Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
techiegirl
0 Kudos

Night Light for Nook 2?

I'm trying to switch from a Kindle 3 with the built in leather light case to the new Nook.  I really like the new Nook but I read a lot in bed at night and miss the built in light.  I've used several clip on lights (2 different mighty brights, and the nook 1 light) but they seem to slip off, unless I clip it right in the middle.  If I clip it right in the middle, the clip hits the power button and shuts the nook off. 

Have you find a clip on light that works?  I wouldn't even mind if it's a case with built in light, like the Kindle 3 has. 

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

Re: Night Light for Nook 2?

medge had a series of reallu nice cases and compatible lights that slipped into the cases for the original nook.  eventually they may come out with the same for the new nook, you may want to monitor best buy and see - maybe wait a few more weeks to see if they come out with something.  my wife has one of the cases and matching lights and loves them

Correspondent
lindajm22
0 Kudos

I just bought a N2E the other day at a B&N store and at the same time I also bought a Verso Rechargeable Wrap Light.  It's a bit pricier than a typical reading light, but it's rechargeable with a mini usb cord so no more batteries.  I clip it on the top to the side of the power button (either side works) so it doesn't interfere with the power button, but I have also clipped it to the side towards the top.  You can position the light in so many different places.  The graphite color almost matches the color of the N2E exactly.  Looks really sleek.  It comes with two different sized cuffs for attaching.  Fits like a glove on the N2E.  You cannot shake this thing off, but it comes off easily when you want it to and doesn't make a mark on the reader.  The light itself is nice and bright and lights up the entire screen evenly without any shadows.  It is made especially for ereaders too.  Highly recommended.

Correspondent
yarnmama
0 Kudos

I just received a Kandle II today and from a brief try on this afternoon it looks like a good fit. I haven't used it in the dark yet, but I'll update you on that after I have given it a bit more use. I have a Mighty Bright which is great for my N1E with an Oberon cover but It's unwieldy on the N2E, I agree.

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

Frequent Contributor
techiegirl
0 Kudos

I bought the Verso rechargeable wrap light at the store last night.  It looked real good and fit the N2E perfectly. 

Correspondent
yarnmama
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

yarnmama wrote:

I just received a Kandle II today and from a brief try on this afternoon it looks like a good fit. I haven't used it in the dark yet, but I'll update you on that after I have given it a bit more use. I have a Mighty Bright which is great for my N1E with an Oberon cover but It's unwieldy on the N2E, I agree.

Updated to report that after using it last night in the dark, it is indeed a great little light for this reader. It stays in place much better and is light and compact. The light does fade a bit towards the bottom, but I found it was fine, especially on the bright setting. I can definitely recommend this for the N2E.

Inspired Contributor
incognito88
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi techiegirl,

I'm new here so I thought it would be nice to do something useful with my first post.

I found a "book light" inadvertently while fishing with a friend. It was dark and I was searching for something in my tacklebox and my friend loaned me his headlamp.

I had been searching for a good reading light and, man, did I find one.

It uses 2 LED lights and has two settings, a wide (flood) light which is perfect for reading as well as a "spotlight," which narrows and intensifies the beam somewhat.

It takes 3 commonly found and inexpensive AAA batteries and has both high and low power settings. The manufacturer says on the low setting (which is plenty bright for reading in the dark) batteries last 190 hours!

My friend put his batteries in over two years ago and the light is still working fine.

It is small, lightweight and comes with an adjustable headband that is very comfortable.

Lastly, while wearing it you can tilt and adjust the light to point the light where you want it to go.

I think I've done a ghastly job describing it so here is a link that has 40 something reviews on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Petzl-E91-PE-Headlamp-Electric/product-reviews/B0027GVIOW/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr...

Most are 5 stars out of 5 stars with a smattering of 4 out of 5 ratings.

I borrowed it that night and took it home to test it for a reading light. I bought one in a hurry. It's a fantastic reading light though it was not designed as such.

I've been through 3 other lights, too much light, too little light, didn't like the clip on it as it was too loose and moved around etc. etc.

This one is perfect for reading.

Oh yeah, no need to buy a cover for your Nook so you can attach a light. No need. It's on that headband.

To me, it's the perfect light for reading in bed. Never thought I'd find one. They all seem to have at least one flaw, except this one!

Frequent Contributor
kayokat
0 Kudos

If you wear reading glasses, I saw a pair at Walgreen's that had lights built into the temples.  I tried them on and turned on the lights and, wow, they actually work. 

Just another option.

Frequent Contributor
swok34
0 Kudos

I lost my electricity one night this week for 7 or 8 hours. Since I haven't found a light I like for my new touch, I used a headband headlight.  I don't need a light very often, but that little gadget came in handy.

New User
Dave424
0 Kudos

Thanks for that suggestion.  I went to Amazon and read the reviews and bought one.  I hope the batteries last a long time for reading as you mentioned.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

swok34 wrote:

I lost my electricity one night this week for 7 or 8 hours. Since I haven't found a light I like for my new touch, I used a headband headlight.  I don't need a light very often, but that little gadget came in handy.

I got one of these years ago and use it all the time for all kinds of random applications - reading at night, putting the top on my jeep in the dark, when the power goes out to find candles, anything where I need two hands and a light.  It's one of the best purchases I've made. :smileyhappy: