Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Nook 2 firmware update: when?

AlanNJ wrote:

Can't find the original article from the link any more.  Just wondering if this "spokesman" had a name.  Anonymous is known for their unreliability.

Here's the original article, archived at Mossman's site:

http://allthingsd.com/20110628/judging-e-readers-by-their-book-readability/

No name for the spokesperson.  I assume the person that made the statement works in PR and not on the nook development team, and thus probably had no real idea what the status of the fix was.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

Can't find the original article from the link any more.  Just wondering if this "spokesman" had a name.  Anonymous is known for their unreliability.

Here's the original article, archived at Mossman's site:

http://allthingsd.com/20110628/judging-e-readers-by-their-book-readability/

No name for the spokesperson.  I assume the person that made the statement works in PR and not on the nook development team, and thus probably had no real idea what the status of the fix was.

Thanks Keriflur.

I have to say that the one line from the "spokesperson" was one of the flimsiest things I've ever read for someone to assume a specific update date to happen from.  It had no attribution and wasn't even a direct quote. 

►Without order there is chaos◄
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
0 Kudos

nlstein wrote:

Gee, I guess the B&N "spokesman" that told WSJ that there would be some sort of update in the next two week (when ever that is?) was wrong - of the reporter got it wrong. In either case - OMG it didn't happen yet. The sky is falling!

Way to blow things out of proportion.  Good job!

Distinguished Correspondent
nlstein
0 Kudos

Sorry. Just tired of people complaining that updates aren't coming when they "want" them instead of when B & N is ready. People need to be patient and learn that when B & N announces an update officially, then it's ready - and not before. Complaining gets you nothing. Asking when it will be ready will also get you nothing.

Patience people -  patience! 

When someone calls someone else a liar without any proof or real research it's irresponsible.

MacBoy
Frequent Contributor
mettleh3d
0 Kudos

nlstein wrote:

When someone calls someone else a liar without any proof or real research it's irresponsible.

The WSJ article interview with a B&N spokesperson claims an update that will repair the touch screen issue will be rolling out within the next two weeks. This not a solid, concrete reference?

In any business, you had better watch your promises documented, otherwise stick to "will be rolling out as soon as possible."

Stop sticking up for B&N when you're being shafted as well...

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

mettleh3d wrote:

nlstein wrote:

The WSJ article interview with a B&N spokesperson claims an update that will repair the touch screen issue will be rolling out within the next two weeks. This not a solid, concrete reference?

In any business, you had better watch your promises documented, otherwise stick to "will be rolling out as soon as possible."

Stop sticking up for B&N when you're being shafted as well...

Updates happen when they happen.  They may have intended to release it, then found something that would preclude releasing it within the two week time frame, happens all the time in the computer/electronics world.  But here's an idea, since you want it with the stated time frame, perhaps BN will push it to your device regardless of its current status and you can test it for the everyone else.

Frequent Contributor
mettleh3d
0 Kudos

Agreed that they happen when they happen; however, they should not publicly announce something so concrete and not deliver. It's a simple principle.  B&N already pulled this shenanigan with the Black Lewis Cover/Neoprene sleeve that I wanted and so I went elsewhere with my money that time.  It's a small example, but an applicable one.

I should also mention I've never had a battery leakage issue, screen freeze, nook system freeze, touch freeze or SD card issue, NO problems whatsoever. None. I stopped using Home Screen, Shelves (I view All Library instead as this shows your most recently read titles anyway), and am more or less over the beautiful UI of N2E. Still though, love this thing. 

keriflur
0 Kudos

mettleh3d wrote:

Agreed that they happen when they happen; however, they should not publicly announce something so concrete and not deliver. It's a simple principle.  B&N already pulled this shenanigan with the Black Lewis Cover/Neoprene sleeve that I wanted and so I went elsewhere with my money that time.  It's a small example, but an applicable one.

I should also mention I've never had a battery leakage issue, screen freeze, nook system freeze, touch freeze or SD card issue, NO problems whatsoever. None. I stopped using Home Screen, Shelves (I view All Library instead as this shows your most recently read titles anyway), and am more or less over the beautiful UI of N2E. Still though, love this thing. 

If you're not having any issues at all, then you don't want this update.  There's a fairly decent chance you'll be less happy with your nook after you install an update.  I know this sounds pessimistic, but that's been my experience with B&N.  They don't fully regression test their releases, so often they break something unrelated to the issues they're fixing.

Sometimes they like to remove functionality in their releases.  That's always fun too.

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

"This not a solid, concrete reference?"

No, not really

nlstein
0 Kudos

"Stop sticking up for B&N when you're being shafted as well..."

When I feel shafted by someone I'll tell them and so far you're on the list. We don't know who said what to the WSJ who notoriously report vague remarks from unreliable sources. You seem to have no idea how hard an update to software is (many of us here do) and I agree with the earlier comment. You should get the update first and then you can tell us all how bad it is (since you're already convinced that it will be).

Do you ever have anything positive to say here or do you just use the forum to bitch?

Over and out.

MacBoy
Frequent Contributor
mettleh3d
0 Kudos

nlstein wrote:

When I feel shafted by someone I'll tell them and so far you're on the list. We don't know who said what to the WSJ who notoriously report vague remarks from unreliable sources. You seem to have no idea how hard an update to software is (many of us here do) and I agree with the earlier comment. You should get the update first and then you can tell us all how bad it is (since you're already convinced that it will be).

Do you ever have anything positive to say here or do you just use the forum to bitch?

Over and out.

I have shafted you? I have no N2E problems and am only indicating that what was said should be honored or withdrawn/updated.

@Big_Dave: What the WSJ (I'd hope a respectable, credible newsource) quoted is indeed a reference, and not some empty rumor that I'm basing off of.

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

It was clearly an estimate.  Not solid or concrete.  If they had given a specific date, that would be solid or concrete.  And even if they had given a specific date, it would be subject to change for numerous reasons, none of which would mean B&N or the spokesperson lied.  No one is shafting you on this. So chill out, play with the kids, mow the lawn, do some yoga or tai-chi, but please, give this tantrum a rest.

Inspired Correspondent
apetit
0 Kudos

mettleh3d wrote:

nlstein wrote:

Over and out.

I have shafted you? I have no N2E problems and am only indicating that what was said should be honored or withdrawn/updated.

@Big_Dave: What the WSJ (I'd hope a respectable, credible newsource) quoted is indeed a reference, and not some empty rumor that I'm basing off of.

Here's the way it works:  Marketing asks Engineering when the release will be.  Engineering management asks project management who asks team management who asks for a team consensus.  That date is passed up the chain and at each level it is deemed too long so "a negligible" amount of time is removed at each level to make upper layers happy.  That final shaved date is reported by marketing as the date of the release.  The release still happens when it is done - or worse, when marketing said and an "immediate" patch to resolve issues is made.

Not every company works this way, but a significant number of them do.  The time shaving that occurs happens because "everybody pads estimates."  Very few products are released on time, but many escape "on time."  WSJ just reported what they were told but between when they were told and now "things happened that required an adjustment to the schedule" and the WSJ was not informed and thus has not released an update to a story that is most likely low priority for them.

(Yes, I am an cynic.  I've had over 20 years experience in the industry and am at times amazed that things work as well as they do...)

nlstein
0 Kudos

Like I said - over and out. This is getting tiresome.
MacBoy
nlstein
0 Kudos

On second thought ......

"only indicating that what was said should be honored or withdrawn/updated." If B&N "really" missed a promised date (and again, we don't know who really saId what to who) then isn't it the WSJs business to look into this heinous error? This instead of talking about being lied to?

Just a thought. Now I'm gone.

MacBoy
MegSLP
0 Kudos

Maybe I am the oddball but I only think that B&N should be held responsible for a date if they put it on their page and give us a concrete date. Even then, stuff happens and dates change.
nlstein
0 Kudos

Here, here!
MacBoy
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528

[ Edited ]

@nlstein:

You don't think a vague date from an un-named source is reliable when it's published in a newspaper owned by Rupert Murdoch?

Sheesh!  Where's your sense of concrete information?  :smileywink:

►Without order there is chaos◄
keriflur
0 Kudos

MegSLP wrote:
Maybe I am the oddball but I only think that B&N should be held responsible for a date if they put it on their page and give us a concrete date. Even then, stuff happens and dates change.

The thing is, they didn't do that.  This whole discussion is based on a June 28th WSJ article in which an unnamed B&N spokesperson said an update would be coming within two weeks.

B&N has never given concrete dates of updates or posted update information on the site before an update was released.

MegSLP
0 Kudos

@keriflur-- I know they never posted it. I just agree y'all that it is absurd to hold B&N responsible for information that they never officially released. @AlaNJ--maybe WSJ got their info by wiretapping B&N's phones!