have zero problems with accidental page turns, but that's me. If someone else has problems here, I can fully understand why they'd want to turn that one gesture off. What I don't get are people who don't understand this and/or people who think it's unreasonable to ask for this option in the device. :smileyhappy:

 

It should be a very simple feature to implement, and should be included in the next update, IMHO.

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/wekempf
AlanNJ
Posts: 3,722
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: New NOOK Touch Screen page turning is annoying!


sirwillard wrote:

mykoffee wrote:

Personally this is one of the features I love about the device, that the touch screen is so sensitive, it makes turning the pages a breeze.  I'd much rather have this than having to touch or swipe it over and over before it responds.   Why would someone purchase a touch reader only to turn off the touch feature?  I don't get it.



They don't want to turn the "touch feature" off, they only want to turn off one gesture (maybe two). Seem very reasonable to me. I have zero problems with accidental page turns, but that's me. If someone else has problems here, I can fully understand why they'd want to turn that one gesture off. What I don't get are people who don't understand this and/or people who think it's unreasonable to ask for this option in the device. :smileyhappy:

 

It should be a very simple feature to implement, and should be included in the next update, IMHO.


I absolutely agree that it should be an option but we have no way of knowing if or when that option will be implemented.  My understanding (which could be wrong) is that B&N only offiers a refund within the first 2 weeks of purchasing a device.  If someone is not happy with the touch screen capabilities of a touch screen device then I suggest they return the device until the features they want are implemented at which point they could re-purchase the device.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
Posts: 912
Registered: ‎08-30-2010
0 Kudos

Re: New NOOK Touch Screen page turning is annoying!

[ Edited ]

I picked up an N2E a few days ago just to try it out. (My NOOK lust got the best of me.:smileywink:

 

The touch screen page turns--tap or swipe--work OK for me.  I noticed unexpected page turns only a couple of times. 

 

What gets me are the buttons.  I can get a button to work only on one of about seven tries.  Frustrating! After spending a few minutes trying to find the button "sweet spot," I gave up, read using the touch screen to turn pages, then went back to my N1E.

 

I've never thought of myself as a slow reader; perhaps I am.  I noticed a slightly slower page turn when I went back to the N1E, but the act and speed of page turning were comfortable-- dare I say, even comforting. 

 

If I decide to keep the N2E--the text is crisper, the weight is nice--it will be as my secondary reader as the "2" in its name implies.

 

BTW--I (female 5'3") put the N2E in the pocket of my cargo pants on the ride home.

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
Posts: 623
Registered: ‎01-24-2010

Re: New NOOK Touch Screen page turning is annoying!


sirwillard wrote:


They don't want to turn the "touch feature" off, they only want to turn off one gesture (maybe two). Seem very reasonable to me. I have zero problems with accidental page turns, but that's me. If someone else has problems here, I can fully understand why they'd want to turn that one gesture off. What I don't get are people who don't understand this and/or people who think it's unreasonable to ask for this option in the device. :smileyhappy:

 

It should be a very simple feature to implement, and should be included in the next update, IMHO.


 

Not really one gesture or two since reading (turning pages) is what we're doing 99% of the time on the device.     Sorry but I just don't understand the logic of having a touch screen device if you don't want the touch screen feature.     Just IMHO of course!  :smileyhappy:

Reader 2
CrimsonRave
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎12-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: New NOOK Touch Screen page turning is annoying!

Wow!  After reading this I am starting to think that I may stay with my 1st edition.  I like to use my fingers sometimes because it helps me to read faster, but I still want page turn enabled.  I guess I will stick with the 1st edition for now.

 

One thing that I do like about the Touch is how you can spread the lines apart.  Really helps me out.  Wish I did have that!

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
Posts: 524
Registered: ‎10-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: New NOOK Touch Screen page turning is annoying!

Does the touch screen work when the device is in a Trendy Digital water prood case (or similar, like... a zip loc <g>)?

 

LisaB

AlanNJ
Posts: 3,722
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: New NOOK Touch Screen page turning is annoying!


CrimsonRave wrote:

Wow!  After reading this I am starting to think that I may stay with my 1st edition.  I like to use my fingers sometimes because it helps me to read faster, but I still want page turn enabled.  I guess I will stick with the 1st edition for now.

 

One thing that I do like about the Touch is how you can spread the lines apart.  Really helps me out.  Wish I did have that!


If you read with your fingers (moving them over every line on the page) you will probably not be happy with the touch screen.  Touch screen reacts to touch (by definition)... :smileywink:

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard
Posts: 496
Registered: ‎06-10-2010
0 Kudos

Re: New NOOK Touch Screen page turning is annoying!


mykoffee wrote:

sirwillard wrote:


They don't want to turn the "touch feature" off, they only want to turn off one gesture (maybe two). Seem very reasonable to me. I have zero problems with accidental page turns, but that's me. If someone else has problems here, I can fully understand why they'd want to turn that one gesture off. What I don't get are people who don't understand this and/or people who think it's unreasonable to ask for this option in the device. :smileyhappy:

 

It should be a very simple feature to implement, and should be included in the next update, IMHO.


 

Not really one gesture or two since reading (turning pages) is what we're doing 99% of the time on the device.     Sorry but I just don't understand the logic of having a touch screen device if you don't want the touch screen feature.     Just IMHO of course!  :smileyhappy:



The number of times you do it doesn't change the fact that it's a single gesture. The touch functionality is most useful when it comes to navigating the menus, not for turning the pages. There is a reason the device has multiple page turn buttons, after all.

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/wekempf
AlanNJ
Posts: 3,722
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: New NOOK Touch Screen page turning is annoying!


sirwillard wrote:

mykoffee wrote:

sirwillard wrote:


They don't want to turn the "touch feature" off, they only want to turn off one gesture (maybe two). Seem very reasonable to me. I have zero problems with accidental page turns, but that's me. If someone else has problems here, I can fully understand why they'd want to turn that one gesture off. What I don't get are people who don't understand this and/or people who think it's unreasonable to ask for this option in the device. :smileyhappy:

 

It should be a very simple feature to implement, and should be included in the next update, IMHO.


 

Not really one gesture or two since reading (turning pages) is what we're doing 99% of the time on the device.     Sorry but I just don't understand the logic of having a touch screen device if you don't want the touch screen feature.     Just IMHO of course!  :smileyhappy:



The number of times you do it doesn't change the fact that it's a single gesture. The touch functionality is most useful when it comes to navigating the menus, not for turning the pages. There is a reason the device has multiple page turn buttons, after all.


I will have my N2E for two weeks tomorrow and I can tell that I've rarely used the side buttons to turn the page.  I tap the screen on the right or left side to do that.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,552
Registered: ‎01-05-2010

Re: New NOOK Touch Screen page turning is annoying!

[ Edited ]

RealAct wrote:

I love my new NOOK touch, however I definitely hate the touch screen page turning, it's very annoying, I tend to put my fingers on top of the screen a lot causing unwanted/unrequested and unexpected page turns which I have not intended.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------

 

As Steve Jobs would say, why don't you just hold it differently? :smileywink:

 

Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard
Posts: 496
Registered: ‎06-10-2010
0 Kudos

Re: New NOOK Touch Screen page turning is annoying!


AlanNJ wrote:
I will have my N2E for two weeks tomorrow and I can tell that I've rarely used the side buttons to turn the page.  I tap the screen on the right or left side to do that.


I'm in the same category, but different people will have different preferences.

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/wekempf
Inspired Contributor
robin-d
Posts: 35
Registered: ‎08-24-2009

Re: New NOOK Touch Screen page turning is annoying!

so you want a touchscreen not to be touchscreen? i have the simple and i do sometimes turn the pages when i move around the house with it but you have to realize how touch works you turn that off then you can't look up words or do anything. so to turn off just page turning might be tricky with the code of program which may result in bugs/glitches. try a cover or a new way to hold or just bookmark alot.

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
Posts: 623
Registered: ‎01-24-2010
0 Kudos

Re: New NOOK Touch Screen page turning is annoying!


sirwillard wrote:

mykoffee wrote:

The number of times you do it doesn't change the fact that it's a single gesture. The touch functionality is most useful when it comes to navigating the menus, not for turning the pages. There is a reason the device has multiple page turn buttons, after all.



Most useful with the menu functions?  Ok, if you say so, everyone is different.   I know I spend far more time reading than navigating menu buttons.    It's far more than a single gesture, perhaps the single most used gesture.  And yes it does have buttons on the outside (though they are somewhat faulty) if you don't want to use the touchsreen, seems like we already have the choice here to me.   If you don't want a touchscreen device then I don't think the Nook Simple Touch is the reader for you but again that's IMHO.  

Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard
Posts: 496
Registered: ‎06-10-2010

Re: New NOOK Touch Screen page turning is annoying!

Wow, people really are failing to understand something very simple, and are getting very defensive for no reason.

 

1. Again, it doesn't matter how often you do it, it's one gesture. Waving is one gesture. Pointing is one gesture. If you wave three times, you've still made one gesture, you've just done it three times. What we're talking about is one gesture (touching the side of the screen to turn a page) or possibly two gestures (touching the side of the screen, or swiping, to turn the page).

 

2. No one has suggested turning the touch screen off. What's been suggested is an option to turn off the one gesture of touching the side of the screen to turn a page. All other gestures will remain.

 

3. Just because you (and actually, I do as well) prefer to use the touch gesture to turn pages does not mean others do. Some prefer the buttons. Others prefer swiping. This is why the N2E uses all three gestures for this action. The point made, though, is that one of the gestures (touching the side of the screen) is very easy for some people to accidentally do. That's a valid point that can't be disputed. For these people, it would be beneficial if they could disable that one gesture. This doesn't mean touch is turned off (they may even use the swipe gesture!), it doesn't mean they don't like the touch interface, and it doesn't mean they are asking for something that will have any effect to you or your preferences.

 

You don't get why someone would want to turn this off? I don't get why you care, much less why it's so hard for you to figure out even if you have different preferences. After all, my preferences happen to be yours, and I can still understand and sympathize with those who have different preferences.

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/wekempf
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,552
Registered: ‎01-05-2010

Re: New NOOK Touch Screen page turning is annoying!

I am all for options in applications and devices.  I couldn't be more in favor of them.  But I've had a nook since Jan 2010 and have been around for all the updates.  I know that when B&N tries to do something like this they almost always wind up breaking something else.  I don't write code for B&N, so I don't know for sure how complicated this option is, but I do know (as I write code elsewhere) that it's not as simple as some of the posters seem to think it is.  So no, I don't want B&N to attempt to implement this option.  If someone does not want a touch screen device, they should not buy a touch screen device.

 

I bought the nook because I don't want to use page turn buttons.  There is a great device out there that uses page turn buttons and does not allow touchscreen page turns.  It's called a kindle, and it would be a great device for anyone who dislikes the ability to touch the screen to turn the page.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
Posts: 3,334
Registered: ‎09-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: New NOOK Touch Screen page turning is annoying!


keriflur wrote:

I don't write code for B&N, so I don't know for sure how complicated this option is, but I do know (as I write code elsewhere) that it's not as simple as some of the posters seem to think it is.  So no, I don't want B&N to attempt to implement this option.  If someone does not want a touch screen device, they should not buy a touch screen device.


I do not write code for a living, but I immediately thought this seemed much more complicated than creating an option checkbox.  This is one change that, while it could be useful to a small amount of people, I hope they don't implement.   

 

I won't go there about K3 as keriflur has, but one will notice that I laurelled her post.

Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard
Posts: 496
Registered: ‎06-10-2010
0 Kudos

Re: New NOOK Touch Screen page turning is annoying!

[ Edited ]

I'm a developer as well, and do know what I'm talking about. As far as "features" are concerned, this is trivial. And I'm really getting tired of people saying "If someone does not want a touch screen device, they should not buy a touch screen device." An option to turn off this one gesture in no way disables the touch screen, diminishes the use of the touch screen, or indicates in any way that someone who wants this feature does not want a touch screen. How this is not understandable, especially to someone claiming to be a developer, is beyond me.

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/wekempf
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
Posts: 3,334
Registered: ‎09-29-2010

Re: New NOOK Touch Screen page turning is annoying!

[ Edited ]

If the device, as it is sold, doesn't work for you, it isn't the device for you.  [Unless you can capably hack it and make it work for you.  Buying it, noticing a dealbreaker, asking for it to be fixed and keeping said device rather than returning it is a bad plan.]

 

Do people really not get that?

 

If tapping to change the page doesn't work for Susan, then a device that taps to change the page won't work for Susan.  It is in her best interest to find a device that works for her.

 

I have absolutely no faith that B&N could implement such an option without breaking all touch features.

 

The request isn't particularly out of line.  Requesting it of B&N is ludicrous.  They'll fix that and break swiping and menu navigation and it will take 6 months for them to fix those initially promised features.  Their track record speaks for itself; wasn't N1E initially released with the promise of syncing page numbers, bookmarks, highlights to other their apps and other NOOK devices?  Does that work regularly yet, 18 months later?

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
Posts: 623
Registered: ‎01-24-2010
0 Kudos

Re: New NOOK Touch Screen page turning is annoying!


sirwillard wrote:

 

You don't get why someone would want to turn this off? I don't get why you care, much less why it's so hard for you to figure out even if you have different preferences. After all, my preferences happen to be yours, and I can still understand and sympathize with those who have different preferences.



Good grief, you are starting to take this in a ridiculous direction,  no need to try to make it personal.  This is a Nook discussion board and I think I have as much right to post my opinion as anyone else, I've thrown in an IMHO after every post even to make that clear.   Yes I care,  I wouldn't be discussing anything on this board if I didn't care/have an interest.   :smileyhappy:      I absolutely agree that everyone has different preferences, I just think if your preference takes you away from using a touch screen feature than perhaps the Nook Touch isn't the device for you.    Since this is a discussion board I would assume that a variance of opinions are welcome.

 

 

AlanNJ
Posts: 3,722
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: New NOOK Touch Screen page turning is annoying!


mykoffee wrote:

sirwillard wrote:

 

You don't get why someone would want to turn this off? I don't get why you care, much less why it's so hard for you to figure out even if you have different preferences. After all, my preferences happen to be yours, and I can still understand and sympathize with those who have different preferences.



Good grief, you are starting to take this in a ridiculous direction,  no need to try to make it personal.  This is a Nook discussion board and I think I have as much right to post my opinion as anyone else, I've thrown in an IMHO after every post even to make that clear.   Yes I care,  I wouldn't be discussing anything on this board if I didn't care/have an interest.   :smileyhappy:      I absolutely agree that everyone has different preferences, I just think if your preference takes you away from using a touch screen feature than perhaps the Nook Touch isn't the device for you.    Since this is a discussion board I would assume that a variance of opinions are welcome.

 

 


This is what I've been saying all along.  The N2E isn't for everyone.  If you don't want a device that focuses on a touch screen I honestly don't know why anyone would purchase this?

►Without order there is chaos◄