Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
kjreads
0 Kudos

Nook 2nd Edition - Simple Nook Password protected?

Does anyone know if the new Nook has password protection?  I use it on both my Nook Wifi 3G and NC, both for activating Nook and for purchases.  I looked at the quickstart guide on the new Nook Specs page but it appears to be for the original Nook.

I love the NC but it is a little heavy to carry around.   Love the NC touch screen and lol confuse myself when I go back to the other Nook.   Am thinking this is a happy combination meant just for reading.

Birthday coming up in June but oh gosh how can i justify another Nook!

LOL back to look at the new covers.

Karen J

Reader
notonmywatch

Re: Nook 2nd Edition - Simple Nook Password protected?

The software developers neglected to include that feature in the touchscreen Nook.  So, B&N developers took away a needed capability, which should NEVER occur in the world of technology.  I am told it was an oversight.  Pretty big one, if you ask me.

Correspondent
Byteguy

[ Edited ]

What the heck?

notonmywatch wrote:

The software developers neglected to include that feature in the touchscreen Nook.  So, B&N developers took away a needed capability, which should NEVER occur in the world of technology.  I am told it was an oversight.  Pretty big one, if you ask me.

Who told you it was an oversight?  And features come and go all the time.

There is a password ability on purchases.  Go to Settings -> Shop -> Require Password for Purchases.

There is not the ability to set a master password to access/block the Nook.

One thing to remember is that the new Touch is REALLY trying to save the battery for reading.  If it has to redraw the screen a couple dozen times to get a password (prompt, key down, key up, key down, key up... reading screen) those all take away from page-turn redraws.

It's possible (I don't know because B&N developers don't talk to me like they apparently talk to NotOn), that making it harder to get to your book and burning the battery was discarded as a "feature" since you can password protect the bit that would cost you money and it also takes away a potential support problem.

New User
telpoch

[ Edited ]

Weather this was an oversight or not, this feature is really wanted, by me and many others i see when googling...

The password protection to start using the Nook touch doesn't have to be on by default or mandatory... As an option, those who choose it will accept the fact that there is a few extra steps to start using it...

As far as battery life, i doubt this will add more than the same amount consumed by a few page flips...

I love the little device otherwise, but I had already my kid buy a book w/o my consent, which I am happy to know now I can protect with password for purchases, but I know that my kids can also access content that I may not want them to access, and locking it or hiding it is just more complicated than, if the feature was available, entering 4 digits before reading...

My 2 cents.

New User
dbwkreader

Huge and very disappointing oversight.  Why mess with the perfection you had with the Nook First Edition?

I love the smaller, lighter size of the Nook Simple Touch...but...PLEASE FIX THIS!

New User
TerryBerry

Yes how disappointing that I can not lock this reader. If this was an oversight the developers must have asked 2 people what features they would want. Evidently fixing this via a software update must not be possible. I wish I had bought a different reader.

If you have kids dont buy this reader if you even think to read anything slightly inappropriate for young eyes because they will find it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

To be fair, it's designed to replace paper books.  If you were reading DTBs with adult content you'd find a way to keep them away from your kids.

Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

I'm guessing they got too many CS calls regarding forgotten passwords with the N1E. The point behind the NST was simplicity and this was one item that wasn't needed by most users. I used the feature briefly on the N1E but then turned it off after getting tired of entering it after every distraction long enough to put my nook to sleep.

Also, while it won't help for a book you're currently reading, you can archive other books and then restrict wifi access for your nook on your router to prevent unauthouzed downloads by your kids.
Reader
butterfly55
0 Kudos

If I wanted to carry books with me then I wouldn't have bought the NST.  Now I for one would like to have had the password protection added to the NST.  I got the NST so that I would not have to carry  heavy books and I don't have to worry where to store my books when I finish reading them. 

New User
Triciajo
0 Kudos

I wish I had known this!  The ONLY reason I wanted an e-reader was to have something with adult content that my kids could not read. It never occurred to me that anyone would design an electronic gadget without a password lock function!  (Every little junky electronic game, phone, etc. in my house has it.  It's the only reason I created a B&N account, because all the kids' stuff is on the Kindle and Amazon account.  Now, I have to wrap this thing (and the fancy cover I bought) and return them.  Ugh!  Stupid, stupid, stupid move, B&N.

Correspondent
Byteguy

Triciajo wrote:

I wish I had known this!  The ONLY reason I wanted an e-reader was to have something with adult content that my kids could not read. ...

If that's the ONLY reason you bought it... it probably would have been a good idea to have ASKED someone or done even a tiny bit of research.  B&N has helpful people at the store, models on display you can play with, and the user manuals are posted on-line.  Any of those would have shown you there isn't a master password on the Simple Touch.

Reader 4
katnight
0 Kudos

I agree, definitely need a password protection!!

Reader 4
katnight
0 Kudos

you probably don't have kids :smileyhappy:
Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

katnight wrote:
you probably don't have kids :smileyhappy:

Uh... are you talking to me?  Hard to tell after a couple of months and without a reference to which of the posts you're responding to.

Actually, I have a bunch of kids and some of them even have nooks of their own.

As for my beloved NST... I knew when I bought it (because I looked up the on-line manual in advance) that the only password was for purchases.  That was fine with me.

However, I did make sure my tablet and phone were able to be locked down.  Not because of my reading habits but because I do all of my banking on them.