Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

No(true)NOOK 2.

[ Edited ]

Heh heh. Like I said all along no NOOK 2. At least not e-ink just LCD. This should be good news for people who just bought the original NOOK. Finally though the rumors that a NOOK 2 before the holidays can be put to rest. Maybe next year they will have a true e-ink successor to the original nook. But not this year. The cool thing is the original Nook will probably fall a little in price this holiday season.

Correspondent
Angela2932ND

Re: No true NOOK 2.

And when a color mirasol display, a Nook 3, comes to be available, I'll be able to justify trading in my Nook for that model! Because I'll have skipped a "generation", I'll feel positively saintly for having waited!

flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,855
0 Kudos

NOOKcolor isn't designed to replace the classic NOOK. It's an additional piece of hardware for people with different needs.

Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

FLYINGTOASTR: Yes I know its not replacing the NOOK. Hence my title. Many were hoping it would. I and many others knew better. The NookColor is not a NOOK2. Again it should be good news for original Nook owners. Means their e-ink Nooks will still be relevant for a time.

Frequent Contributor
asgalbraith

I am totally on board for a full color e-ink screen, like what Mirasol describes. I am saving my money for it!  I am not interested in any of the backlit versions, I can't read for long on those without headaches, eyestrain and losing focus.

Correspondent
love_my_karma
0 Kudos

Angela2932ND wrote:

And when a color mirasol display, a Nook 3, comes to be available, I'll be able to justify trading in my Nook for that model! Because I'll have skipped a "generation", I'll feel positively saintly for having waited!

Amen!

She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (1873)
~ Louisa May Alcott ~
Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

NOOKcolor isn't designed to replace the classic NOOK. It's an additional piece of hardware for people with different needs.

*sigh*

I am already coveting this, I love my nook but something about this one screams BUY ME!!!

Do they have any demo's in store yet? Cause ya know, it's already 30 minutes old!

Inspired Correspondent
Technologirl
0 Kudos

Kindle Killer.

Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard

The Mirasol display is NOT an eInk display. Sorry to be a nanny on this one, but this misinformation is getting kind of old. Mirasol is a brand new display technology, and has no relation to eInk or LCD. If it delivers, this new technology gives you the best of both worlds. It's reflective, so you have no issues with glare and eye strain, and can read in any lighting appropriate for reading (i.e. not in the dark). It's got a refresh rate that allows for full motion video and displays in full color. Great for reading, great for watching videos, great for browsing the web, great for playing games, etc. Best of both worlds.

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/wekempf
Correspondent
token787
0 Kudos

Jenniisme wrote:

flyingtoastr wrote:

*sigh*

I am already coveting this, I love my nook but something about this one screams BUY ME!!!

Do they have any demo's in store yet? Cause ya know, it's already 30 minutes old!

I agree, I may call the store to see if they have any in but I seriously doubt it for now.

Inspired Correspondent
SuperC142
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

sirwillard wrote:

The Mirasol display is NOT an eInk display. Sorry to be a nanny on this one, but this misinformation is getting kind of old. Mirasol is a brand new display technology, and has no relation to eInk or LCD. If it delivers, this new technology gives you the best of both worlds. It's reflective, so you have no issues with glare and eye strain, and can read in any lighting appropriate for reading (i.e. not in the dark). It's got a refresh rate that allows for full motion video and displays in full color. Great for reading, great for watching videos, great for browsing the web, great for playing games, etc. Best of both worlds.

Hi sirwillard.  Are you saying the NOOKcolor display is a Mirasol display?  Everything I've read so far says it's an IPS (glorified LCD) display, no?

flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,855

Nook Color is an LCD screen. A very nice LCD screen, but it will still have the same disadvantages when compared to an epaper.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

flyingtoastr wrote:

Nook Color is an LCD screen. A very nice LCD screen, but it will still have the same disadvantages when compared to an epaper.

Exactly.

Its the same technology as the iPad.

The ipad is unreadable in sunlight.  Even this guy sitting under an umbrella documents that the ipod is  unreadable in bright locations.

Here is a demo in sunlight comparing iPad with Pixel Qi, a competitor to Mirasol.

So I'm not expecting the Nook Color to be great for back porch reading.

In fact, I'm struck by just how dark the presentation room was.  See the Gismodo Videos of the Color Nook in action.  

Its slick. Its fast. But its not your beach reader.  It might be your bed time reader.

We now have somewhere to send the backlight complainers.  

Frequent Contributor
want2know

This is no Nook or KIindle killer. 

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528

I'm glad it is what it is.  I've had my nook since March of this year.  I paid $259 for it.  I'm not ready to replace it.  This is a completely different product and one that I'm not the last bit interested in at the moment.  My original old-fashioned nook (how strange sounding is that?) will do just fine for me for a while yet.

►Without order there is chaos◄
B&N Bookseller
miffy1157
0 Kudos

no demos in stores til mid november

- Caitlin
Frequent Contributor
JustTrish
0 Kudos

Technologirl wrote:

Kindle Killer.

Hardly. 

There's more to "killing" than a flashy piece of equipment.  Most of us already have all the "added" features that nookcolor adds on our phones, so why buy it?  I don't need to stream Pandora through my eReader when I'm already streaming it through my car, my phone, my computer and my BluRay player.

With the screen being backlit, the battery isn't likely to last long, and the screen is also not large enough to truly enjoy magazines.  The iPad would be better for that.

Correspondent
token787
0 Kudos

I have finally watched the video of Nook Color on Engadget.com and it looks really nice.

Inspired Correspondent
Technologirl
0 Kudos

JustTrish wrote:

Technologirl wrote:

Kindle Killer.

Hardly. 

There's more to "killing" than a flashy piece of equipment.  Most of us already have all the "added" features that nookcolor adds on our phones, so why buy it?  I don't need to stream Pandora through my eReader when I'm already streaming it through my car, my phone, my computer and my BluRay player.

With the screen being backlit, the battery isn't likely to last long, and the screen is also not large enough to truly enjoy magazines.  The iPad would be better for that.

Really? Explain Ipad vs netbooks. Most netbooks have much more computing power and will run a TON more programs than an Ipad. Netbooks are more capable in every way. Yet Ipad has demolished the netbook market.

Flashy shiny toys for ADD yuppies are demolishing markets left and right. Iphones demolished Windows phones and the latest shiny toys are demolishing Iphone's market.

These toys are like crack.

This will quickly eat into the Kindle market. Why. Because no one wants to buy something perceived as "old technology." Whether it is better or not, the Nookcolor will eat up market that would have gone to Nook wifi and Kindle Wifi.

It WILL be good for the Ebook market, but it's going to cut into the markets of everything else.

New User
GregFromCos
0 Kudos

Re: No(true)NOOK 2.

B&N is making a huge mistake marketing this as a reader. It's not, its a tablet.

Whoever thought people would buy a "reader" at a price point similar to an iPad is just an idiot.

I've been holding off for several months planning to buy the new "rumored" nook. This is not a nook. Its a new tablet. And as such it should have been renamed.

An LCD takes it out of the eReader genre of devices.

B&N continuously fails to make multiple good corporate decisions in a row. We're seeing that yet again with this silly device. Amazon must be laughing hysterically, knowing that B&N spent the last year coming up with an LCD reader. When they should have been working on a touch screen reader.

I've been holding off waiting for this new device. Now I'm not sure what I'll do. Not a fan of the kindle, but maybe I'll just have to look somewhere else.