Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
neonzephyr
0 Kudos

Nook Color vs Nook Classic

So, I just bought a Nook Color. I'm not quite used to it, but there are some things about it that I love already and some things that are driving me crazy. I'm hopeful that others of you might have some advice or comments that are helpful, or at least some insight into your own experiences.

Background: This is the first e-book reader or tablet reader that I've owned. I was trying to decide between the Kindle and the iPad when my husband discovered and showed me the Nook Classic at Barnes and Noble. The salesgirl mentioned that the Nook Color would be out in a few days so we came back to see it and impulsively bought it because it was dead fun to play with and read on and because it had a good return policy in case I didn't like the experience.

I brought it home and it took three hours to get the WiFi to work. This only happened when we unprotected the network. We can't leave it unprotected by password, though, so we had to put a password back on it. Now, I can't get the Nook to connect to buy books! Tech support on the phone was useless (and also, not very friendly -- this surprised me) and simply suggested that I turn off the password protection on the router completely or go to BN to buy books on their WiFi!

I like the touch screen experience, but the back-lit screen might be giving me a headache (not sure if this is the cause). I don't really need the color or the web-surfing capabilities, but I love being able to read on it. I've read one book and a few sample chapters. The battery life is not that good, I think.

Do any of you have opinions on how the Nook Classic compares to the Nook Color? I'm curious about the e-ink, the lack of touch screen functions, the possibility of taking notes on the books in it, and mainly, it's WiFi connectivity. Does it seem to have the same issues?

Contributor
dketcham
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color vs Nook Classic

Well I just wanted to point out that another option for securing your WIFI is to secure it by MAC address, instead of with a password protection. My nook classic MAC address is available from page 2 under Settings.

Inspired Correspondent
RodneyJT
0 Kudos

I have a nook and only played with a nookcolor in the store. If the nookcolor was fun enough to play with that it you bought it right there than you may struggle with the nook. At the moment the nook is just an ereader. Its a near perfect device for reading text only books. Compared to other devices like the nookcolor or ipad it's interface will be frustrating. Especially for doing anything other than reading. So think about what you want to do with your ereader.

As for WiFi I have had no problems at all connecting to any WiFi network I had the information for. I'd imagine if you struggled to get the nookcolor connected than you may struggle with the nook too. I deal with a lot of people asking for help with connecting various devices to wireless networks. 95% of the time the problems they have is not enough information to connect. If the WiFi is the only issue you have with it I'd try and get more help to get the WiFi working. Are there any other devices using the same WiFi network connected through WiFi and not with a cord. If so look at how they are setup.

I think for my nook I ended up needing to use the ssid and a passkey to connect even to one network even though it could 'see' it just fine. In the pass I've used some networks that had a password that generated a passkey and some devices could use either to connect and some only the generated passkey. 

Contributor
carolyncbuckley
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

neonzephyr wrote:

Do any of you have opinions on how the Nook Classic compares to the Nook Color? I'm curious about the e-ink, the lack of touch screen functions, the possibility of taking notes on the books in it, and mainly, it's WiFi connectivity. Does it seem to have the same issues?

I have the classic Nook and love it. I've played a little with the Color, but even after reading a couple pages on it for a few minutes, the screen started to bother my eyes. There's no way I could curl up with it and read for hours. It's like sitting in front of the computer for me, the eye strain would cause me to never read on the Color.The e-ink is just like reading a regular book, much easier on my eyes. With the latest updates, the display is much crisper and details are finer.

I was able to connect my Nook to my WiFi with no issues at all. I simply unlocked my network and it pretty much took care of itself, all I need to enter was my network name and password . I've relocked the network and there are no connectivity issues at all. My Nook connects right away.

I don't mind not having a full touch screen, what's there on the classic is fine and serves it's purpose. I don't surf the web much on it nor have I explored any note taking options, I can say that the keyboard is sensitive and slow to respond at times.

I'm very happy with my Nook and wouldn't trade it for a Color or any of the other tablets.

Contributor
Nookalicious
0 Kudos

Congratulations on your Nook Color purchase :smileyhappy:  I own the Nook Classic.  I may be the minority here, but after playing around with Nook Color at a nearby B&N, I think I actually prefer the simple, non-color Nook :smileyhappy:  I don't mind that it is a simple "book reading" device as that was my reason for getting the Nook in the first place.  Browsing the internet, checking e-mail, etc - all can be done on other devices (blackberry, iphone, ipad, netbook, laptop...etc.)  The web surfing on my Nook Classic is slow, and glitchy.  Not sure how it is with the color version...but I do not use my Nook to do anything else other than to read :smileyhappy:

Connecting to Wi-Fi wasn't an issue for me, so I'm sorry that I can't help there.  My home wi-fi is password protected but I was able to connect without an issue.  Ridiculous that customer support told you to leave your home networkd unprotected so that you can connect your Nook.  Maybe you need to contact your network provider to see if they can help you, OR, try calling B&N again to see if a different customer service rep is helpful (and friendly).

I suppose you can go to a free wi-fi spot to buy/download books.  That is an option too.

Contributor
neonzephyr
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone, for your advice!

I can't seem to resolve the WiFi problem. I've tried everything suggested on this thread and in other posts and called tech support a few times. I didn't think it was too big a deal, though, because I can get it to connect to my work WiFi and have been downloading books there.

So, I read about two books on the device and have realized that the screen is actually giving me headaches! Yikes. Even though I really do like the Nook Color, I really only need it to read novels and not for all the other stuff it can do, and, so, have decided to exchange for a Nook Classic. Fingers crossed that I will love it as much or more.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

dketcham wrote:

Well I just wanted to point out that another option for securing your WIFI is to secure it by MAC address, instead of with a password protection. My nook classic MAC address is available from page 2 under Settings.

Using the Mac address protects you from nothing. If you do not use encryption on your wireless  network you are foolish. I would use nothing less than WPA period.

Frequent Contributor
robodojo
0 Kudos

For what it's worth, I think the wi-fi solution is to get a new router. I had a two year old one and exchanged it for a brand new router and my Nookcolor connected effortlessly. I have no idea what the differences are, but new router + Nookcolor = connection.

I agree that tech support is almost unforgivably bad. I don't get headaches from the Nookcolor--in fact, it is easier for me to read than the classic because I tend to keep low lighting in my home and booklights don't do it for me--but if you combine your reading difficulties and the possibility of increased need for tech support for a more hi-tech item, I would say signs point to a nook exchange. I think the classic is great. 

The kindle 3 is also a very good option, and Amazon's customer support is amazing. You can't check out library books on it, but you can get helpful assistance when you need it.

I am rooting for an improvement in B&N's support. I have a couple of questions with my Nookcolor and I will call them this week to get help for these minor issues. If I find they are clueless and unsupportive, I may return the device and stick with my kindle 3, which I think is just slightly better than the classic nook as an ereader.

New User
rafa44
0 Kudos

To get your Nook color connected to your wi fi try unplugging your modem for 5 minutes and turning off your Nook. After that plug back your modem and then turn on your Nook. I did it and it has been working fine since

Rafa

Frequent Contributor
svsu
0 Kudos

The nook color and nook classic are 2 distinctive gadgets that have very little in common in fact- they should not even be compared together. The nook color will appeal to those who mainly read magazines and news papers and for browsing the web. The original nook is basically a dedicated reader  for text only books.

Inspired Contributor
CritterKeeper
0 Kudos

I also prefer my nook Classic over the color. I however, want it solely for ereading. It's perferct for that purpose! I can read for hours with no headache, and even longer with no dead battery!

I too played with the nook color, but was not impressed. Again, probably because I want an ereader, not a "tablet"

Frequent Contributor
robodojo
0 Kudos

svsu wrote:

The nook color and nook classic are 2 distinctive gadgets that have very little in common in fact- they should not even be compared together. The nook color will appeal to those who mainly read magazines and news papers and for browsing the web. The original nook is basically a dedicated reader  for text only books.

For what it's worth, I don't read magazines or newspapers on my Nookcolor. I have browsed the web a few times, but mostly I like to read books on it. I find it to be a bit more versatile than my classic as far as lighting situations go. Plus, the dictionary, highlighting, etc., are much, much more usable with the Nookcolor. The touchscreen navigation on the classic nook is pretty frustrating for me.

Of course, if I were going to spend a day at the beach or at a park with little shade, I would grab my classic! The screen is better in broad daylight, for sure.

Distinguished Correspondent
CB2010
0 Kudos

I don't get headaches either but I also found the adjustment that will dim or brighten the background lighting. (Don't have have it in front of me or I'd let you know how.)

New User
SherroC123
0 Kudos

I am having the same issue here, If I leave my home wifi open, I can connect the Nookcolor with no problems, the moment I secure the WPA network, requiring a password, the device won't connect.  My laptop connects fine to the secured network, why won't the Nookcolor?

Seriously, I cannot have an open, unsecured network around here, I won't risk that -

Anybody knbow how to solve this? 

Thanks!

Reader 4
JSM2
0 Kudos

I'm very new to the world of e-readers, and, after much on-line investigation and deliberation,have recently purchased a NookColor.  I connected to my secure home wireless network with no trouble using our 14 digit alphanumeric code.  The network uses an old Netgear router and has several devices connected to it.  Perhaps double-check if you entered the correct upper and lowercase letters.

As to the the brightness issue - I did find the brightness uncomfortable until I made changes to the settings.  I read primarily in low light situations, so I tried the NIGHT setting which displays white letters on a black background - there are several other color settings available.  I also lowered the brightness level to the far left.  I can now read for hours at a time in day or night conditions with no eye discomfort at all.

Reader 2
Doreen55
0 Kudos

I'm new to E-readers,but just the nookcolor and love it! Have no problems at all. I love to read but never really read much until I got a E-reader,because paperbacks would never close after reader a few pages would wind up being like a hand fan lol,and hard covers books were always hard to keep open without pages closing,just my feeling on books but with my nookcolor its so much fun to read!

New User
imaginepf
0 Kudos

Hi...I had the same problem. B&N Tech Support initially was terrible. I asked to speak to the manager and told them I wasn't getting off the phone until they helped me connect "their" product to my verizon router.

Well, this is what I discovered.

Most routers automatically give the 10 character (or digit) WEP Key Password. Unfortunately, the nooks won't take the 10 digit key at all. It needs a 26 character (or digit) HEX Key.

I called Verizon, they showed me how to find the HEX 26 character Password on my router and now my nook is connecting just fine.

Thx hope this helps!

Reader 4
stevedaytona
0 Kudos

Just got the Nook Color for my wife and the Nook classic for me.  I only really wanted an ereader and didn't really want to browse the web.

However, tomorrow I shall be taking back my Nook.  The screen is just way too dark.  So much so, that, for me, it is unusable.

I had no trouble getting either device connected to my wireless router.

My wife loves her Nook Color.

Contributor
JessParizek
0 Kudos

I finally messed with the NookColor today. After having my regular Nook for 2 1/2 months now, I don't see the need for the frill. I have a laptop to do my websearching. I have "back up NookBooks" bought and ready to go should I finish one and move on. I always have a regular book in my bag too. I refuse to spend $9.99 for the NookBook if I can get it in paperback or hardcover in the bargin section. Or I can use the coupons we get weekly emailed to us on a bok that makes a new realease hardcover still cheaper than the NookBook price.

i'm an avid reader, the Nook makes it quite handy, but as an avid reader, even at $3-5 a book they add up, if you read like I do!

I really hope the Lend Me fature is altered, if I have a regular book I might loan it up to 10 times, maybe even more. If we rightfully paid for it, why shouldn't we be able to share it with whomever we wish? Obviously they'd have to have the Nook for it to be loaned, but it's the same concept.

Happy Reading.