Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
nook_rook
0 Kudos

No Warranty Extension for Refurbished nook

I was one of the lucky ones who went without a cracked bezel from Jan to Oct (9 months). I just got my replacement/refurbished nook today. Much to my disappointment, the replacement has the older, not newer bezel (following the boards closely). 

• Grey Back
  • 2 Prongs
  • Hex Screws
  • Yellow Sim Card
  • No recycle symbol inside the back cover

Therefore, when I called to make sure the refurbished one would carry a 1 year warranty, because it is clearly going to crack, the CS told me that no, the warranty remains with my original purchase date and only has 3 months left.

I am not much of a complainer, but now if/when the refurbished older bezel cracks after the warranty expires, I am stuck with a clearly defective product. BN should not be sending out refurbished models with the defective bezel.

Has anyone else checked on their warranty status after receiving a refurbished replacement?

Thanks

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Re: No Warranty Extension for Refurbished nook

Yeah its the longer of 90 days or the balance or your existing warranty which ever is longer. Something like that without looking it up. A pretty standard clause in all warranties.

Since B&N has implicitly agreed the bezel cracks were a product defect, because there is no refurb sticker on the unit, there are indications this is an older unit (firmware version is sufficient), I would call back and ask them to confirm that defect has been corrected on the unit you received.

Most of the indicators you posted are indications to me of a different production lot and not necessarily an indication of a redesigned front bezel The two prong part I am not sure of. I have looked at the pictures posted here and can't tell what I am looking at the image is so small.

Contributor
AzGranni
0 Kudos

When I called to have my 2nd replacement replaced I mentioned maybe my refurbished one didn't actually get refurbished, and the support guy told me they did not send out refurbished Nooks....I am pretty sure my second one was refurbished, because it came in a cardboard box wrapped in plastic wrap.....don't know if it was because I mentioned it, but my third one came boxed like my first one did...and so far no problems and it has been some months since I received my third one.

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

They will not send out a defective refurb, if you read the boards closely you will see Michael has said that numerous times.

New Nooks are packaged in cardboard boxes, not the ridiculously insane plastic ones that were meant to maim and kill us! If that is what you meant by the packaging. 

Contributor
AzGranni
0 Kudos

I don't read everything on this board so may have missed what was said earlier. My 3 one was new and was sent in the plastic PITA box...and was upgraded to the latest upgrade. The second one was not upgraded. I think they finally sent me a good one...no cracks so far :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@All,

Please be assured that a NOOK that has been replaced was replaced with a fully functional device. It has received a thorough inspection, testing, and cleaning by our dedicated NOOK service team.

Contributor
sassychassy8503
0 Kudos

VERY disappointed in this also... My first nook bought in December '09 had a cracked right page turner (as many of them did), so I got a new one sent to me not even worrying about the warranty because this happened a month after I bought the original. I now have 1 month left on my manufacturer's warranty and my Nook just died.. the customer service team at the local Barnes and Noble or the reps at the 1800 help number had no idea why. I had used it for a few hours, then went out for dinner with friends and came back home and it wouldnt do anything at all. So I sent it back adn am now on my 3rd Nook within a year. I asked about the 1 year manufacturers warranty on my replacement nook and they told me that I couldnt have it because it carries over from when I bought the original nook and I had to buy the extended warranty within 30 days of original purchase. So I now have only 1 month of coverage for my nook. Going through 3 different units all within a year is completely unacceptable and refusing to extend warranties is just bad customer service.

Inspired Contributor
Paginate
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Actually if you read the fine print on the warranty it says that you now have 90 days left on your warranty.  If you have less than 90 days left on the warranty when you get a replacement, they automatically bump the warranty up to 90 days.  So you can feel relatively confident that you won't receive a lemon.