Reader
jawperky
0 Kudos

Nook Car Charger

Does anyone know whether car chargers are available for Nooks?  I haven't been able to find any YET.  Thanks for any assistance you can give.

Distinguished Correspondent
Tboner

Re: Nook Car Charger

Do a Google search for "Micro USB Car Chargers".

You'll find a huge number of them.

Due to the recent smackdown about referrals I'm not referring anyone anywhere anymore.

Inspired Contributor
luny2ns
0 Kudos

Some of the newer cellphone car chargers have a place to plug in a usb cord to them so you could piggy-back the nook cord to charge it.  Also, my Samsung cellphone charger has the same connection to it.  I had bought an extra nook charger before I found this out and now I use the nook charger to charge my cellphone at home and in motels,too. I use my samsung charger for both  in the car.

Also, you can buy a power convertor fairly cheap, plug it in the car outlet, and then plug in your nook charger.  I did this before I got the new phone.

Correspondent
EmrysIN
0 Kudos

I wish I could read in the car. For some reason I always get carsick when I try. Considering my family is 4 hours away it would certanly make the drive seem much faster!

Inspired Contributor
luny2ns
0 Kudos

I'm sorry you get carsick.  I could not stand it if I could not read in the car!

Frequent Contributor
psjcal
0 Kudos

EmrysIN wrote:

I wish I could read in the car. For some reason I always get carsick when I try. Considering my family is 4 hours away it would certainly make the drive seem much faster!

While I can read in the car I find my reading makes the driver cranky -- he doesn't have anyone to talk with. Our answer, audio books; we prefer suspense books as they keep us involved in the story.

mousetater

Search for Micro USB Vehicle Car Charger - Black.  The company I bought from had 3 for $9.99 and free shipping. I went with them because they specifically listed The Nook in their compatibility list.  Can't beat the price.

Whitecat5000
0 Kudos

I would worry about using a car charger.  From what I hear (and I've have heard it both ways) car charging shortens battery life by overcharging.  I've also heard it doesn't.

I stray on the side of caution and don't use it just in case.  The battery on the Nook is short enough as is.

Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

Whitecat5000:

the battery in the Nook decides its charging level.  I have been chargeing mine in the car via my cell phone charger for 6 months and not an issue.  Little light comes on and little light goes off, just like at home.

Anthony

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

Any decent car charger for cellphones with a Micro-B connector should work just fine.  I use the one that came with my BlackBerry. 

Contributor
JRBaker
0 Kudos

Check out the power solutions from Griffin: http://www.griffintechnology.com/category/power  I just bought the PowerBlock Dual Universal for home so I could charge my nook and something else at the same time, using the cable that came with the nook.  I also have the predecessor to the Power Jolt Dual Universal, which is the same thing for the car.  Having something like that in the car just makes it way easeir to charge anything USB, since you can plug the USB cord that came with the device right into it, rather than shopping around for something for microUSB, etc.

New User
ShadowandStarkysMom
0 Kudos

You need a 1.9amp & 5 volts for it to work.
Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

ShadowandStarkysMom wrote:
You need a 1.9amp & 5 volts for it to work.

That would be for the LCD tablets,  The original Nook First Edition and the Nook Simple Touch can be recharged on a cell-phone-standard 1 Amp charger.  I use the one from my Blackberry all the time.  Even the tablets can recharge off the 1A, though it takes a long time.