Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
LeaA
0 Kudos

Nook Reviews ?(for people who have bought it)

I'm planning to buy the Nook in a few days/weeks. But I need to know more about it first.

Can anyone give me the cons and pros ?

Frequent Contributor
Larryb52
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Reviews ?(for people who have bought it)

pros: screen clarity- text is easy to read, uses epub can use different stores to purchase books, touch screen makes it easy to use...

cons, battery life could be better, CS is not as good as could be

FWIW I own the nook & kindle & I recommend the Nook...

Contributor
fuzzysimba
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

well here is my feeling

PROs -  it is easy to use, I love the feel of it in the hand, I love that I can change the page while holding it and not have to move, I love that it is clear and easy to read, I love the sleek design to it, I love I can fall asleep while reading then pick it back up and it remembers where I left off.

CONS - battery not great, but I can plub it in the wall or computer not a big deal to me, not recognizing the cover art for my documents, would love the screensaver to change in sleep - mode - - -These will probably be dealt with in the future upgrades

As for  going onto the web, I am one that I do not care because I just wanted something for book and only books.

Also when you get one you start conversation with people and you can show how cool the Nook actually is

Do I problems yep, but it has only been out a short time and it got better with one upgrade so I am hoping it only gets better from here - -

"I cannot live without books" - Thomas Jefferson

Frequent Contributor
la_writer

[ Edited ]

Hi LeaA!

I've had my nook since Jan. 27.  I have had one problem with it.  One book got stuck on formatting, but when the 1.2 update came out a few days later, the book was fixed.  Ever since then, I have not had one problem.  My battery life has been fine.  I don't think I'm getting ten days of battery life out of it - maybe five days.

In my experience, these are the pros (in no particular order):

1. Attractive design
  2. Touch screen
  3. 3G and WiFi
  4. Quick page turns
  5. Good selection of books
  6. Download books directly to device without sideloading
  7. Purchase from multiple stores
  8. Supports Overdrive
  9. Decent battery life
  10. . Wide range of accessories

Cons:

1. Rising prices of ebooks*
  2. Swipe feature requires some practice. 
  3. More in Store and LendMe features don't seem to be as available as promised.

Possible cons I've heard of but haven't experienced:

1. Bad customer service from B&N
  2. Cracks in the bezel
  3. Battery life not as good as promised.

* Prices seemed to have dropped now, but who knows if that will last.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

The price is right, and the ability to sideload content from 10 or 20 different book sources as well as downloading from B&N while standing out in the middle of nowhere (vacations and traveling) is what I like most.

Frequent Contributor
deb53WA
0 Kudos

Have owned the Nook since 12/23 and love it.  Is it perfect?  No! (but what is)  From what I've been reading, I've been fortuante that I've had no issues except for the crack on the bottom right area on the case.  I called, got a replacement and so far so good.

The cons:   The money I'm spending on all these ebooks!  Yes, battery life could be better, but it still hasn't been an issue for me, I just plug it in to charge in the evening.

I wish BN would of had the covers, etc available sooner in the stores.  Today was at a BN that actually had the covers and now am kicking myself for buying the Alice and the Adler covers, would love to own the cover that folds into a 'stand' while reading.  Really cool.

Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
0 Kudos

I've had my Nook for just over 2 months, and I'm quite happy with it.  The battery life and page-turning speeds have improved.  They have also improved the functioning of the touchscreen.  A big pro fo rme is the ability to sideload content from other retailers and libraries.

My biggest beef is with the functioning and pricing strategy (or lack thereof) of the B&N online eBookstore.

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
Frequent Contributor
SmilinGirl
0 Kudos

I have had my nook since early February, and I have truly enjoyed it every moment since.  If you read the users' manuals and/or watch the instructional videos, you shouldn't have any problems with it. 

I carry my nook in my purse, so it is handy to have anytime I have to wait for my kids parked at the school, at the dentist/doctor's office, or even during my lunch break.  Yes, the downside is the money that I'm spending on ebooks, but I'm really saving over the price of hardbacks or even paperbacks!:smileyhappy: The short battery life might be a bigger aggravation for me when traveling,  At home, it is no biggie.

I have been pleased with the number of ebooks that are available.  There are multiple outlets to chose from to purchase, so you can shop for the best price.  The deal with the publishers raising prices really made me angry, but the ebook community held together and it looks like our voices were heard (at least for now!)  I vow never to buy another hardback book again!

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
--Groucho Marx
New User
LeaA
0 Kudos

Great ! It seems good enough for me !!

I'm going to go buy it tomorrow.

Thanks Guys !

You really helped :smileyhappy:

Contributor
lovemyereader
0 Kudos

Hi, I've had my Nook for about 2 weeks now, and have not had any problems. I love it. The battery does not seem to last as long as they said, but its fine with me, I can plug it up as need. I read a lot of reviews too, and was a little skeptical, but I love it. If you decide to get one, hope yours works great for you too.

Frequent Contributor
AkilahR
0 Kudos

vs. Kindle, the Nook uses a common DRM format, so you aren't locked into B&N with the Nook the way you are with Amazon with the Kindle. My wife liked my Nook so much I had to buy her one too.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I love my Nook.  I've not had any problems with it.  Battery life, I don't know.  Since I read 2-4 hours a day, most days, it seems to me it's good.  I can just plug it in each night also, same as I do my cellphone.

The only con, the money I'm spending on ebooks.  It is so easy to buy a book now, that I see one that catches my eye and I press that buy button.  I have some in my wishlist, but the prices are pretty volatile right now, so if it gets to a price point I'm willing to pay, I will generally go ahead and buy it.

Contributor
CanonicalKoi
0 Kudos

Pros: 1500 books (more or less) stored in the size of an oversized paperback.

It's a pretty lightweight device and not uncomfortable to hold.

I won't be toting massive numbers of books when we travel.  Lighter bag, happier back and happier husband if he winds-up moving my bag.  :smileyhappy:

Many older books are free.  Many of Mark Twain's books fall into that category.  There are a lot of historical works (if that interests you) in the public domain which are hard to find in print or horrendously expensive if you can find them that you can get for free via Google books.

The screen is really quite pleasant to read for an extended period of time without eyestrain and the ability to change font and font size is a real plus.

Cons: You have to have a credit card and be willing to let B&N store your card info on their servers whether you want to get only free books or not.

If you're given or purchase an eBook gift card, some of the books come up saying your credit card will be charged for it whether or not you still have funds on the gift card.

It's not the most intuitive design in the world.  Having used a MacBook Pro and an iPod, the controls seem extremely clunky.  Why they didn't make the whole screen a touch pad, I don't know.

Scrolling down lists of books on the store screen to take a look at a particular one is annoyingly slow.  

I really dislike the flash-merge-text-from-both-pages thing it does when you turn a page.  Why they thought that was a good idea, I don't know.

It sounds like I'm ragging on the Nook, but I'm really not.  Having looked at Kindle, the Sony reader and Nook, the Nook seemed like the best deal.  I thought about holding out for an iPad because if Apple knows how to do anything right, it's touch screens, but the size, while nice for reading, could be a real pain while traveling.  (That was certainly the compound sentence from Hades.)  It's just so well done, that the things that are wrong with it seem more glaring and more annoying in comparison.

Distinguished Wordsmith
eDigest
0 Kudos

LeaA wrote:

Great ! It seems good enough for me !!

I'm going to go buy it tomorrow.

Thanks Guys !

You really helped :smileyhappy:

I've had no problems and love the nook, so I think you made a good choice.

Update the post in a couple weeks with your impressions:  tell us how it worked out for you.

Contributor
Mandie80
0 Kudos

I just got mine yesterday and it did freeze up a couple times but I realized it had something to do with it being near my computer, the moment I took it in another room it worked perfectly.

Distinguished Wordsmith
eDigest
0 Kudos

Mandie80 wrote:

I just got mine yesterday and it did freeze up a couple times but I realized it had something to do with it being near my computer, the moment I took it in another room it worked perfectly.

Hmmm ... this has been mentioned a couple of times.  I wonder if this has anything to do with wifi, perhaps it is waiting for login input in the background?

Can you check to see if wifi is on?  If so, turn it off and go back to where you were near your computer and see if it locks up again?

Contributor
LS-Indy
0 Kudos

I've had my Nook for a couple of weeks and have had no problems.  I put in "Airplane" mode so it doesn't waste battery except when I want to download books.  The reading experience is quite enjoyable.  I "swipe" the touch screen to turn the pages so I don't use the side buttons (except for the few seconds waiting for the bottom screen to go out.....).  No problems with the downloads or anything.  The "in-store" features seem to work okay here, although I've only been back to the store twice.  I think the in-store experience is being rolled out gradually....

I started a e-book "wish list" on this site and have a bunch of books I will purchase as needed.  This way I can quickly find something I want to read.  I've noticed the price of some of the items on my list has DEcreased the past few days - glad I didn't buy them sooner!

I've ordered skins (Monet's waterlilies) from Decalgirl and plan to get a "leisure jacket" for outdoor use as it provides some protection from splashes and blowing sand.  Still haven't decided on a cover for everyday use.  Oberon, M-edge or the Industriel Easel covers appeal to me the most.  The M-edge light for sure....

Have you seen the review on Mobile Tech Review?  http://www.mobiletechreview.com/gadgets/nook.htm  This was the deciding factor for me.  I was on the fence for a number of weeks and I'm sooo glad I chose the Nook.  We bought two and registered them to the same account so we can access the same e-library without buying book twice. 

I have nothing but compliments for the Nook - so far.  I waited to hear more about the i-pad, but realized I most of what it offered is on my i-phone.  What I REALLY wanted to buy was a good e-ink reader and that's what the Nook is!

Contributor
Mandie80
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hmmm ... this has been mentioned a couple of times.  I wonder if this has anything to do with wifi, perhaps it is waiting for login input in the background?

Can you check to see if wifi is on?  If so, turn it off and go back to where you were near your computer and see if it locks up again?

My Wifi was turned off

Contributor
hpthecat
0 Kudos

I have had my Nook for about a month. I did all the research---Nook was the most versatile as far as the kinds of e-files it will read, choices for where to purchase books from, the ability to use and SD card.

It has the E-Ink screen, which for me, is the whole point of having an e-reader--to read without my eyes hurting. (At $600 to $800 the iPad doesn't have this). The screen has 16 grades of gray scale like the Kindle, so it's the the crispist non Kindle out there right now.

I am taking a trip soon and knew it would be convenient to have. It's available NOW. For what it is, you can't beat the price---the closest to it will be the Alex by Spring Design, and they will charge $489, and seem to be falling short in getting their product out into the market place on schedule.

The SONY just did absolutely NOTHING for me when I looked at it in Target. It's ugly and confusing and the screen is dark and gray....

Now if I could just pry it out of my daughter's hands...but I hear I can get her one and we can be registered to the same account, so even that is a nice option to have...

PLUS--if you download a children's book, (in case you have to do a little emergency babysitting), it will show the pictures....black n white..but still...I think it's cool....kids always want to 'explore your stuff'....

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

Love it.  I have had very very very few minor problems.  Nothing that has stopped me using it.  It was well worth every penny I paid.

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.