Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
ProfReader

Nook Ne1 is now over 3 years old

Well my nook is now over 3 years old and is just as good as new so thank my lucky stars that I got one of the good ones.
Wordsmith
LectorGS

Re: Nook N1E is now over 3 years old

[ Edited ]

My N1E 3G works like a charm.  Compared to the newer devices it is somewhat slow, however, reading from it is still pleasurable and healthy to my eyes.

Lector GS
Reader 4
vicluvs2read

Re: Nook N1E is now over 3 years old

I have had my 1st Edition nook for a while now and it still works.  The only problems I have had have been when B&N servers have had problems.  Don't all electronic devices have hiccups once in a while.  I am going to continue to use mine until it goes to sleep for good.  I just don't see buying a new one yet.  I bought my Nook a little before they came out with some of the newer models so I just want to wait until the last minute to replace mine to make sure I don't buy an out dated model.  I also seem to like the fact that the 1st edition is simple to use.  I am not interested in aps on my e-reader.

Scribe
frantastk

Re: Nook Ne1 is now over 3 years old

Mine will be 3 years old in August. It has been dropped multiple times. It is used by 3 kids who are not always as careful as they should be with electronics (because they're kids!) and still works as well as it did when it was new. I still love that little nook, even though I  now only use the NST. The kids sometimes fight over who gets to use it so I think it may be time to buy myself a new reader soon and pass the NST on to them, too.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

B&N usually announces their new e-ink devices in the spring - it's been May or June in the last couple of years.  So if you're interested in upgrading, I'd wait until then.

Distinguished Correspondent
msmoonlite

I love my N1E. I'll never stop usingit, even after three years. I have the N1E and the NST. When the new one comes out I'll probably get that one too. I keep hearing that dedicated ereaders are on their way out so I want to stock up.

keriflur

msmoonlite wrote:

I keep hearing that dedicated ereaders are on their way out so I want to stock up.

This is how I feel too.

Mercury_Glitch

I really hope the dedicated readers have at least a few more years left.  Tablets are all well and good, but reading on them just feels too different. 

Hopefully companies will develop something better than the screens we've got on the market today. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Distinguished Scribe
luvbooksCM

I still have my Ne1 3g and use it almost daily and love it as much now as when I first got it 3 years ago..It works great and you can't beat it for outdoor reading. The battery doesn't hold a charge for as long as it did 3 years ago, but I'm not at the point where I need to search for a replacement.

I just did my first "upgrade" to the Nook HD 7 a few weeks ago, and I can see that I'm going to like this version as much as my Ne1 (for different reasons). I don't forsee myslef replacing either one of them for years to come (provided they are still working!)

AikiPen

Nook 3g owner (class of Feb 12) Mine still works great and I still love it. My biggest problem is that my library is larger than it can hold. At just over 2 years I got the dreaded button crack but still works great.

Contributor
ChelMcQ
0 Kudos

I still love mine. I have no use for the tablet versions of the Nook. I'm a little jealous of the Glow Nook, but if I buy a second e-reader, it'll likely be the kindle (to cover all my bases). 

I still need to buy a backup battery for my Nook before they disappear.

I survived the Feb 12th Nook class!
Nook - Derry
Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
My problem also is that there is zero memory left and I have to archive to download new books. I keep thinking it is about time for me to upgrade but I hate to buy just now as it seems about time for a new one to come out.
Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

The first edition doesn't hide books. Using a computer it is quite easy to move the books to an SD card.

Baron Wulfraed
Nerdgirljenn
0 Kudos

I do hate to admit that I don't use my 1st edition as often as I once did.  I do find it better to use when the light is brighter.  I use the Nook Tablet for a lot of my reads, but then again, I have magazines on it too.

I love the colour portion to pick the books out, something I didn't like with the later models (and why I didn't go for them).

"The earth laughs in flowers."~Emerson
"Where there is love, there is life." ~Ghandi