Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
PhazzedOut
0 Kudos

Nook Suggestions

I bought a Nook just because I wanted one and I head the Android OS was running on it so might as well buy this then the Kindle.

I have some suggestions to making it better. First of all, recommend that people download calibre or put it on a disk. It is an open source app, and the license encourages anyone to copy it and distribute. Explicitly state that you (B&N) does not offer support for this third party app. :smileyvery-happy: Awesome program btw. It is cross-platform so it runs on my Ubuntu box great! (Also formats the pdfs perfectly for the nook and of course other ebook readers)

Terminal? Lol just joking.............

I have been looking through my nook and it seems that rotation is not native on the nook. Perhaps adding rotation on the nook would be great. I sometimes have large books and even calibre doesn't format them well.

Make some fixes on the document viewer, it is not great for the programming books I have. Formats them horrible and makes all the font the same so I can not distiguish what is code and what is writing (well I could but it makes it harder)

Maybe adding more formats? CHM, CBZ/R/7/T, etc. CHMs I would prefer since they make great ebook formats.

Take away the games, or keep them. Doesn't matter to me. I don't want them though. Adding a function to removing them would be great.

Calibre works great but lacks some great things. Maybe creating your own cross-platform nook manager? Emphasis on the cross-platform.

Adding cover flow to even the books I bought elsewhere. (Calibre adds covers to every book, a cover flow for those would be a great perk to have)

Development Kit? Maybe?

Also work hard on the nook. The nook still has a great chance to blow kindle and sony reader off it's feet. All you need to do is get good programmers and such to add more features and maybe even a development kit so some teenager could make an app adding to the nooks reputation. I literally bought an iPhone because of one app it had from a third-party source. So think about that.

Thank you.

Don't let the nook community down by releasing larger and smaller versions of the nook while still having the same software.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Suggestions

You've got some decent suggestions, many of them not new.  There are numerous posts on suggestions to improve the nook.

Correspondent
Rasyr
0 Kudos

You would likely want to take a look at the nookdev - http://nookdevs.com/Main_Page - website. It is completely unofficial, and if you follow their instructions for softrooting the nook, it will most likely void your warranty, but some of the things that many people (in many threads!!!!) have asked for can actually be found there.

Hehe... One of my own suggestions was for B&N to conscript those guys and implement some of the things that they have created for the official nook..

Hell, I am sure that they could even ask for volunteers from among this crowd to get  alpha/beta testers who would test new improvements in a live situation (as opposed to under controlled conditions).

Tim Dugger
TANSTAAFL
New User
Royal1

Top of my wish list is a file structure.  I want folders, directories, what ever you want to call them.  I want to be able to search for my sideloaded content by grouping them vs one large unorganized bin, AKA flat display.  Why do they claim you can hold up to 1500 ebooks and yet only display them 10 per page?  Anyone want to flip threw 150 pages?

Please! Please!  1.4 or better yet 1.3.1

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@PhazzedOut,

I have forwarded your suggestions to the appropriate parties and appreciate your feedback.

Thanks for posting!

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Inspired Contributor
justmejh
0 Kudos

I second this PLEASE ad some kind of folder management to the Nook :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

This message has been moved to a more appropriate location. This helps to keep our boards organized.

Contributor
AutismMom
0 Kudos

First off, take out the games.  If I want to play games, I'll go to my desk or laptop. 

Second, make an illumination feature optional.  I'd like my nook to be backlit so I don't have to clip on a book light.  One less thing to worry about, right? 

Third, teach the nook to not count 'A', 'An', or 'The' as part of a title.  Library systems don't, so why would the nook?  I hear there is now a car charger available.  Great!  If this is not true, make it so (as Captain Picard would say). 

Make folders to let us customise our library... i.e.  by author, or genre, or by personal, school use, professional use... 

Include a locking feature that requires a password. 

When books have footnotes, I have NO idea how to access them.  I read 'Little Women' by Louisa May Alcott, and it is set in the 1800s, and there were some references I had no idea as to what they meant.  So, make a button that tunes in to a footnote or reference.  Also, show pictures.  If the book has pics in it, make them available in the ebook.

I'd like to see more books available (no, I am not kidding).  My mother had the Jalna (Whiteoak) series by Mazo de la Roche.  I'd love to start reading that on the nook.  Also a few more rare and most likely out of print books.  At least offer a site to where we can request an ebook that is not available to see if maybe it will be offered in the future.

This is more for the Scripture readers, but be able to jump to pages or straight to chapter and verse with ease.  NOT so right now.

Now for the thing that is my #1 pet peeve:   MAKE THE NOOK STYLUS SENSITIVE!!!! PLEASE ?????  I do not have tiny little fingers and I tell you what, those little squares are!!!  I can do pretty well with a stylus on my touch phone, but when I have to almost 'hunt and peck' with the very tip of my finger on my nook, it is very slow going. 

The nook rocks over the Kindle (any version, in my opinion).  Not too heavy, sleek, not too many buttons to try and decipher.  Menus are pretty easy to navigate.  Nice looking.  and I love the expansion slot up to 16GB.  Will I ever fill it?  Not likely.  However, I like the option of trying to. 

I have read more in the past few months that I have owned the nook than I have in the past few years.  I might try and get one for my mother for Christmas.  My nook was a tax refund splurge, so I will have to save week by week for my mom's in time for Christmas, and hopefully by November the price will go down in a sale or something to entice sales. 

I think the nook will be hear to stay.  I think the majority of the ones out there right now will fade away within five to ten years (probably closer to five).  I think there will be less than ten solid ones at that time.  Nook, Kindle, Sony, and two or three others that will vastly improve with maybe one that is not in the public market now, but will be shortly.

Well, that is a dollar's worth of my two cents. 

*peace*
KS

Oh, for another thread 'What did you name your nook?'  Just my name.  I really did not think about it at the time.  Hm.  Let's see...I'll have to think about it.  After reading some of the funny, imaginative and thought provoking replies here, I'll try to think of something good.

Contributor
AutismMom
0 Kudos

OMGoodness.  I used the wrong context of 'here'  for my last post.  OOPS.  Well, It is 2:14 a.m. and I am tired.  How embarrassing! 

B&N Bookseller
RedRapier

[ Edited ]

1 - you dont like the games, fine, ignore them, but plenty of us DO like them, im not about to go to my laptop or desk while I wait at the doctors office or in line at the DMV

2 - E-ink displays do not allow for illumination, they arent built that way

Footnotes and such are already a feature, if they are there, they are accesible

books that have maps and pics, DO include them, and if they dont, thats the publishers doing, NOT the the Nooks

Certain stylus types ARE usable with the Nook, see this thread :

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/Cell-Phone-Stylus-for-Nook/m-p/555243...

my life is a Soap Opera, and I want a new head writer!
Reader 4
ReadingPanda
0 Kudos

How about a basic store locator that resides on the Nook and can be used without connecting to the internet (although it could be updated when the Nook is connected). An additional feature could be that when the Nook is connected to the internet, maybe the application could use the connection location info to find the nearest B&N. For example, we could go to a Starbucks, connect to the WiFi and find the nearby the B&N stores. Agreed that most people wouldn't need to use the application all the time, but it would be great when traveling.

I was near Union Square in New York City today, but couldn't remember where the nearby B&N was located. I ended up asking at another bookstore.

Frequent Contributor
Maggie_A
0 Kudos

I would love an expanded dictionary - more words and please expand to include foreign words and phrases. Or - please provide a downloadable dictionary that would link to the book you are reading.

I would also love an encyclopedia that would link to the book so I could look up names and other nouns. 

Reader
CCFL
0 Kudos

I have a three suggestions -- would like to know if these would be in the new software.

1. The Find function -- as it stands now, (in terms of the directions in the manual) If you are on page 25 and search of a phrase that happens to be on page 23, the search will not find it. You can search backwards with Find previous, but only if one occurrence is found searching forward.  This doesn't make sense, if you are trying to search who a character is, or something about the charcter that you can't remember it goes forward first then lets you search previous.  But that forward search could take you 50 pages or more forward into the book -- and it can be a plot spoiler because it is taking you into pages that haven't been read yet. There needs to be an option that lets you go back and search for a name, character, phrase. location, without having to go forward first.   

2.  Bring back the "furthest point read" option. In the original software version if you did a previous search, or scrolled back in the book to re-check or re-read something, all you had to do was tap, furthest point read and it would bring you back to the page you were on.  Now, you have to either remember the page and use the scroll function -- which is a little touchy, or you have to set a bookmark first before going back to re-read a section of the book.  The furthest point read was great, because no matter how many pages you went back -- to search or re-read somethng...you could just tap that key and it would bring you right back to the page you were reading.  

3.  Be able to access the books by going to your shelves.  Right now when you click on My Library, then tap on shelves and then tap on go to shelf, it will show you mystery, classics (whatever shelf labels you have) but you can't scroll up or down through the individual titles and you can't access those titles from that shelf either.  If you take the time to make shelves, it would be nice to have the buttons (in the library function) that allow you to scroll up and down as well as having that acesss button to open up the book from the shelf. 

Thanks for the time and attention, love the Nook!

New User
Nookerton
0 Kudos

Hi,

so I have a NookTouchSimple, really love it, I really do.  But I bought an ebook called Here There Be Dragons by James A. Owen, and the publisher's default or restriction is really bugging me, because when the published margins are too wide for me to read; I read like five words every line, and the font size is small at an 8 or 9, and the margins are the widest they will spread.  But it's bothering me to read because our eyes are horizontal, not vertical, so it's kinda hard to read, and I bought the Nook for reading convenience.  Please fix?

Thanks