Wordsmith
AnnSheridan
0 Kudos

Nook Replacement Battery 1/2 price at Best Buy

If anyone needs/wants a replacement battery for Nook, Best Buy has them on sale for 50% off, $14.95.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=260809784737078902&id=pc...

Contributor
goobysmootcher
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Replacement Battery 1/2 price at Best Buy

Thanks very much.  I am ordering one to have as a backup.

Frequent Contributor
Bugeyed
0 Kudos

If anyone is thinking about getting a replacement LiPo battery just to have one for down the road, thing again. LiPo batteries have a fairly short shelf life if not kept charged. A unique characteristic of lipos is that their life span is a factor of their age since manufacture and not just on the number of charge/discharge cycles. An older battery will not perform as well as a new one,
due solely to its age. I thought about jumping on this deal, as I am expecting my refurbed Nook to arrive next week & I don't know the age of the battery. Wonder if there is a date of mfg. stamp on the battery??? There is a serial number, but don't know if the info is in there.

Cheers,

kev

Inspired Contributor
the_incognito
0 Kudos

Thank you for the heads up, Bugeyed.  I was considering getting a backup for half price, but I guess it ultimately wouldn't be worth it.

Inspired Contributor
luny2ns

I have had mine for almost a year.  Does anyone know how long the battery in our nooks will last?

I picked  a battery up today at BB.  They did not have the sale price on the shelf. but it rang up at the register.

By the way, there were 2 women looking at the Kindle, one actually had one in her hand to purchase.  I talked to them about the nook and I sold each of them a nook.

Inspired Contributor
kathi29
0 Kudos

Thank you! My daughter's battery is wonky and I've been to cheap to buy a new one.

Now I can stop playing the battery swap game.... put her battery in my nook, begin charging process, when it gets at least half way swap it back to her nook and complete charging. What a pain.

Wordsmith
Michael-V

@kathi29,

With regards to setting "high and low battery levels"; our developers have provided these charging recommendations to maximize battery life. 

*Partially discharge the battery rather than fully discharging it. For example, charge your NOOK when you see the low charge alert, rather than continuing to use it until it turns off itself. 

Avoid high temperatures if possible for use and storage
*charge the battery half way before storing your NOOK for a week or 
more. 
*Turn your NOOK off for storage. If you are going to store your NOOK for
more that a week, turn it off. 

You can leave the device plugged in, and it won’t ruin the battery. Allowing the battery to discharge and then fully charge from time to time will extend the overall length of the battery.  However, this won’t be noticed until after several charges.

The NOOK's battery is designed to restrict power once fully charged; this feature allows the user to leave the device charging unsupervised. The orange light indicator (located at the bottom of the device) will turn off when the NOOK is fully charged; also restricting the power source.

To extend reading time battery life...

Update the NOOK to the latest software version.

Turn off the Wi-Fi.

Turn on the Airplane Mode which turns off the 3G antennae.

Set the Color Touchscreen to the shortest time available, 10 seconds.

Set the Color Touchscreen brightness to the lowest comfortable level.

Avoid using the Color Touchscreen.

Turn off the NOOK each night when not being read by pressing the power button for seven seconds.

Charge the NOOK when convenient via a computer USB port or a wall outlet.  The NOOK can be read while charging.  Leave the NOOK in Sleep Mode while charging while not reading.  A NOOK can't be overcharged.