Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
stephadelphia
0 Kudos

New Nook Color USB problem

I just received a nook color for xmas and just tried to transfer music to it from my PC.  I have read online and from the tutorial that the Nook will not charge when connected via USB to PC, BUT, mine does.  It will charge when connected to PC, however, I cannot for the life of me, get it to show up on my computer to transfer files.  I am wondering if there is something wrong the the USB port on the Nook?  I am able to connect other devices (ipod, camera) to my PC and they are recognized and I am able to transfer files...Anyone else having this problem?  I have been on hold with CS for 31 min now. Please HELP!!!

Contributor
booklovinmathteacher
0 Kudos

Re: New Nook Color USB problem

[ Edited ]

Mine shows up as a "Media" drive.  I am running Windows 7.

New User
JoyCarol
0 Kudos

I too am having a problem getting my PC to recognize the USB connection to the NookColor.  Big inconvenience. 

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

stephadelphia wrote:

I just received a nook color for xmas and just tried to transfer music to it from my PC.  I have read online and from the tutorial that the Nook will not charge when connected via USB to PC, BUT, mine does.  It will charge when connected to PC, however, I cannot for the life of me, get it to show up on my computer to transfer files.  I am wondering if there is something wrong the the USB port on the Nook?  I am able to connect other devices (ipod, camera) to my PC and they are recognized and I am able to transfer files...Anyone else having this problem?  I have been on hold with CS for 31 min now. Please HELP!!!

Turn the NC on.    Not just have the screen "lit" at the wakeup screen, you have to drag the green tab on the lower left of the screen to the right.

---------
Don
Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

I would try the following:

1. Reboot computer.

2. Reboot NookColor.

3. Attach NookColor to PC and MAKE SURE that it is turned on, i.e. slide the green "n" to the right on the touch screen.

4. Try a different USB port on he computer.

5. Try a different USb cable (the NookColor does NOT need its proprietary USB cable to attch to a PC).

If all of the above doesn't help then I think I would return to the nearest B&N store and discuss the problem with them.  Can also try calling Cusomer Service at 1-800-THE-BOOK.

Good luck . . .

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Contributor
mbarb54
0 Kudos

I was having the same issue getting my Windows 7 to recognize my Nook Color. As soon as I made sure the device was turned on, my computer recognized the Nook and I was able to transfer files.

New User
Kirbster66
0 Kudos

donc13 wrote:

Turn the NC on.    Not just have the screen "lit" at the wakeup screen, you have to drag the green tab on the lower left of the screen to the right.

Argh! Such a simple solution to a vexing problem! My old Nook was recognized immediately, so it never occured to me that I had to fully turn on the NC to get it recognized. I was going crazy trying to figure out how to transfer files.

If anyone at B&N is reading this, this should be fixed in a future update. As soon as the NC is plugged in, it should be recognized like the old Nook was.

Thanks, donc13!

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Kirbster66 wrote:

donc13 wrote:

Argh! Such a simple solution to a vexing problem! My old Nook was recognized immediately, so it never occured to me that I had to fully turn on the NC to get it recognized. I was going crazy trying to figure out how to transfer files.

If anyone at B&N is reading this, this should be fixed in a future update. As soon as the NC is plugged in, it should be recognized like the old Nook was.

Thanks, donc13!

Yea....the user guide that comes loaded doesn't really go into that, it should at least be documented in the Guide...but isn't

---------
Don
Contributor
The-Freelance-Traveller
0 Kudos

I've been able to get the computer to recognize the nookcolor via USB, but not to STAY connected - after a few seconds, the nookcolor will "bounce in and out", with audible signals on both the computer and the nookcolor. I took mine back to the B&N store I purchased it at, and tried it right there in front of them, with several different cables and several different nookcolor units, and the problem occurred in every single case - and the rep there said he'd seen it before.  The same computer with a nook (not color) has no problem; this tends to point to a fundamental problem in the design of the nookcolor, not a problem with the computer(s) that they're being connected to. Has anyone seen anything similar with other, non-nook, android devices?
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

The-Freelance-Traveller wrote:
I've been able to get the computer to recognize the nookcolor via USB, but not to STAY connected - after a few seconds, the nookcolor will "bounce in and out", with audible signals on both the computer and the nookcolor. I took mine back to the B&N store I purchased it at, and tried it right there in front of them, with several different cables and several different nookcolor units, and the problem occurred in every single case - and the rep there said he'd seen it before.  The same computer with a nook (not color) has no problem; this tends to point to a fundamental problem in the design of the nookcolor, not a problem with the computer(s) that they're being connected to. Has anyone seen anything similar with other, non-nook, android devices?

I have had no issue with my NOOK, NOOKcolor, or my Android phone when connecting them to my computer.  Did the store exchange yours for you?  They should have.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

The-Freelance-Traveller wrote:

Not with android devices but I have on an older WD external Hard drive.  With the supplied cable it would connect and then "bounce in and out". The WD drive is trying to draw more power through the USB port than is allocated when other USB devices are connected. WD's solution was to send me a new cable with a splitter so it can be plugged into two USB ports. Or, I could use the supplied cable and only connect to an external self powered USB Hub. Both workarounds solved the problem but in the end I used the supplied cable and the USB Hub on my monitor.

This may or may not have anything to do with what you are experiencing but the symptoms are the same.

New User
Jo_Books
0 Kudos

Notebook or desktop?  OS?  Could be USB port problem on your pc.  If that's the problem I know how to fix it, regedit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SYSTEM, CurrentControlSet001, Enum, USB, if you have a ton of VID folders (not root hubs) there are no available virtual usb ports, each of the VID's represent devices you have plugged into your computer that enumerated.  Under Each VID click and expand the VID folder and highlight what is under it (one at a time if more than one) look over to the right and look at DEVICEDESC it will tell what the device is.  If it is a flash drive, printer you no longer have, camera that is not plugged in, right click on the VID folder above and click permissions, click full control allow and then hit the delete key.  Go through all of them (be very careful you delete only what your not using, no longer have or something that you can plugged in again and it will enumerate again).  when your all done cleaning up, close regedit, reboot your machine and plug your nook in, it should then show in my computer as a Media Drive 

New User
Beezer70
0 Kudos

stephadelphia wrote:

It may be that Nook has gone to sleep. I slide the logo on the right to wake it up and

the Nook was recognized.

New User
rvemis
0 Kudos

I have the same problem with NC. When I first try it out NC was recognized by my computer....and that was the only one time when it does :smileyhappy:. Now it cannot be recognize by it. The only reason I am still using the USB NC cable is to charge it. For transferring file I am using a not B&N usb cable. Anyone...any ideea why B&N usb cable doesn't work for file transfer?- it only works for charging. I am from Europe and we do not have any B&N shop around here to ask them what's the problem. Thanks

Contributor
lollyLD
0 Kudos

I too have been unable to get my NC seen by my laptop running Vista or my desktop running XP. Following all the suggestions here and even calling CS has only frustrated me more. CS is sending a new cable, but why are so many folks having the same problem if it's my cable? My NC is awake and I have moved bar across the screen. I have rebooted everything and tried different USB ports. When I hook NC to PC, no new device appears (recognized as media or otherwise). My laptop always sees other devices (cameras, GPS, external HD, etc) they show up every time. Is this my cable as CS says. I have been waiting over a week, and it still has not shipped out. Should I try and buy another one in a store someplace (they are not available online from BN)? I have only had NC for a month and never been able to use PC to transfer files. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Correspondent
Alanakat
0 Kudos

Maybe you should check out the section for Nook Color technical support. Maybe they can help

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/bd-p/NOOKcolortechnicalsupport

Contributor
lollyLD
0 Kudos

What cable did you find to work for you? I was told by CS not to use any other cable, it would damage device

Wordsmith
daenas
0 Kudos

I just got my Nook color yesterday and I've noticed the same thing.  My computer, VISTA, will make the audible "boink" sound as if connecting and disconnecting on the Nook. And when I have the Computer folder up, the NookColor drive appears and disappears.  Also on the Nook screen the "connected to USB" flashes in and out.  I've also noticed that when I'm charging the Nook Color and move it, there is a sound on the Nook and it flashes w/ "Charging".  My suspicions is that the mini usb connection is loose and when wiggled or jiggled it connects and disconnects.  I'm going to take mine back to the store and get it replaced.  This isn't a good thing.