Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 4
Amon_DeWinter

New NOOK

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

I am new to the nook, but have been looking at getting a e-reader for a long while now and these boards have been helpful.  Now that I have had my nook for a few days I wish to share my thoughts;

1.  This device is a pleasure to read on, I am sure I am reading faster than I do form a book.  I have not timed it, just a feel thing.

2.  It is easy on the eyes.  I work in front of a computer I did not want a color e-reader.  I got my wife an I-Pad which we love and it is getting her into computers finally, but for reading I think the nook does a better job as that is it’s sole function.  The I-Pad dose many thing and does them well, and even reading on it is very good, but an e-ink reader is better for JUST reading.

3.  The thing is so easy to use and set up that I am shocked at all the complaints on the boards.  I know some people are not tech savvy, but a little reading goes a long way.  The only hiccup I had was joining to my wi-fi router.  I had to do this two times, but the second time went fine.  This may have been a signal issue, some times I have to turn wi-fi off and on on my laptop when it comes out of sleep mode to reconnect.

4.  The type set has only a few fonts, but it is easy to change and one of the them should suit your eyes.  The font size has a bigger range of options but the lager type face puts too little of the page no the screen at one time, I am using the small size and ware my reading glass, the page feels like a real book.

5.  I have two books now and had no problem buying or getting them on my nook.  They have not come off my registered gift card, but that is B&N web problem and not a nook one.

6.  I had to down load and side load the 1.5 update, but the tech article on the support page is spot on, anyone should be able to follow it.  The nook updated without issue and the screen re-fresh rate is improved, on par if not a tad faster than the Kindle.

I did not get the Kindle due to the feel of the device and I do not like Amazon, both personal reasons.  I did not want another I-Pad, I may get one when version 2 comes out as I can see where it will fit in between my phone and and my computer; but I wanted a reading device.  The Sony readers are great, but pricy.  The nook had the best feel, price, range of supported file types, and B&N which I like.  As with all reviews these are my opinions and you milage my vary.

Frequent Contributor
Rockethead26
0 Kudos

Re: New NOOK

I'm right there with you Amon. One week for me and everything about the Nook so far has been a complete pleasure. I went to a B&N store for the first time yesterday since getting my Nook and took advantage of their specials. I read free for an hour "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo" and got just to the point where the girl was introduced when my hour was up. It got me interested enough that I will probably buy the series soon (I already have over 40 books to read on my Nook). This B&N was out of the Smoothie mixes, but offered a free Frappuccino instead. I really like reading on my Nook. It's just, well, effortless.

Frequent Contributor
kellar

Excellent.  I’m glad someone is happy out there.  I don’t remember half these problems a year ago when I got my nook.

I'm glad you are a nook fan, as am I, but I must disagree with you about the page turn rate against the Kindle. The Kindle3 is faster, like lickety split fast.  The 1.5 update much improved the page turn rate of the Nook, which is a good thing.  I agree with you about the feel of the Kindle3.  It was awkward to hold, and the page turn buttons seemed really flimsy and cheap.  I didn’t like it, and gifted it. 

I’ve been beyond frustration with my nook(s) at times, but we kiss and make up.  I haven’t found a better ereader out there yet. I have the nook classic and the NookColor.  Both great for what they do.  My nook goes with me during the day, and I read on my NookColor at night.  Both are good ereaders.  No, I don’t work for BN. :smileywink:

Inspired Contributor
skinny12

I agree with the reasons listed as well. I am on my third Nook. I had the wi-fi and then exchanged it for the 3G. I took it back due to frustrations with it freezing up on me. After I took the 2nd one back and got my money back I realized my problem. I was running my laptop and Nook off of my router. My wife bought me another Nook wi-fi for Christmas and I took another ethernet cable and ran it from the laptop to slot 1 on the router so I do not have to use the router for the laptop. No freezing problems with the wi-fi now. I wish that I would have contacted tech support when I had the first one so that I would not have had to return it or even thought of the fix before I took it back. I got the 3G version since I had problems with the freezing on the first one and the 3G did the same thing. So far the only problem with freezing was within the first couple of days after Christmas. I got really irritated because the screen said "loading" and never seemed to display the selections. I got on the net and went to the B&N Community only to discover that the system was overloaded. Sometimes I could not even get in through the laptop and got Server Busy messages. Before I checked the website I was ready to return the 3rd one as well I waited a couple of days and even tried loading before the busy time after 5 pm and was able to get in with no problems. I love my Nook and will not take this one back. I was seriously considering getting a "K word" from the "A word" store but I am glad that I didn't. Now I need to get a pin # from my library so I can check out ebooks for my Nook.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

skinny12 wrote:

Now I need to get a pin # from my library so I can check out ebooks for my Nook.

This is my absolute favorite feature of NOOK.  (I know some of the other readers can do it as well, and I'm sure I'd love a Sony if I had one of those.)  This will make any and all frustrations you had worth it.

Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

I don't know a lot about computer hardware, my daughter set up my wi-fi a couple of years ago, so forgive me if I am not understanding what you are saying.

At holiday times when we have a bunch of thirty somethings and their children here, we have two or three laptops, an ipod touch and a nook all on wi-fi at the same time. None of he devices seem to drop or have any problems.

I do know that we are are the weak end of our Time Warner/Roadrunner cable, but we do pay for faster service. Am I just lucky or is this the way wi-fi should work?

Frequent Contributor
svsu
0 Kudos

I had my nook since June 2010 and had my first problem last night. The nook was completely forzen. It would not start up. I took out the battery and rebooted it- still no luck. I took it into  BN store today and it was a faulty  battery. They simply swaped it with a new one. Now im back to reading again. Customer service at BN has been great to me, and its only 5 miles away.I checked out the K3 at Best Buy and it felt so flimsy and cheap. I check out the amazon kindle forum and now they are having problems with the letters rubbing off on their hard buttons. THey have their share of problems over there too.

Inspired Contributor
skinny12
0 Kudos

My wi-fi router is a weaker signal Linksys. Running the laptop wirelessly along with the Nook seemed to not have enough signal strength for both at the same time. I do not mind running my laptop the old fashioned way with it hard wired directly to the router since it sits on a desk and never moves to a couch or recliner with me. It is the only computer we have so everyone uses it and is just easier to have it sitting on a desk. Plus we have it plugged in all of the time so I don't have to worry about recharging the battery.

With the router not being used for the lap top the full signal goes to the Nook wi-fi and it just runs flawlessly for me now. I had another ethernet cable so it was not a big deal to use it for the laptop. 

If you have that many devices running off of your router that is good. I am not very tech savvy so my fix was quick and easy and works perfectly for me.