Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
RealAct
0 Kudos

Re: New NOOK Touch Screen page turning is annoying!

AndyfromVA wrote:

No, folks on this Board are not narrow minded.  They just don't happen to agree with you.

I don't own a N2E (not yet anyway) but I certainly wouldn't buy one based on the expectation that certain features would be added.  That makes absolutely no sense at all.

Sorry, but failing to comprehend that I'm not asking for something to be removed, while on the contrary I'm asking for something to be ADDED is being ignorant, also I DID NOT say EVERYONE on this board or thread is being ignorant, do not put words on my mouth, also what gave you the impression that I purchased this device based on the expectation that certain features would be added? that's ignorant IMHO, I purchased because I liked it and still do, I just DISCOVERED and came to the CONCLUSION after extensive testing which you cannot come to with 10 or 15 minutes of playing with a demo unit that there is THIS SPECIFIC functionality that "I" don't find useful for me and yes it is ANNOYING for "ME" as a user.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

@RealAct

Don't worry about it and don't take any forum post too seriously. If we all dropped dead tomorrow you wouldn't miss us. :smileytongue:

I'm afraid I may have started this squabbling by poking fun at Alan who I thought read more into your post and suggestion than was actually there. I apologize to you for that and to Andy because he apparently didn't appreciate my humor. :smileysad:

If it will make you feel any better, a number of people have posted about the same issue with the Nook Color. Inadvertently changing pages while holding the device.

Unfortunately it will be months before your suggestion is implemented if ever. I'm pretty sure by that time you will find a workaround to your current dilemma.:smileyhappy:

Contributor
RealAct
0 Kudos

Thanks gstone!

it is nice to read your posts and those of others who have replied full of understanding and feedback, it is most definitely appreciated, some people have suggested things such as using a cover for the device which I might consider, money is not an issue either, I still have my Kindle and certainly I can read on my new NOOK with no problems too when in a seating position for instance with the nook on my desk etc, so I will just patiently wait for a fix or find another solution along the way like you said.

Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

RealAct wrote:

AndyfromVA wrote:

No, folks on this Board are not narrow minded.  They just don't happen to agree with you.

I don't own a N2E (not yet anyway) but I certainly wouldn't buy one based on the expectation that certain features would be added.  That makes absolutely no sense at all.

Sorry, but failing to comprehend that I'm not asking for something to be removed, while on the contrary I'm asking for something to be ADDED is being ignorant, also I DID NOT say EVERYONE on this board or thread is being ignorant, do not put words on my mouth, also what gave you the impression that I purchased this device based on the expectation that certain features would be added? that's ignorant IMHO, I purchased because I liked it and still do, I just DISCOVERED and came to the CONCLUSION after extensive testing which you cannot come to with 10 or 15 minutes of playing with a demo unit that there is THIS SPECIFIC functionality that "I" don't find useful for me and yes it is ANNOYING for "ME" as a user.

Realact, perhaps this is not the device for you. I understand where you are coming from, but there are other ereaders out there that are touch and have page turn buttons but require a swipe to turn the page.

You may want to look at the sony readers. They are very good (no wifi though on the 5 and 6 inch) You will not change the page by accidentally touching the screen like the nook and kobo touch.

If you are interested borders has the pocket edition sony  350 for $99.98 with free shipping. Its a well reviewed device.

If you want the bigger prs-650, borders pyhsical stores are clearencing them to make room for the kobo touch.($179 for the 650 at the borders by my house) I know that sounds expensive but these things are getting harder to find and go for over $300 online right now. My girlfriend has one and loves it. It has many options that the cheaper readers do not.

Contributor
RealAct
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks Anthony1970, yours are also valued and valid suggestions, will consider those e-readers too.

New User
headshock1111
0 Kudos

i agree completely!

I only get this when i read in bed on my side, but myself and alot of people read most of their time this way!

It would be great to just be able to have a switch in the quicknav bar for turning off touch controls while in a book!

Inspired Correspondent
LEChakan
0 Kudos

DeltaT wrote:.

I love, love my N2E, but i want an easy way to put it to sleep quickly - maybe a press and hold for 3+ seconds on the N button in front.

This is a terrific idea, as the rear button requires more contorted effort than, IMHO, should be necessary. Perhaps the manufacturing process leaves individual units with varied sensitivity on the rear button?

L

Correspondent
Steph0690
0 Kudos

RealAct wrote:

I love my new NOOK touch, however I definitely hate the touch screen page turning, it's very annoying, I tend to put my fingers on top of the screen a lot causing unwanted/unrequested and unexpected page turns which I have not intended, I think this is a MUST HAVE feature, so the user can decide whether to enable or disable the page turnings or at least make it so that only happens when you touch a specific area of the screen away from the middle or bottom edges of the screen.

An option to ONLY make page turning possible through the hardware keys should be enable, this would make this device perfect IMHO.

Realact,

Your idea makes a lot of sense, that would be a great option for those who do not wish to use the touch screen to turn pages. I myself love the fact that I can tap the screen to turn the page but sometimes find myself accidentally turning a page. This would be a great feature in a future update perhaps.

friend me on Goodreads :smileyhappy:
http://www.goodreads.com/stephanya