Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Dizkneefan
0 Kudos

Nook 1st Edition 1.7 Issue

Well, 1.7 autmoatically downloaded and now whenvever I purchase a B&N book (so far 3 to the tune of $15.00) they won't open on my Nook. They just sit in my library and won't open.  Library, previously purchased BN books and other epub books open, but not B&N purchased since the download.  I called customer service and jumped thru hoops with them and as usual they had no idea why it was happening and could not help me.  Guess I won't be buying B&N books anymore ... Kobo and library here I come along with Kindle on my ipad2. B&N's loss I guess, but they don't care.       

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

Re: Nook 1st Edition 1.7 Issue

Ok, so like, good bye.

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

Have you tried taking into a B&N store? I know that has become my stock response to any trouble with a Nook but it is because I feel like I have had much better luck in store than on the telephone. In person they can actually see what the problem is and the response to suggested fixes.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Dizkneefan wrote:

Kobo and library here I come along with Kindle on my ipad2.

I love Kobo and probably buy more books there than from B&N, but I have to admit their customer support is at least as clueless as B&N's, and a lot slower.  :smileysad:

Reader 2
Ophelia1
0 Kudos

I have had the same problem with my nook.  I had to archive my purchases, unarchive them and re download them.  Four purchases took 2 hours to download!  My husband has an ipad with the kindle app and downloaded 4 large books within five minutes.  I did not have this problem before the 1.7 download.  I LOVE my nook and would hate to have to go to the kindle--I like the e ink reader so much better.  Hopefully there will be a fix for this soon!

keriflur
0 Kudos

Ophelia1 wrote:

I have had the same problem with my nook.  I had to archive my purchases, unarchive them and re download them.  Four purchases took 2 hours to download!  My husband has an ipad with the kindle app and downloaded 4 large books within five minutes.  I did not have this problem before the 1.7 download.  I LOVE my nook and would hate to have to go to the kindle--I like the e ink reader so much better.  Hopefully there will be a fix for this soon!

You might want to take your nook into a store to see if they can help you out.

Reader
jhawkjjm
0 Kudos

We are having similar issues with the 1.7 update.  My wife purchased a few books and they will not open on the nook.  We get a message saying "Opening Your Book" and then it returns to the library screen.  She can read them on the computer but not through the Nook.

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be helpful.  Thanks.

keriflur
0 Kudos

jhawkjjm wrote:

We are having similar issues with the 1.7 update.  My wife purchased a few books and they will not open on the nook.  We get a message saying "Opening Your Book" and then it returns to the library screen.  She can read them on the computer but not through the Nook.

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be helpful.  Thanks.

Has anyone having this issue sent a PM to Sam (the community manager)?  That might be a good next step.

Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

HAve been to your local B&N store?  They may be able to solve this situation. 

Lector GS
Contributor
Dizkneefan
0 Kudos

I did manage to open the books by side loading them and opening them in My Documents instead of BN library. Will be going to BN store on Thurs to discuss with them. So glad to hear I am not alone with this issue. This update has been a mess!
Distinguished Correspondent
SLevine
0 Kudos

Hi all- for those of you who are experiencing difficulties opening Nook books after the 1.7 update, please PM me with details (inclu. your email, device serial number, and book titles). Thanks! -Sam

Frequent Contributor
twlight73
0 Kudos

stupid question coming..but....how do u PM someone??? :smileyhappy:

Lose yourself in a good book :smileywink:
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

Click on their name and then look on the right side of the screen.  You'll see a link to send a private message there.  :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
twlight73
0 Kudos

Thanks !!!!:smileywink:

Lose yourself in a good book :smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
BookBridget
0 Kudos

I had the same problem so I turned my nook off & then on again and went to new B&N content. That did the trick.

Frequent Contributor
sf_az
0 Kudos

I had the same problem.  I achieved the book on the nook then unachieved it and it was fine.  I tried first to archive it through barnesandnoble.com and it didn't work.  I had to do it through the nook itself.

Frequent Contributor
JediFarfy
0 Kudos

Hmm, that means they changed something bigger in the software between 1.5 and 1.7. I updated a 1.2 to 1.5 a couple of months ago and everything had to be redownloaded. Interesting.

Like everyone said, archive and redownload. The more downloading at the same time, the slower it'll go. Also, if you have multiple devices on the same wifi, that could slow it down too.