Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
tabascobaby
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Update

@Andy... I left his library and looked at the daily and then settings went back hit check for new content and it WORKED! I was so happy, cause frankly we always have trouble getting his nook to update or whatever. We even once had to do a hard reset

Distinguished Correspondent
PBReilley
0 Kudos

AndyfromVA wrote:

Holy $%^&!

I downoladed 1.6 and my Nook 1E turned into a Nook 2E!! :smileyhappy:

LOL!:smileyvery-happy:

My Nook1 (wifi only) is always left in airplane mode - when I saw this thread I turned on the wifi and it downloaded, installed, and I'm back to reading. Don't notice anything different ......yet. 

Correspondent
tabascobaby
0 Kudos

PBReilley wrote:

AndyfromVA wrote:

Holy $%^&!

My Nook1 (wifi only) is always left in airplane mode - when I saw this thread I turned on the wifi and it downloaded, installed, and I'm back to reading. Don't notice anything different ......yet. 

The update isn't anything that we will notice. It has something to do with "the cloud" where everything is contained.

Inspired Correspondent
ynot22
0 Kudos

tabascobaby wrote:

The update isn't anything that we will notice. It has something to do with "the cloud" where everything is contained.

Does anyone know where this cloud that contains everything is located?

it must be huge! My needs and wants are not many, but there are a few things I'd like to get.

How do I get to this cloud?

***Without order there is chaos.
Without some degree of chaos there will be no change in the established order.
Sometimes change is necessary, but only if I say it is.***
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

tabascobaby wrote:

PBReilley wrote:

AndyfromVA wrote:

Holy $%^&!

Except for the people whose SD cards stopped working.  They noticed it.

Inspired Contributor
tattooedmommie
0 Kudos

I try the "Check for new content" as my instructions say but nothing downloads... hrm.

-- Jonna

When the Power of Love becomes stronger than the Love of Power, the world will know peace - Jimi Hendrix
Inspired Contributor
tattooedmommie
0 Kudos

Actually, I just rebooted again and now the update notification is gone.

-- Jonna

When the Power of Love becomes stronger than the Love of Power, the world will know peace - Jimi Hendrix
Contributor
melora81
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I for one have noticed it, to say the least.

I was reading a book by Chesterton, when suddenly the nook said it was installing an update. After it got done and restarted, nothing on the SD card (which is where I keep my documents) was visible. I shut down, pulled the SD card and used a card reader to connect to a computer. All the epubs are on there. Put the SD card back into the nook and started up. Nook showed nothing on there. Connected the nook to the computer via USB; shows both the SD drive and the nook internal drive. Everything is on there. Safely removed the drives and restarted the nook. Nook shows nothing on there. I've cycled the nook multiple times and there's no change.

I did a little experiment. With the nook connected to the computer, I copied the epub I was reading from the SD card drive to the nook internal drive. Now the nook shows that document in My Documents. When I selected it to read, it went to the page where I had been reading it (before the "update").

I'm not too upset, because I haven't actually lost any data. But I am a little bit annoyed and hope B&N will be forthcoming with an explanation. Did they not test the update with nooks with SD cards installed? That's very hard to believe.

Update: Sandisk 16 GB. actually contains 8.6 MB of files; nook says it has 85.19 MB available and a total size of 242.11 MB.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

keriflur wrote:

Yeah, but that's two three of us so far.  Two.  Three.  I hardly think it constitutes "an issue" with the upgrade if only two three users are affected.  And I'm one of that two three..

Let's wait to see how many report before we start scaring anyone.

Distinguished Correspondent
MegSLP
0 Kudos

My NOOK apparently didn't want the update. It is nowhere to be found. I shall take this as a blessing in disguise! LOL!
Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

Ironic that an unannounced update that is supposed to have no noticeable effect has apparently caused people to notice because of a large, unintended negative effect.

I notice BN unstickied (maybe deleted?) the 1.6 wish list thread

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

keriflur wrote:

Yeah, but that's two three of us so far.  Two.  Three.  I hardly think it constitutes "an issue" with the upgrade if only two three users are affected.  And I'm one of that two three..

Let's wait to see how many report before we start scaring anyone.

My concern is that while there are three people reporting the issue, there aren't any people reporting that they have SD cards and their cards are working.  So our sample set here, while tiny, is 3 out of 3.  :smileysad:

If I had an SD card in my N1E, I would not want to run this update on those odds.

Contributor
julie42
0 Kudos

My sd card is not working either. Also, it recognizes the sd card but doesn't say the correct amount of space is free on it. I have music on the Sd card and the nook will not recognize it either.
Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

I got this update notice on my nook two days ago. I just ignored it  because my Nook is rooted.

Frequent Contributor
wrapunzel
0 Kudos

MegSLP wrote:
My NOOK apparently didn't want the update. It is nowhere to be found. I shall take this as a blessing in disguise! LOL!

Mine also.  I even rebooted to force the update.  Nothing!  And after reading all these posts, maybe I will rethink my efforts!

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:
RE:  Worked in v1.4, broken in v1.5

Mutilevel ToC:  

• The Passage ToC now displays properly.  
  • Part 1 and the individual chapters, etc....  
  • You cannot interact with the ToC; ie click on one and go there.  (I don't remember if you ever could with this book, though.)
  • You can use the "Go to Chapter --> 3 and be at Part 1, Chapter 3.

EAN13-ePub.v1.epub:

• Still broken.  When trying to open one, error message:  Cannot open book - unsupported file type appears.

Cover Images:

• When jumping from a sideloaded book with cover image (The Passage) to a sideloaded public library book with no cover image (The Name of the Wind) I do not see the cover image of the previous book.  I see no cover image; menu options are left-justified.

Two out of three ain't bad? 

TOC is still broken for me on books with multilevel TOC. And the cover of previous book showing up is still happening here. On the plus side, it looks like there are no new bugs on my end. And I was able to read while I waited at the Y with no problems.

Frequent Contributor
sf_az
0 Kudos

julie42 wrote:
My sd card is not working either. Also, it recognizes the sd card but doesn't say the correct amount of space is free on it. I have music on the Sd card and the nook will not recognize it either.

I have tried everything I can think of to get the card to work.  I even took everything off of the card, reformatted the card and put everything back on and still nothing.  I've given up and moved all the books from my card onto the nook.  My sd card is now empty, but the nook says the card only has 28% available memory on it.  Very strange and very irritating, but at least my books are still available.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

My concern is that while there are three people reporting the issue, there aren't any people reporting that they have SD cards and their cards are working.  So our sample set here, while tiny, is 3 out of 3.  :smileysad:

Still tiny and statistically insignificant, but several of my IRL friends with NOOKs who consider me the guru (laughable!) have messaged me that this happened to them as well.  :smileysurprised:

It might be more widespread than I, in my Pollyanna channeling, previously thought.

Now we can panic.  :smileyvery-happy::smileytongue::smileywink:

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I'm wondering, for those where the SD card isn't working, what type of SD card is it and how big is it?  Maybe there's something common here.

I'm assuming, like other updates, this one will only install over WiFi, so as long as I leave WiFi off, I can still use the 3G.  Anyone know if this is true?

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos