Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
WVU77
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color vs Kindle

You say you live in the boonies...  Are you sure you have 3G.  I live in the boonies, too, and we do not.  I don't see us getting it anytime in the near future either.  There are a lot of places with wifi - the public library, McDonald's, in the parking lot of many businesses (sad, I know, but you make do with what you have) and I have it at home.  3G was a non-issue for me.  What won me over were the free books from the library, free Fridays at B&N and all the options the NC offered.

The only point that slowed me down was the non-replaceable battery and I decided to play Scarlet O'Hara on that one.  I will worry about it another day.  Today I am just enjoying my NC.

Frequent Contributor
JoeNook
0 Kudos

SCIONTX wrote:

Globaltech wrote:

I simply don't want my ereader to look like an old calculator with buttons.

LOL ... That's certainly how the first Kindle looked (which I proudly owned). A Texas Instruments relic.

Oh man  those first and second generation Kindles are just plain  ugly.  I can't believe those things sold like candy.  The newest one is still pretty bad IMHO, but much more improved than the first two.

They remand me of those Radio Shack Tand electronic games when we were kids. 

Contributor
Sunshine3366
0 Kudos

Will you keep your nook classic or sell it?

New User
hopeful2011
0 Kudos

Love it, just got mine last thursday.Took it to work on Wednesday, co workers love it, two went on their lunch break a bought one!

New User
hopeful2011
0 Kudos

hi i just got my last tuesday love it! i will say that because i have 3G on my blackberry bold the nook color is slower but i have not had any internet issues. I am thinking about downgrading my internet service on my blackberry since the nook wifi works so well!

Wordsmith
SCIONTX
0 Kudos

JoeNook wrote:

Oh man  those first and second generation Kindles are just plain  ugly.  I can't believe those things sold like candy.  The newest one is still pretty bad IMHO, but much more improved than the first two.

They remand me of those Radio Shack Tand electronic games when we were kids. 

LOL Haven't heard the name Tandy in a while. :smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
GuzziAlfa
0 Kudos

Michelle, that's not true about the Kindle - 3G is their primary format.  Lately, Kindle started offering lesser priced models that are WiFi only - makes it less expensive to gain more market share.

I have Nook color, standard nook, kindle II and Kindle 3 DX - the big one and love them all.  I used the DX for my magazines and am awaiting a 32 gb MicroSDHC card to try the format there.  I really dislike the backlit technology a whole lot as it is unusable in the field at night for astronomy documents - too much light.  I got it because I figured I would use it during the day only.  It's more like an Itouch than an ipad truthfully.   BN has less free material for sure.  Via Facebook there are Free Friday's where I've picked up a whole lot of free books - some are even enjoyable.  BN tends to charge 99 cents for something that would be free on Amazon.  One significant drawback to the nook color is it's battery life.  The sales person at BN teased that it was good for an hour - like any Android phone or iphone, battery life is a daily charge thing.  I can leave it on for the day but it needs a daily charge.

Pandora is nice but you have to login each time to use it - no on or off switch.  That's a pain.

Using the non-glare screen cover I have found the touch keyboard is a little less sensitive and that's a really good thing - almost returned it because I couldn't use the darn keyboard at all. 

I turn my screen brightness to all the way down - that's useable for me.

John S.

Wordsmith
SCIONTX
0 Kudos

You don't have to login each time you use Pandora. If you "pause" the song and then leave, when you come back to Pandora you'll still be at that song. Press "play" to resume. The app will automatically quit after being paused for a few minutes. You'll still be able to resume play when you return. No need to login.

New User
iheartbooksLR
0 Kudos

I just returned my Kindle 3. I couldn't handle reading without a back light. Even in daylight, I still found I needed a reading light unless I increased the text to jumbo size. I have the Kindle app on my Iphone, it's free, and I love it. The back light on my phone may have ruined me for the Kindle. I did give the Kindle a chance, but after two weeks of straining to read, I sent it back. My next purchase will be a Nook color. I have heard the page turns, and navigation on the Nook is more sluggish than the Kindle. Can anyone who has used both, give their opinion? Thanks:smileyhappy: 

Contributor
tecup
0 Kudos

After sitting on the fence for these few years regarding ereaders I took a look at the NC.  I was hooked.  I ordered and received one and haven't looked back.  The Kindle I am sure is a good product but I never liked e-ink - it hurt my eyes.  So I took a pass until NC came along.  The color screen is fabulous, I love reading magazines on it, the LCD screen is terrific as well as the choices for viewing.  I have yet to listen to music but right now I'm enjoying reading again. 

My advice to anyone is to test drive those ereaders that you are interested in and then purchase.  Good luck!

Frequent Contributor
GuzziAlfa
0 Kudos

Page turning on the nook traditional is slow - better on the 1.5 update but still slow compared to the nook color - very fast - too fast sometimes.  I hit tap to turn the page more than swipe.  It is simpler and less physical repetitive motion. 

To each his own with the backlit thing - personally, I have the  contrast all the way OFF on the nook color to make it tolerable.  The Kindle III DX has the best screen resolution bar none.  I find backlit things annoying - like staring at a computer screen all day.  Of course, I am a glasses wearer and use these devices under the stars at times where anything 'lit' would hinder my dark adaptation.

John S.

Contributor
Michelle5269
0 Kudos

I appreciate all the comments. I got my Kindle 3 yesterday and it does has a nice look with the e-ink and really is easy to setup but I am underwhelmed and plan on going back to look at the NC one more time this weekend. I really am leaning toward returning the Kindle and buying the NC. I think eventually I will want both the Kindle and NC.

Contributor
tammylh

i got a kindle for chrimsas last year and i really enjoyed using it until my husband "stole" it from me.  when the nookcolor came out, i was curious about it and went to check it out.  i loved it and bought one.

sometimes i need to use the dictionary to find the meaning of a word.  with kindle, it's a little pain in the butt having to scroll down to the word and press the button.  you can only see two lines (or maybe 3?) of the defintion at the bottom.  with nookcolor, all you have to do is to click on the word and a box comes up.  it's quite easy.

also i like to read in bed before going to sleep.  i don't need to have the light on. i normally adjust the brightness so it wouldn't be too bright.  when i'm ready to sleep, i simply turn off the nookcolor and go to bed.

and i love read the magazines on my nookcolor.  sure, there isn't a lot of titles but i'm already subscribing two favorite ones.  i'm hoping someday we will be able to get people magazine in the electronic format! i don't have to worry about wasting tree or having them taking up space in my house.

good luck with the decision if you havent decied yet! :smileyhappy:

currently reading 'the girl who played with fire'
New User
kleek
0 Kudos

You probably already made your decision, but i thought I'd share my two cents.  You never know. They might be helpful.  I have a Kindle, the latest generation, and I think it is amazing.  My brother has the Nook and over the holidays I got to try it out quite thoroughly and compare it with my Kindle.  After doing a pretty thorough comparison I'm happy that I went with the Kindle.  Yes, the Nook has many great features and the color touch screen is very attractive, but for someone like me, who does so much reading for work and my own research, the Kindle's e-ink screen is much better on my eyes.  I do enough work on the computer and also my smartphone, so it's nice to have a break from all the glare.  I can read for long stretches of time without getting tired, just like with a regular book.  After reading with my brother's Nook for 10 minutes or so, my eyes started hurting a little.  It's also nice to have a device that is just devoted to reading with no distractions, as another reviewer has mentioned.   There is no color, no truly user-friendly web access, etc., but in the end, that's not why I got an e-reader in the first place.  I already have my laptop and smartphone.  However, if you do decide on the Kindle I highly recommend getting it with 3G connectivity.  Even though surfing the web is clumsy and inefficient, the Whispersync technology is fantastic. It's nice to be able to get instant access to books anytime, anywhere, rather than having to find a hot zone or connect to my laptop via usb.  Hope it helps, and whatever you decide, enjoy!

New User
kleek
0 Kudos

You probably already made your decision, but i thought I'd share my two cents.  You never know. They might be helpful.  I have a Kindle, the latest generation, and I think it is amazing.  My brother has the Nook and over the holidays I got to try it out quite thoroughly and compare it with my Kindle.  After doing a pretty thorough comparison I'm happy that I went with the Kindle.  Yes, the Nook has many great features and the color touch screen is very attractive, but for someone like me, who does so much reading for work and my own research, the Kindle's e-ink screen is much better on my eyes.  I do enough work on the computer and also my smartphone, so it's nice to have a break from all the glare.  I can read for long stretches of time without getting tired, just like with a regular book.  After reading with my brother's Nook for 10 minutes or so, my eyes started hurting a little.  It's also nice to have a device that is just devoted to reading with no distractions, as another reviewer has mentioned.   There is no color, no truly user-friendly web access, etc., but in the end, that's not why I got an e-reader in the first place.  I already have my laptop and smartphone.  However, if you do decide on the Kindle I highly recommend getting it with 3G connectivity.  Even though surfing the web is clumsy and inefficient, the Whispersync technology is fantastic. It's nice to be able to get instant access to books anytime, anywhere, rather than having to find a hot zone or connect to my laptop via usb.  Hope it helps, and whatever you decide, enjoy!

New User
kleek
0 Kudos

You probably already made your decision, but i thought I'd share my two cents.  You never know. They might be helpful.  I have a Kindle, the latest generation, and I think it is amazing.  My brother has the Nook and over the holidays I got to try it out quite thoroughly and compare it with my Kindle.  After doing a pretty thorough comparison I'm happy that I went with the Kindle.  Yes, the Nook has many great features and the color touch screen is very attractive, but for someone like me, who does so much reading for work and my own research, the Kindle's e-ink screen is much better on my eyes.  I do enough work on the computer and also my smartphone, so it's nice to have a break from all the glare.  I can read for long stretches of time without getting tired, just like with a regular book.  After reading with my brother's Nook for 10 minutes or so, my eyes started hurting a little.  It's also nice to have a device that is just devoted to reading with no distractions, as another reviewer has mentioned.   There is no color, no back light, no truly user-friendly web access, etc., but in the end, that's not why I got an e-reader in the first place.  I already have my laptop and smartphone.  However, if you do decide on the Kindle I highly recommend getting it with 3G connectivity.  Even though surfing the web is clumsy and inefficient, the Whispersync technology is fantastic. It's nice to be able to get instant access to books anytime, anywhere, rather than having to find a hot zone or connect to my laptop via usb.  Hope it helps, and whatever you decide, enjoy!

Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

Other than the obvious question why your post appeared three times (??)...I wonder a bit about your comparison.

Disclaimer: I have never seen/used a Kindle...I am a nook user.  I did considerabkle (non-hands-on) research and chose the nook, and have not regretted it

It sounds like you are comparing the Kindle e-ink version to the nook Color.  Have you compared the nook Classic (e-ink) with the Kindle e-ink?  In the aforementioned research, I seem to recall the nook e-ink getting reviewed as better than the Kindle e-ink.

Just curious...

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
New User
kleek
0 Kudos

Don't know why it appeared three times.  Must be some glitch.  And as the title of the discussion strand notes, my comparison was indeed between the Kindle and Nook Color.  I haven't tried the other Nooks.  

Inspired Correspondent
seescribe
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Interesting article about Kindle and iPad.  What was interesting was the comments about how most people use their iPad ("Surveys show owners use it, in order of popularity, for Web browsing, e-mail, watching movies, playing games -- and only then for reading.")

Several people at my job have iPads.  They say they use them for taking notes, but after about 3 weeks, I don't ever see them taking notes, mostly looking at emails, which I do on my phone.

If the primary usage for an iPad is true, then just get a nookcolor.  You get better reading experience and then all that other stuff for less cost.  If you want a little computer, root a nookcolor, buy a tablet, or wait for increase functionality in nookcolor.

Barron's Online:

http://online.barrons.com/article/SB50001424052970203822504576047683756169072.html

Of course, if you only foresee yourself reading then a nook or a kindle would be the choice I guess, but I for one like to get a few extras if they are available.  I think the nookcolor has the potential to become a tablet, as some on this forum have already made theirs a tablet. 

I primarily use my nookcolor for reading, browsing this forum, and facebook posts, and now I listen to Pandora.  I will likely start checking my email on it more, but I'm waiting for the enhancements on the browser for flash and java, when they come, I likely won't boot up my laptop or desktop unless I need the larger screens and/or beefy processing.