Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Liotta1
0 Kudos

Nook Buttons Are Pushing My Buttons

Getting ready to receive my second Nook replacement due to problems with the buttons. With my first Nook (nookosaurus rex), a hairline crack developed, extending across the right-hand forward button. They sent me a replacement for that one (nookosaurus rex jr.), but the replacement has problems with the plastic creaking on the left-hand forward button and that button is not activating properly. I sure hope nookosaurus rex III works as it should since I'm getting tired of having to package up the dysfunctionals and send them back.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Buttons Are Pushing My Buttons

Liotta1 wrote:

Getting ready to receive my second Nook replacement due to problems with the buttons. With my first Nook (nookosaurus rex), a hairline crack developed, extending across the right-hand forward button. They sent me a replacement for that one (nookosaurus rex jr.), but the replacement has problems with the plastic creaking on the left-hand forward button and that button is not activating properly. I sure hope nookosaurus rex III works as it should since I'm getting tired of having to package up the dysfunctionals and send them back.

Let us know if this next one appears different, I'm just waiting for my second one to crack.

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

Funny, mine is my replacement nook as well and I have the same left side noise. I just haven't bothered to complain about it. I thought it was something out of my control.

Is it worth asking for another replacement? My first was replaced for the cracked button.

Frequent Contributor
Dyrinn45
0 Kudos

mine has a little "creaking" in the right hand backward button, like it can be pushed down a fraction of an inch without turning the page so it has a little give to it, but it is not worth replacing the nook over that lol...I have had no freezes, battery life issues, no ebook opening problems...not worth testing my luck on a second one.

i got my ST warranty if anything serious happens.

Contributor
Scooter742
0 Kudos

I had the "creaking" button issue as well.  It is caused (at least in my case) by the Nook bezel/frame rubbing against the raised, e-ink border when you push one of the page forward/backward buttons.

I finally took the back cover off the Nook, and unsnapped the small tabs holding the frame to the Nook body.  Lifting the frame up carefully, I used a small file to shave off a tiny bit of the inside of the frame where it meets the grey, raised border around the e-ink display at the page forward button position.  This completely eliminated the creaking, and it has not returned.

I'm satisfied with this solution, but it's unfortunate that there are so many "fit and finish" issues with this version of the Nook...

Frequent Contributor
JC88
0 Kudos

All four of my page buttons creak.  I didn't know that they weren't suppose to.  I have a three year warrenty so I'm not going to sweat it, but it's interesting that they aren't suppose to do that.  hmm...

Frequent Contributor
Cryogaijin
0 Kudos

My buttons creak as well. It is a bit annoying, and if it gets too much terribly worse I might take it in for a replacement. 

OTOH, the little nub on the buttons does irritate my fingers during marathon reading sessions. Should be concave rather than pointy.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Cryogaijin wrote:

My buttons creak as well. It is a bit annoying, and if it gets too much terribly worse I might take it in for a replacement. 

OTOH, the little nub on the buttons does irritate my fingers during marathon reading sessions. Should be concave rather than pointy.

I don't use the buttons too often, but when I do, I use the nub as a guide, but push more toward the edge of the reading screen.  Not sure if that will help.

Frequent Contributor
JC88
0 Kudos

I will read two books a day if I have the time (which is never), but I agree.  I would like it to be concave as well.

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

OK, I finally feel "normal"!  I just noticed 2 cracks starting at my right page forward button.  Guess I'll wait till they get real bad then bring it into the store to see about a replacement...

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

I think a lot of button wear and tear comes from people pinching the buttons between their thumb and index finger as they hold the nook while they read.  I don't think the plastic buttons were really designed to hold up the weight of the device for any extended period of time.

Personally - I have a case for my nook and never actually touch the device while reading - other than to turn a page.

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Inspired Correspondent
Phigment
0 Kudos

SlaughterS wrote:

I think a lot of button wear and tear comes from people pinching the buttons between their thumb and index finger as they hold the nook while they read. I don't think the plastic buttons were really designed to hold up the weight of the device for any extended period of time.

Personally - I have a case for my nook and never actually touch the device while reading - other than to turn a page.

I haven't had any problems with my nook buttons (lucky??) though I keep my nook in a case and lightly press the forward button with my fat little thumb. Again, I could just be lucky.

Contributor
REVK
0 Kudos

I had one trouble since I bought it, it froze, but with update everything was cool. One thing that pisses me off is that they say that I can get free samples, while they charge me on the side and in store you cannot read books for free for an hour, they need my credit card #. I wonder why does free reading requires credit card, I just cant quite put my mind to it? 

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@REVK,

Thank you for your feedback.  I do want to clarify a few things though:

1.  We do not charge for free eBooks. Have you been eroneously charged?  Please clarify for me.

2.  Also, you do require a default credit card saved in your account for access to eBooks (even if they are free), but we do not charge you.

3.  You can read books for free for an hour in our Barnes and Noble retail stores.  Are you having some issues with this feature?  Please clarify for me.

If you want you can also PM me.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V