Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
rbrenart
0 Kudos

Nook 2 - turn off page advance by touch screen

For those of us who follow their finger to read is there anyway to disable the page advance based on the touch screen and just use the physical buttons?

I really like the device and want to purchase it, but this kind of ruins it for me.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

Re: Nook 2 - turn off page advance by touch screen

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518

I would tend to doubt it as the device is called the Nook Touch.  That's it's big selling point... :smileywink:

►Without order there is chaos◄
Contributor
2readbooks
0 Kudos

I don't see that there is a way to disable this either, although it would certainly make sense. The touch screen for the menu system is nice, but turning the pages by touching should be able to be disabled.

Contributor
RealAct
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I love my new NOOK touch, however I definitely hate the touch screen page turning, it's very annoying, I tend to put my fingers on top of the screen a lot causing unwanted/unrequested and unexpected page turns which I have not intended, I think this is a MUST HAVE feature, so the user can decide whether to enable or disable the page turnings or at least make it so that only happens when you touch a specific area of the screen away from the middle or bottom edges of the screen. 

An option to ONLY make page turning possible through the hardware keys should be enable, this would make this device perfect IMHO.

New User
wkrkmr
0 Kudos

Add another vote for this feature request!  In the short time I have owned the Nook 2, I have several times lost my page due to accidental page turns and with the fast page turn feature you can get way off very quickly.  This was something I was concerned about relative to the Kindle and it has turned out to be a minor annoyance for me, but I still like the touch screen better than Kindle overall.

Inspired Correspondent
lopaka47
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It should be relatively easy to implement this feature in a future update, if enough N2E owners request it. :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
MikeNC

lopaka47 wrote:

It should be relatively easy to implement this feature in a future update, if enough N2E owners request it. :smileyhappy:

Would it?  I'm not sure, as it would depend on how the touch screen gestures are coded.  It might actually be a big deal to allow selectable changes to a single gesture within the whole touch screen map and gesture recognition code.

I'm not really knowledge about the software implementation of touch gestures, but I have friends who are full time professional developers for iPhone and iPad apps, and they tell me it is not necessarily a trivial thing to alter a single specific gesture like that.  Of course, the N2E has the hardware page turn buttons, so perhaps that specific feature of the touch interface could be tweaked without too much effort.  But I'm just saying I would not presuppose it to be so.

Inspired Correspondent
apetit
0 Kudos

MikeNC wrote:

lopaka47 wrote:

Would it?  I'm not sure, as it would depend on how the touch screen gestures are coded.  It might actually be a big deal to allow selectable changes to a single gesture within the whole touch screen map and gesture recognition code.

I'm not really knowledge about the software implementation of touch gestures, but I have friends who are full time professional developers for iPhone and iPad apps, and they tell me it is not necessarily a trivial thing to alter a single specific gesture like that.  Of course, the N2E has the hardware page turn buttons, so perhaps that specific feature of the touch interface could be tweaked without too much effort.  But I'm just saying I would not presuppose it to be so.

As a developer I would say that it SHOULD be fairly easy if the application was written "correctly" to begin with.  But that's a pretty big "if" in these days of code before design...

Contributor
RealAct
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Sorry for resurrecting this old topic, but I wonder if there has been any update on this? is this still not possible with the second generation of the Nook Simple Touch?

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

No update.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

If you're requesting a change for the Nook Simple Touch, you might want to try posting it in the discussion forum for that device.  This is the discussion for the First Edition, that only had the small touch-screen strip along the bottom, and no updates are expected, ever, for that device.