Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
Critteranne
0 Kudos

New Nook Touch Says It's Out of Storage Space

I bought a Nook Touch at the B&N last week. (Love the Nook Color, but sometimes I want something lighter. :smileyhappy:) While I was in the store, I started to download the books on my account. And I'll admit that I have a lot of them. After a number of downloads, I started getting "Unable to Download" messages telling me that my Nook's memory may be full.

I thought I could try connecting it to the computer to remove some of the giant enhanced ebooks that downloaded to it, but the B&N content is hidden. Is there a way to view the hidden files? For now, I've tried archiving them from my computer as I really don't need to read the enhanced Jekyll and Hyde right now. But I'm still getting the message.

I've added an SD card, but I'm assuming that will only hold sideloaded content -- because my "undownloaded" books still won't download. According to settings, available storage is 236 MB free of 236 MB, but I'm assuming that's the space I have left for the sideloaded content.

Correspondent
cinderxhella
0 Kudos

Re: New Nook Touch Says It's Out of Storage Space

Why don't you archive them from the N2E rather than your computer?

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

You only have about 750 MB for B&N downloaded content.  To free up space, you will need to archive to B&N's site.  You will not be able to transfer B&N downloaded books from your Nook to your computer.  This is a digital rights issue. 

Inspired Correspondent
apetit
0 Kudos

Big_Dave_H wrote:

You only have about 750 MB for B&N downloaded content.  To free up space, you will need to archive to B&N's site.  You will not be able to transfer B&N downloaded books from your Nook to your computer.  This is a digital rights issue. 

How is this a DRM issue?  I ask because the implication is that you are only allowed to have a "set" number of licensed books available to read - which does not make sense (even in the almost nonsensical world of DRM).

I can believe that it is an issue of storage space on the device.  When the storage allocated for downloaded B&N content is full this kind of error occurs.  Has the OP tried downloading content and sideloading it to the SD card?

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Big_Dave_H wrote:

You can't copy B&N books from the N2E to your computer beause you can't see them, but you can sideload B&N books to the any of the Nooks if you download them to your computer first.  I do it all the time, when I want a B&N book on the SD card instead of main memory.  I archive it on the site then download and sideload it to the Nook.

Wordsmith
Critteranne
0 Kudos

cinderxhella wrote:

Why don't you archive them from the N2E rather than your computer?

I tried that with some of the enhanced books, but it wouldn't let me do that -- maybe because they were titles that couldn't be opened on the N2E (only on the NC). They ended up on the "Everything Else" category in the N2E library (along with apps and Read To Me books). If I tap them, I get a window with a message telling me that they cannot be opened on this Nook, and a few options (such as reviews), but no Archive button.

It's possible these items did not actually download but they are listed because they are part of my account. Checking the list again, it also includes items I archived last night (such as games I sucked at :smileywink:). In that case, that would explain the missing Archive button. :smileyvery-happy:

Wordsmith
Critteranne
0 Kudos

apetit wrote:

How is this a DRM issue?  I ask because the implication is that you are only allowed to have a "set" number of licensed books available to read - which does not make sense (even in the almost nonsensical world of DRM).

I can believe that it is an issue of storage space on the device.  When the storage allocated for downloaded B&N content is full this kind of error occurs.  Has the OP tried downloading content and sideloading it to the SD card?

I was able to download some of the archived books and then add them to Calibre and sideload them onto the new card. I didn't do it will all of them because I didn't have all night. :smileywink:

Now to start sideloading my multiformat Fictionwise books, and even more importantly, my Baen Books. Wooooot! Here come the Exploding Spaceships! :robottongue:

Wordsmith
Critteranne
0 Kudos

Just to clarify, I was able to open the sideloaded B&N books on the N2E as well. :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Correspondent
naylorchic

You should be able to go to your nook library on your computer thru bn.com and archive(or delete) the enhanced books there. That's what I did. I didn't want to delete them in case I ever get a nook color for my kids.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

Since B&N insisted on making a new device with only a fraction of the space of the NC, they really need to find a way to make it possible to choose which device to archive content on.  As time goes on, I think the numbers of people owning both are only going to continue to grow.

naylorchic
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

Since B&N insisted on making a new device with only a fraction of the space of the NC, they really need to find a way to make it possible to choose which device to archive content on.  As time goes on, I think the numbers of people owning both are only going to continue to grow.

I hadn't thought of that. Do you know if you can sideload enhanced books on NC? That way I could just make a new account for the NC (if we get one) and sideload them. It may give me a new copy of them if I make a new account anyway, but I was just curious.

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

apetit wrote:

How is this a DRM issue?

It is a digital rights issue because you would be able to copy and distribute the material.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

naylorchic wrote:

Nallia wrote:

I hadn't thought of that. Do you know if you can sideload enhanced books on NC? That way I could just make a new account for the NC (if we get one) and sideload them. It may give me a new copy of them if I make a new account anyway, but I was just curious.

naylorchic wrote:

Nallia wrote:

No, you can't, unfortunately.  Downloads of content to your computer that only works on the NC are not allowed through your B&N account online or through the NOOK for PC app.  And the new NCs have the same type of partition issue that the N2Es have.  You can't see the content on them to copy it to your computer.

naylorchic
0 Kudos

They def should fix that then. That way if/when I get a NC (or two) I can decide which books show up on which device.  

Inspired Correspondent
apetit
0 Kudos

Big_Dave_H wrote:

apetit wrote:

How is this a DRM issue?

It is a digital rights issue because you would be able to copy and distribute the material.

I must be missing something because I still do not understand:  As it is now, I can download DRM managed content to my computer and place it on any number of Nooks or Nook reader devices that I own as long as I have provided that device with the key to unlock it.  Should I wish to give the key away with a copy of the material I can do so, albeit I will be in violation of the license agreement.

DRM does not prevent you from doing something, it just makes it more difficult and involved.  This is part of why e-books are so expensive.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

[ Edited ]

Big_Dave_H wrote:

apetit wrote:

How is this a DRM issue?

This is incorrect.  DRM prevents the user from opening/reading a file, not from copying and/or distributing it.  I can download a .epub file from my nook library (or copy it directly from the download folder on my N1E) and copy and distribute it to my heart's content, but unless I give out my credit card number, no one that I give the file to will be able to open it.

The inability to copy the downloaded files from the device is a new issue that came with the NC and N2E.  They've put the downloaded files on a separate partition that you can only access if you root your device.  While there is a lot of speculation as to why they did this, we don't actually know the reason for the change.  You can still copy downloaded files directly from the N1E.