Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Update

[ Edited ]

Nallia wrote:

ROFL.

@bklvr896 - mine is a Transcend 4GB micro SD card.  

I usually buy SanDisk, but when we were up for renewal on cell phones I got a deal through Wirefly.  (Verizon would have charged me well over $300.  I got three phones for $58!  :smileyvery-happy:)  A coupon code added one 4 GB SD card per phone to my cart (for free!) so I took them.  Mom's phone didn't need an SD card - it's a basic old lady flip phone - and mine came with a 16GB pre-installed so we had two extra.

I put one of the extras in NOOK because I had it.

Maybe it's the brand? 

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

Nallia wrote:

ROFL.

@bklvr896 - mine is a Transcend 4GB micro SD card.  

I usually buy SanDisk, but when we were up for renewal on cell phones I got a deal through Wirefly.  A coupon code added one 4 GB SD card per phone to my cart (for free!) so I took them.  Mom's phone didn't need an SD card - it's a basic old lady flip phone - and mine came with a 16GB pre-installed so we had two extra.

I put one of the extras in NOOK because I had it.

Maybe it's the brand? 

I dunno, which is why I thought it might be a good idea to get some idea of the brand and size.

I'm just not going to load the update for a while until this is worked out, I don't have time to mess with all of this.  I just had my house painted, new carpet installed and my parents are showing up tomorrow for a weeks visit.  I've to get at least the guest room and bath cleared out and ready for them.

Contributor
edmonddantes74
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@ sf_az: Hey did rebooting the device work for you?

Distinguished Correspondent
PBReilley
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

tabascobaby wrote:

PBReilley wrote:

AndyfromVA wrote:

Holy $%^&!

I downoladed 1.6 and my Nook 1E turned into a Nook 2E!! :smileyhappy:

LOL!:smileyvery-happy:

My Nook1 (wifi only) is always left in airplane mode - when I saw this thread I turned on the wifi and it downloaded, installed, and I'm back to reading. Don't notice anything different ......yet. 

The update isn't anything that we will notice. It has something to do with "the cloud" where everything is contained.

Except for the people whose SD cards stopped working.  They noticed it.

There you go.

Sure, I read Sam's post about "internal only" before I updated. But what B&N says will or will not happen isn't always what does happen once the update is pushed out to us users.

Contributor
julie42
0 Kudos

Mine is a sandisk 16gb. Nook says I've only got 22% (gulp!) free but I know there is 99% free. Does anyone know if it is safe to try to Reinstall v 1.5 or is that a big no-no?
Frequent Contributor
sf_az
0 Kudos

edmonddantes74 wrote:

@ sf_az: Hey did rebooting the device work for you?

I shut off and restarted my nook several times.  I tried putting in my card with the nook on and then turning it off and putting it in when the nook was off then turning it on.  I even took everything off of my card then reformatted my sd card and put everything back on and that did nothing.  I thought about unregistering it and then reregistering it, but I didn't want to reshelve everything.  I'm out of ideas.

Frequent Contributor
sf_az
0 Kudos

julie42 wrote:
Mine is a sandisk 16gb. Nook says I've only got 22% (gulp!) free but I know there is 99% free. Does anyone know if it is safe to try to Reinstall v 1.5 or is that a big no-no?

Mine is a sandisk 4GB.  Nook says I've got 28% free even though I wiped the card so it should be almost completely free.

New User
AndrewPalmer
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

keriflur wrote:

Except for the people whose SD cards stopped working.  They noticed it.

Yeah, but that's two three of us so far.  Two.  Three.  I hardly think it constitutes "an issue" with the upgrade if only two three users are affected.  And I'm one of that two three..

Let's wait to see how many report before we start scaring anyone.

My microSD card isn't reading now after 1.6 upgrade. Data's still there but the card is seen in settings as only 242.11 MB instead of 8GB.

Frequent Contributor
_deb_
0 Kudos

Is it just me or was there absolutely NO notice that this update was coming?  While I know that is not uncommon on some devices, it is not the MO for BN and the Nook devices.  Now if lil ol' me could figure out that an unannounced update on a device where people have been asking about said update for a while now would cause this type of uproar and confusion.....then I am either severely underpaid at my job or someone at BN is way overpaid :smileyhappy:

Hope to see you later at...

New User
Halifano
0 Kudos

Same microSD issues here.  Have an 8 Gig card that was working fine until this afternoon when the 1.6 update was pushed out.  Now it won't see any of the content on that card and reports a tiny fraction of the available memory.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

_deb_ wrote:

Is it just me or was there absolutely NO notice that this update was coming?  While I know that is not uncommon on some devices, it is not the MO for BN and the Nook devices.  

This is why I don't think it was supposed to be released today.  I think it slipped through and Sam had to play damage control after she caught us talking about it.  :smileysurprised:

Reader
krazy57
0 Kudos

Sent a text my son, who is at work when my nook started to update. He works at B&N. They know nothing of any updates. Course he says they are mushrooms. Kept in the dark and fed $*it :robottongue:

So no surprise. Mine updated. I see no difference. Everything is still there. I don't have SD card installed. So no issues there.

Frequent Contributor
sf_az
0 Kudos

I also noticed when I open ADE it no longer recognizes my sd card.  It used to come up with a nook and a nook sd icon and now it just lists nook.  Maybe because I took my card out and reformatted it?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

ADE never recognized my SD card in the first place, so library books always went on NOOK's main memory because it wasn't a big enough deal for me to try and figure out why.  :smileyvery-happy:

Contributor
melora81
0 Kudos

The official notice says only that 1.6 is "minor system updates." That's better than earlier today, when the latest version shown was 1.5.

Is anyone out there with 1.6 and an SD card having success using their SD card?

Frequent Contributor
jesla
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Update - SD Card issues

[ Edited ]

As reported by (at least) one other person, my nook seemed to recognize my SD card after the update but:

• None of my books appear in my documents
  • The size information is incorrect
  • The books were still showing on the card when I connected the nook to my PC
  • The books are still on the card when I take the card out and read it with a card reader
  • Rebooting did not help
  • Taking the card out then putting it back in did not help
  • Taking the books off the card then putting them back on it did not help
  • Putting the books directly on the device works fine...but I don't want them there

For now I've moved the books (there were only 7) to the main memory and removed my card.  I've reformatted it and plan to put it back into my nook to see what happens.  But not right now.  I'm really ticked off by this and need to step away from it for a while.  Maybe I'll read a book... :smileywink:

For informational purposes my card is a Kingston 4GB HC and has previously given me zero trouble.  The nook itself does not seem to have been affected by this update - at least not in any way that I can discern.

A side note:  My husband is convinced we have all been hacked.  The lack of "Official Word" is beginning to make that look like a plausible explanation.  :smileysurprised:  Can I panic now?

***Posted this then saw the previous post regarding "the official word," went to the support page and read it for myself, came back here to edit my reply.  Still very confused about the SD card situation though.  And just as ticked off as before.

Frequent Contributor
sf_az
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

ADE never recognized my SD card in the first place, so library books always went on NOOK's main memory because it wasn't a big enough deal for me to try and figure out why.  :smileyvery-happy:

I got ADE to recognize my card again, but the nook still won't.  I'm glad to read on here that I'm not the only one having this problem.  I'm usually pretty good at computer fixes, but this one seems to be a nook issue not a user issue.

Contributor
melora81
0 Kudos

jesla, that is an exact summary of the situation I'm facing, too. Except for the brand and size of the SD card. And I have quite a few more books than that. I think that the books are still there, intact, so I'm not reformatting the card. If/when the software gets fixed, they'll be accessible again.

Frequent Contributor
sf_az
0 Kudos

I just tried copying the my documents file to the sd card.  That didn't work either.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

julie42 wrote:

You need to unregister the device and do a Factory Fallback first. Then it "should" be safe to install v1.5

A Facory Fallback will reformat the user partition on the internal drive and restore the software version installed when you purchased the nook. This will also require you to register your nook and download your library again.

If you do the Factory Fallback without unregistering, the BN server still has your device listed as registered but the nook itself thinks it needs to be registered. Because the server already has the device listed as registered you will not be able to register it again. This is the way it has worked for me in the past.

Overall it's a major PIA. Personally I would move the book I am currently reading to the internal drive and wait for BN to sort this out with another update.

One potential problem you may run into down the road if you do not update is that eBooks will not automatically download in the future and eventually you may not be able to register your device if that becomes necessary. You will also have killed the wifi capability of your device. Anytime you enable wifi your nook will try to download the update.