Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
410boo
0 Kudos

Nook Failure

I have had my Nook for about two months and all of a sudden it won't turn on. We tried to charge it for over two hours and nothing, we tried removing the battery then rebooting and then nothing, we also tried to get it to reboot through the usb connection with the battery both in and out... nothing it won't turn on it won't flash on its completely off. Do i just need to contact customer service? Or is there something else that I can do?

Reader 4
Bood-n-Guts
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Failure

[ Edited ]

Hi 410boo,

I recommend taking the nook to a B&N store so they can perform the following test.  It's a simple test, but you need a second battery that is known to be good and charged.  You may want to have a print-out of this with you in case they haven't run into this situation at that store.

The thing with the nook is that the software controls the charge function (that's why the nook needs to be ON while charging).  It also needs some feedback from the battery to do so.  Sometimes the battery can be so drained that you get a standoff -- the battery needs charging, but the software is not getting info back from the battery, so it doesn't issue the charge command.

To test this you first install a known good, charged battery.  If the nook does not respond you have a defective nook that should be replaced under warranty.  If the nook DOES come to life you know that it was the battery.  Now, with the good battery STILL in the nook, you connect the charge cable and re-install the drained battery (a "hot swap").  You've now given the software the oportunity to issue the charge command.  With a very drained battery it can still take 30 to 45 minutes (usually just 30) to get the battery to the point where the amber charge light will come on.  If the amber charge light does come on, let the unit charge for a good 3 1/2 hours and you should be okay.

If the amber light does not come on after 45 minutes it is safe to say that the battery is defective and, again, should be replaced under warranty.

I've worked on a lot of nooks and only two actually had defective batteries while the rest were just drained, but, just the same, there were two bad ones so it can happen.  Anyway, I recommend taking the nook into a store so that, not only can they test it, but if anything has to be replaced under warranty they can replace the battery or the nook right there in the store, rather than you having to mail it to corporate and waiting a few days for the replacement.

In general, remember to leave your nook in airplane mode, unless you're downloading items or using the web browser, so that the battery will last longer between charges, otherwise your nook will be using the transmitter(s) even when you're not intentionally using them!

Cheers!