Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
RogerMD
0 Kudos

Nook Color Screen Protector

I just purchased a Nook Color and the B&N "clear" not the "anti-glare" screen protector.

I'd be interested in learning the experience of those that have these and would the anti-glare feature be more important. I'm sure they both provide the same protection, so it probably has more to do with the visual quality.

Also any tips on getting these on without bubbles, etc.?

Thanks!

:smileyhappy:

Nook Color
Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Screen Protector

First clean the screen with the micro fiber cloth. Peel the backing off of the sheet. Hold it by the edge without touching the back that rest against your screen. I found starting in landscape position to be easier. I used the cloth to slowly press it down while holding one edge off of the screen. Going very, very, very slowly will ease it down with no bubbles. Good luck.

Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

I'd be very keen to hear from some folks who have the anti-glare screen too.  I just have the clear gloss cover so far and I'm finding that it gets smudgy with fingerprints VERY fast.  Perhaps I should not eat so many greasy snacks while reading, but still :smileyhappy:

The protector screen for my husband's Droid X came with a miniature squeegee to help keep bubbles out.  The Nook's screen didn't come with anything like that, but a credit card can help smoosh it down while you're applying it.  I didn't use anything and it was relatively bubble-free, but I wish I'd seen this suggestion about putting it in the landscape position first, that would have helped me a lot.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

jeanniepep wrote:

The Nook's screen didn't come with anything like that, but a credit card can help smoosh it down while you're applying it.  I didn't use anything and it was relatively bubble-free, but I wish I'd seen this suggestion about putting it in the landscape position first, that would have helped me a lot.

I haven't pulled the trigger on a NOOKColor yet, it *could* be my celebratory gift for finally getting a job in this new (well old, but we just moved back to it) city.  I'm hesitant because of migraines, but a few other migraineurs have reported that they've had little or no trouble from the NC, so...

Anyway, my point was that I've used such screens on smartphones, iPods, mp3 players and when I've had bubbling, I've been able to remove most of them by very carefully puncturing the bubble with the end of a straight pin.  Then you smooth with the credit card again. (You have to be gentle so you don't scratch the screen, but you can debubble most of it.) 

Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

Actually I was able to work out a mid-screen bubble with just the cleaning cloth, but my main issue is that I didn't lay it down straight and it is slightly lifted up at one corner where I overlapped the frame (laying it down "landscape" would have worked better, oh well).  It's really tiny though and I can't even see it when it's turned on.  I might change to anti-glare though because my own fingerprints are making my magazines a little blurry.  

Go to a brick-and-mortar B&N and try one out, see if it hurts your head!  They let us play with it for like half an hour or more.  I keep the brightness turned almost all the way down at home and it seems just as comfortable on the eyes as a paper book, but I don't tend to be prone to migraines usually (hangovers are another story).  

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

jeanniepep wrote:

Go to a brick-and-mortar B&N and try one out, see if it hurts your head!  They let us play with it for like half an hour or more.  I keep the brightness turned almost all the way down at home and it seems just as comfortable on the eyes as a paper book, but I don't tend to be prone to migraines usually

I played with one for about ten minutes, which is why I'm even considering it.  :smileyvery-happy:

When it was first announced, I thought LCD for a reader was ridiculous - and believed that for several weeks until I tried one out.  I love my NOOK, but I wouldn't mind having the other capabilities of the NOOKColor.  Once I get a job, I'll look again.  In the meantime I'm just listening for complaints of migraine, just in case.  If people have trouble, I can always wait and hope for Mirasol or Pixel Qi.

Frequent Contributor
RogerMD
0 Kudos

I see my question has brought about some excellent comments. I installed the "clear" screen protector and encountered all of the above on the Nook Color. Bubbles started with only a few, but they increased in quantity as I lifted the protector to realign it better each time. I also was not perfectly aligned at the top and as I laid the protector down in the portrait position, it too was overlapping the side a miniscule amount, which caused me to lift it completely to realign. That's when the bubbles increased in quantify. Not terrible visually when the screen is on, but it just bothers me. I wish I had started laying it down landscape because the longer length of the screen at the top and shorter linear amount you are laying it down on the sides, allows less chance of it being skewed slightly and not adhere properly within the screen’s surface area.

Using the supplied micro-fiber cloth as I laid the screen down did help. You are doing so many things with your hands & fingers simultaneously that it's hard. The other thing I noticed is that the clear protector definitely does collect more smudges/finger prints (regardless of whether you eat cookies or not, ha! ha!). I’d be afraid of using a pin, because going to far perforating the bubble might touch the actual screen. Not sure that material the screen is made of – is it some type of glass, like the Zune 120 media player that you can take a chef knife and pass it over the screen with no damage or is it plastic that will be “injured”?

Nook Color
Distinguished Correspondent
morgman
0 Kudos

I really like the screen protector that B&N sells.  I was surprised that the pack actually included 2 protectors. If you mess up one you have a spare.    I put mine on in portrait, working down.  I lined up the edge of the protector with the top edge of the screen and just worked back and forth with the cloth, moving down the unit.  The only place I had a bubble was the top of the screen.  I was able to just push those out pretty easily.  

As I mentioned in a related post, I really think anyone that buys a NC should get the screen protector.  It makes a huge difference on the finger prints, and a noticeable difference on screen glare.  

Frequent Contributor
bikechuck
0 Kudos

I purchased a Nook color for my wife for Christmas last weekend.  The gent at B&N demoed it for me using his personal color Nook.  SInce it was not teathered down we took it outside so I could see how it looked in the daylight.  He had the clear screen protector and told me that he was going to switch to the anti glare which makes it more readable outdoors and shows fewer fingerprints.  It is a little bit of a darker look indoors but I doubt that you would realize that or care after getting used to it.  He installed the screensaver on her Nook for me which was nice.  He had obvously installed more than a few and I know he did a better job at it than me or my wife would have.

Based on his demo and recommendations I am happy that I purchased the B&N anti glare version of the protector.

CB2010
0 Kudos

I bought the anti-glare protector, but haven't added it.

What I was concerned about--does adding the protection diminish the touchscreen's sensitivity?

TIA

Correspondent
growlingraven
0 Kudos

The only reason I haven't purchased the anti-glare screen protector is I'm afraid it would degrade screen sensitivity.  I'd also be curious to hear about how it effects screen sensitivity.

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

I Did not spend much time with my NC before I put the anti glare screen protector on. The touch sensitivity is fine. Anything I view on the screen is crystal clear. The smudge problem is a matter of keeping a clean finger and wipe down the screen,using a micro fiber cloth. Often.

JMHO

:smileyhappy:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
yoshipumkin
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

When I bought my Nook Color, I had a set of three iPad screen protectors lying around. (I'd been saving up to buy an iPad).  They are made by a company named Splash and I bought them from Amazon for $14.95 for a pack of three. http://www.splashproducts.com/category_s/42.htm

I cut them to fit my Nook screen (took two tries, but the first goof was entirely user error).  These screen protectors go on very easily because the material is flexible but stiff, if that makes sense, so there's no flopping around.  There are no bubbles.  It is clear.  I cannot tell I have a screen protector on.  It does catch finger prints, but this doesn't bother me because I just wipe them off.  They only offer clear, no anti-glare.  I think they're quality protectors and, if I ever need to, I will buy these again without hesitation.  I also was able to use the leftovers for my cell phone :smileyhappy:

I contacted the company and was told that they expect to release a Nook Color version of the screen protector mid-January.  

Contributor
wookv
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I just applied my anti-glare protector 2 nights ago after playing with it au naturale for a week. The surface now has a very different feel. Before, it's touching glass and while it smudged everywhere, it gave me a sense of using something of high quality (totally psychological). Whereas with the antiglare protector, imagine touching a piece of film after its been developed (very very smooth, some smudges still but much less), and I've had to turn up the brightness a couple of notches to get the same level of brightness while indoors.

To get it on without bubbles, I spent about 10 minutes wiping, rewiping and rewipong the screen with the included microfiber cloth. Removing the edge of the protector with label on, I applied that end aligned to the top of the NC and as I peeled more of the  backing off, I pressed it down onto the screen with the cloth. At any moment that I see a bubble, I stop and use the cloth to "push" the bubble to the edge.

In short, I prefer the look and feel without the protector (I don't mind cleaning it every now and then) but I think I'm paranoid enough about scratching it that I'm leaving the protector on, at least for now.

Contributor
Shinwa
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info, I was curious as to what the different protectors were like, and whether the anti-glare one would look decent.

I wonder how long lasting these things are? Do they seem pretty durable?

Shinwa

Inspirational Quotes of the Saints and Saints' Books - free e-book downloads.
Contributor
wookv
0 Kudos

The antiglare protector does seem to be very durable, unless you're holding a knife to it, i don't think it'll be easily scratched (probably not even by a key)

Inspired Contributor
BanjoBen
0 Kudos

I have the anti-glare screen protector and I really like it.  It's a LOT less prone to smudges than the bare screen.  As noted by another poster, it does have a different feel than the glass, but it still feels and looks fine to me.

CB2010
0 Kudos

I've had a similar protector on my PSP for over 5 years and it's still fine. Although there's no touch screen on the PSP, so that may cause some wear, although I can't see that causing much wear and tear.

I find the hardcover "book cover" that holds the Nook also provides good protection and highly recommend getting one of those.

Reader 2
carzon12
0 Kudos

I purchased the anti-glare protector and installed it Immediately after taking my nook color out of the box. It was very easy to install and I love it. I got no bubbles and the corners didn't lift. It helps a lot with fingerprints and smudges. Scratches are all on the protector and it seems to be very durable. I have had the Nook color since it first came out. Great investment.

Inspired Correspondent
thans56
0 Kudos

I purchased and applied the standard film to my CNook and just yesterday bought the anti-glare film to replace the standard one.  I had the anti-glare one on my old nook and loved it, didn't show fingerprints and was easy to keep clean.  This standard one seems to multiply fingerprints lol and is very hard to keep clean.  Fingerprints seem to just smear rather than come off and it takes longer to clean.

In short . . . I'd suggest getting the anti-glare one!