Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
ynot22

Re: New Nook doesn't make muster

AlanNJ wrote:

If you don't understand what you're talking about don't get involved.  

Are you the owner of this board?

If not, please don't tell me what to do or not to do.

It's rude of you.

Not unexpected.

But still rude.

***Without order there is chaos.
Without some degree of chaos there will be no change in the established order.
Sometimes change is necessary, but only if I say it is.***
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518

[ Edited ]

ynot22 wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

It's rude of you.

Not unexpected.

But still rude.

Are you?  You obviously have no qualms about attacking me about my "rudeness".  You've done it before and you're doing it again.

I'm done with you now.  You're not worth my time.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Wordsmith
gandalf1369

AlanNJ wrote:

Are you?  You obviously have no qualms about attacking me about my "rudeness".  You've done it before and you're doing it again.

@AlanNJ, frankly, he's (ynot22) not worth any of our time . . . . All he does is complain over and over again and never has anything worthwhile to say.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Frequent Contributor
TLHsc

I have spent cosiderable time on the color board, and now am following the regular nook board for information.  I have found many useful comments on both boards.  BUT, I have also found MANY personal comments attacking individuals.  I think all people can express an opinion, but why attack someone for for their opinion?  Disagreement is fine, but attack???  The boards seem to be from the beginning of the internet---yes I'm old as dirt--with teenage personal comments.  WTF--GROW UP! Feel free to attack me--obviously no one can express an opinion without personal comments.

TOTALLY PISSED OFF!!!!!!!

Yes I know---with capitalization is yelling---I've been around "boards" for a long time.

Inspired Correspondent
ynot22

[ Edited ]

AlanNJ wrote:

ynot22 wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

It's rude of you.

Not unexpected.

But still rude.

Oh please.

Commenting on your rudeness doesn't come anywhere near an "attack."

It's much more of an observation.

So please, dispense with the "attack" nonsense/drama. (Notice I'm not telling you to dispense with it. I'm asking you to).

And I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has noticed your proclivity for bullying others here.

I think others put up with it because they don't want to incur your verbal wrath.

It's wise of you to back away though. I, for one, won't accept your rudeness.

Reader 4
imabuddha

I tried out the demo unit in the store yesterday & I was really impressed! But then I read this thread… Now that I know the new Nook doesn't make mustard I think it's not worth buying. I mean, what if I want to eat a hotdog? Hopefully B&N adds mustard, ketchup, and other condiments to their ereaders before Amazon does. ;-]
Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

imabuddha wrote:
I tried out the demo unit in the store yesterday & I was really impressed! But then I read this thread… Now that I know the new Nook doesn't make mustard I think it's not worth buying. I mean, what if I want to eat a hotdog? Hopefully B&N adds mustard, ketchup, and other condiments to their ereaders before Amazon does. ;-]

:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

AndyfromVA

ynot22 wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

ynot22 wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

It's rude of you.

Not unexpected.

But still rude.

Oh please.

Commenting on your rudeness doesn't come anywhere near an "attack."

It's much more of an observation.

So please, dispense with the "attack" nonsense/drama. (Notice I'm not telling you to dispense with it. I'm asking you to).

And I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has noticed your proclivity for bullying others here.

I think others put up with it because they don't want to incur your verbal wrath.

It's wise of you to back away though. I, for one, won't accept your rudeness.

I really shouldn't comment but I think posturing and threatening on message boards is so childish.

Inspired Correspondent
ynot22

[ Edited ]

TLHsc wrote:

I have spent cosiderable time on the color board, and now am following the regular nook board for information.  I have found many useful comments on both boards.  BUT, I have also found MANY personal comments attacking individuals.  I think all people can express an opinion, but why attack someone for for their opinion?  Disagreement is fine, but attack???  The boards seem to be from the beginning of the internet---yes I'm old as dirt--with teenage personal comments.  WTF--GROW UP! Feel free to attack me--obviously no one can express an opinion without personal comments.

TOTALLY PISSED OFF!!!!!!!

Yes I know---with capitalization is yelling---I've been around "boards" for a long time.

I agree. I have gone overboard here a couple of times. But RSC? set me straight in a nice way and I have dialed it way back.

But I don't care for a new member gettng dumped on for expressing his disappointment with the new Nook.

I have noticed that it's always members whose posts number in the hundreds, if not thousands, who treat other, newer members with insulting disdain.

It's almost as if,  the unspoken theme is "Sorry pal, you haven't been here long enough to express a negative opinion about any Nook product.or B&N in general."

There is a clique here that seems to enjoy bashing the newer members. I noticed it immediately after joining.

I believe there is a certain amount of kowtowing to the "old hands" that is required to even be considered for membership in the "club."

No thanks. No club for me.

I will continue to speak my mind, just as I did in defense of the new member who is unhappy with his Nook and was getting a lot of static for saying so.

Arestelle
0 Kudos

imabuddha wrote:

Ok, I wouldn't mind if Sam decides to lock this thread, because it's getting kind of ridiculous. But she better not delete it, because this is an AWESOME post. :smileyhappy:

Also, don't forget the relish!

"One day a tortoise will learn how to fly."--Pratchett, Small Gods

Reading: The Demon-Haunted World
Last book read: Leon Martin and the Fantasy Girl (as a test reader--not yet published)
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

[ Edited ]

It's all about the manner and attitude of original posts, as well with the OP it is about trying to ram this down our throats.  As has been said, the OP posted 5 threads on the same subjects, as well as posted in other threads about the same thing.  This is a board for people that do read, so it wasn't necessary to create multiple threads.  The OP also has indicated he/she is taking it back so it is a moot point anyway.  He/she will not be able to read pdfs on a nook, because he/she will not own one.

The topic has been addressed here and in the many other threads.  It is pointless to explain wishes and desires and what could be in this one.  It's also ridiculous to make assertions here that are inaccurate at best.  Others have tried to answer reasonably, but it doesn't matter.  The OP just wants now to complain about it and so, even if there's some justification, it becomes irritating to read.  Maybe what we need is another thread, because we didn't understand it before.  Oh, another thread and many posts in a row that say that pdf support isn't very good, but say it in different ways just so we understand.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Correspondent
ynot22

[ Edited ]

I didn't see the multiple thread he started, some of them almost verbatim of the others.

Had I seen them I may have reacted differently but still, I have grown weary of the rude disrespect some members inflict upon others.

I would maintain that the same people who angrily replied to his threads that covered the same well worn trail he blazed initially did so because they enjoy it.

I mean why bother to reply at all if the material has been covered previoulsy?

I think some people enjoy getting angry at other members and, one way or another, taking them to task.

This type of behavior serves no purpose other than to bring pleasure to some members who get a kick out of castigating other members.

Frequent Contributor
JEB63

Looks like a lot of folks with thin skins here get really steamed when I point out obvious issues with their pet device.

Look, I can open a Word .doc file using Notepad and actually read the text, but much of the document will be gibberish.  Does than mean Notepad supports Word files?  No.  And it would be wrong to advertise it as doing so. 

The new Nook, like its predecessors, says it supports PDF files.  However, it is quite clear that it only has some very basic PDF support.  Therefore, it is misleading for B&N to promote it for reading PDFs without making that known.

By people's own admission, B&N had been made aware of these problems associated with PDFs long ago.  So I guess I was kind of silly to expect that they might have fixed these issues in their latest release of the Nook.  So be it. 

If my posting these short comings, which it appears a lot of sheep here just roll over and accept, bothers some folks, well that's too bad.  Attacking me is not going to disprove what I wrote.

Arestelle

JEB, the point is not how anyone here feels about the N2E being criticized. The very same people who are criticizing your manner are posting issues and suggestions for improving the device. The point is that the way you keep repeating the same thing over and over and over again does not make your point any clearer or better heard. It just makes you look like a troll.

You've made your point. Panning & zooming of pdfs is on the wishlist for an update. Let it rest.

Last book read: Leon Martin and the Fantasy Girl (as a test reader--not yet published)
Frequent Contributor
JEB63

You apparently have not read some of the posts.  There have been a couple people incorrectly accusing me of expecting the Nook to do something it it is not advertised to do.  I am expecting the Nook to do something it IS advertised to do.  There are people saying "It's not a flaw in the Nook" when it clearly IS a flaw in the Nook.

I gave several ways in which to improve the device (see issues with MAC address) before this post where I decided that the problem with the file names and with the PDF support were deal breakers for me. 

And I don't really care about panning and zooming, though those would be nice.  What I want is for all the data which is supposed to be in a table to actually show up in the table instead of getting a bunch of jumbled data and then a blank table.  I want the text inside a drawing to actually show up IN the drawing, not a page before the drawing.

The issues with PDFs have been made known to B&N for 2 years and they still have not fixed it and yet they still tout the Nook as being a PDF reader without any caveats or qualifications. 

Once again, getting bent out of shape at me for what I posted or how many times I posted it is not disproving me and is not improving the product. 

And I did let it rest for several hours.  When I came back, people, many the same posters as before I took a break, were STILL squabbling and complaining about what I said.  They can call 1-800-555-WHAA if I hurt their itty bitty feelings.  Of course the upside is it keeps pushing this issue to the top of the pile where more and more people will see that there are these two major problems -- and that is fine by me.

Arestelle

JEB, I did read the posts. You've repeated yourself again, unnecessarily (again).

The Nook does open and view pdfs - so it does support them, and calling B&N liars or implying that they are makes your comments appear tactless and hyperbolic (name-calling doesn't help with that, either). The Nook doesn't view pdfs as well as you want it to. That's unfortunate, and hopefully B&N will improve the software for pdf reading; but it's not unpredictable given the very small screen size compared to screens on which the pdfs were created and pdfs' typical "paper size".

The ability to pan and zoom would allow for loading pdfs at their original size (but zoomed out) so that they do not have to be re-flowed. This could solve the problem with tables, as the problem is that the software is trying to re-flow something that is specifically designed to not re-flow.

Frequent Contributor
JEB63
0 Kudos

For the most part you've repeated yourself again, unnecessarily (again).

"The Nook does open and view pdfs - so it does support them,"

Like I said, Notepad will open and view Word .doc files too, but that does not mean it actually "supports" them. 

"calling B&N liars or implying that they are makes your comments appear tactless and hyperbolic"

Does the Nook display tables and drawings in PDFs correctly or not?  Have they or have they not known about this issue for more than 2 years?  Are they or are they not advertising that the Nook reads PDFs without any noted exceptions? 

" The Nook doesn't view pdfs as well as you want it to."

Have you ever looked at a table in a PDF on a Nook?  It isn't that it doesn't display as well as I want, it is that it doesn't display it in any usable fashion. 

" hopefully B&N will improve the software for pdf reading; "

They haven't done squat about it in over two years, have they?  Still the same issues as with the original Nook.  I had hoped that the new platform would have addressed this, but it did not.  And with everyone telling me to shut up and color, it is no wonder it hasn't been fixed -- no one is raising hell about it, they are are just "well maybe they'll fix it in the future, but it doesn't really affect me and everyone who does complain about it are just a bunch of whiners trying to get the Nook to do something other than what it was advertised to do". 

So if I make my grievences known, repeatedly, it might just be that I am not one of the meek sheep who just keeps waiting for tomorrow to come.  I write to people, I complain, I call people, I send letters to editors, I write critical reviews, and I get things fixed.  Its the old "you can be part of the problem or you can be part of the solution" thing and if by being the squeaky wheel, I get something accomplished, great.  If I rub a bunch of people the wrong way while doing it, oh well.  Especially when B&N has had two years to fix the problem. 

But hey, B&N seems to have been pretty successful so far in pulling the wool over people's eyes with a product which is really not much more than just a stripped down Nook 1 WiFi. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

[ Edited ]

@JEB63, No, the fact that you need to repeatedly make the same statements over and over again doesn't make you some meek sheep, it makes you seem a raging bull. In a couple different threads you copy and pasted the very same extremely long list of what you felt was wrong with the N2, and then you also made repeated replies to your own posts talking about pdfs. Over and over again. No one would call you meek, nor would they call you a sheep, because that implies you follow the pack, but no one else does this. Then, you said you are returning the nook. So, what exactly is your point now? Sure, you have the "right" to post, but is there a reason, beyond seeing your name in lights? Most of us don't have the MAC issue, but even that has been addressed with a solution, by Nallia, but here you go again.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
AndyfromVA

JEB63 wrote

But hey, B&N seems to have been pretty successful so far in pulling the wool over people's eyes with a product which is really not much more than just a stripped down Nook 1 WiFi. 

That is such a load of bull.  You have just destroyed any credibility you had (what little of it there was in the first place).

SlaughterS

[ Edited ]

bklvr896 wrote:

...Two, he didn't get screwed, it supports pdf, it just doesn't display all pdfs as well as one would like.  And it goes back to the pdf itself.  If the publisher sets the pdf to be fixed page and fixed line, then there's very little to ereader can do to modify that, except for all allow a pan/zoom feature...

Re-posting the above because it seems everyone keeps ignoring this basic point

(Cr@p - I just fed the troll)

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....