Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Update

gstone wrote:

Overall it's a major PIA. Personally I would move the book I am currently reading to the internal drive and wait for BN to sort this out with another update.

gstone is wise.

(Of course I think so.  This is what I did, along with the rest of that series.  :smileywink:)

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

@ Ya_Ya

I haven't installed update 1.6 yet but I just connected my nook to the pc to check something. When I launched Nook for PC it asked me for an Adobe ID and password. In sync window for xfering books back and forth, the SDHC is listed in the drop down list but nothing is showing as being present.

I assume you have installed Nook for PC and ADE. Try using Nook for PC to copy a book to your SD card. Nook for PC uses the ADE folder and that may be part of the problem.

Frequent Contributor
iharley
0 Kudos

I would like to add my hat in the microSD card problem. Computer recognizes the card when out of the nook, but when in the nook my Mac doesn't recognize it and wants to initialize it. Nook also shows I have 91.89 megs of 242.11 megs free... on an 8 gig card. microSD card people, are any of you using Calibre to handle your library? Just a thought.

Nook_Engineer
0 Kudos

Our engineers are investigating the issues that people are seeing with the 1.6 update.

If you're seeing a problem after the 1.6 update, can you help us with a bit more information about the problem?

1. What size is your microSD card?

2. What is the brand of the card?
3. What size does Settings report your microSD card as being?

4. How many MB of books do you have on the card?

5. How many individual books do you have on the card?

6. What other types of files do you have on the card?

7. Does performing a "Check for new content" while in Library/My Documents help anything?

We do know that after booting up, the NOOK will need to rescan the microSD card. If you have a large number of files on the card, the scan can take quite long (in some cases 30+ minutes). During the period that the device is scanning, it will display "No Items" in the library for "My Documents". Occasionally the popup dialog that tells you that a scan is going on will not display.

Reminder: If you remove your microSD card, you'll need to reboot your device after reinserting it.

Thanks for your help,

-Jeffrey

NOOK Program Management

Frequent Contributor
iharley
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks Jeff, here's what I got:

1. What size is your microSD card? 8 gigs, 7.93 gigs formatted, with 7.64 free

2. What is the brand of the card? Sandisk
3. What size does Settings report your microSD card as being? 91.88 of 242.11 free

4. How many MB of books do you have on the card? 261.6 megs

5. How many individual books do you have on the card? ~100

6. What other types of files do you have on the card? Primarily ePUBS wit a couple PDFs and a calibre info file

7. Does performing a "Check for new content" while in Library/My Documents help anything? This didn't do anything for me.

I wanted to add that my computer fails to recognize the microSD card when it is in the Nook, but has no problems when not in the Nook.

Frequent Contributor
jesla
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Update - SD Card issues (update)

Update to previous post:  Reinserted the reformatted and empty SD card then rebooted the nook.  No change.

As to the questions posted by Nook_Engineer:

1. What size is your microSD card?  4gb

2. What is the brand of the card?  Kingston
3. What size does Settings report your microSD card as being?  242.11MB

4. How many MB of books do you have on the card?  None (I removed them and reformatted)

5. How many individual books do you have on the card?  Prior to reformatting - 7 books, 1 document

6. What other types of files do you have on the card?  epub & pdf (again, prior to reformatting)

7. Does performing a "Check for new content" while in Library/My Documents help anything?  N/A, due to reformat

I hope a fix is coming.  If not, is B&N going to pay for a new SD card that will work in my Nook?  (Rhetorical question)

Contributor
melora81
0 Kudos

1. What size is your microSD card? 16GB

3. What size does Settings report your microSD card as being? 242.11 MB

4. How many MB of books do you have on the card? 8.6 MB

5. How many individual books do you have on the card? 27

6. What other types of files do you have on the card? they are all .epub files and there aren't any other files on there

7. Does performing a "Check for new content" while in Library/My Documents help anything? nope, doesn't help at all

I want to say that the SD card isn't recognized in the nook OS; but if I connect the nook to a computer, or remove the SD card and connect it to a computer using a card reader, it is recognized just fine. As far as I can tell, the content is okay, the nook is just not accessing it now.

I hope this helps. Thanks.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

gstone wrote:

@ Ya_Ya

When I launched Nook for PC it asked me for an Adobe ID and password. In sync window for xfering books back and forth, the SDHC is listed in the drop down list but nothing is showing as being present.

My NOOK shows up as a destination in NOOK for PC, but the SD card doesn't.

I definitely have ADE installed - I <3 the library, :smileywink: - and have always had NOOK for PC installed in order to back up my B&N Library.  

In any case, I'll just work around the SD card until a fix is released.

Contributor
julie42
0 Kudos

1. What size is your microSD card? 16gb

3. What size does Settings report your microSD card as being? 53.79mb/242.11mb

4. How many MB of books do you have on the card? 42.3mb

5. How many individual books do you have on the card? 23 books plus some music

6. What other types of files do you have on the card? ePUBS, pdb, PDF and a calibre info file  also some music mp3 files

7. Does performing a "Check for new content" while in Library/My Documents help anything? This did not change anything.

As others have stated, I can view the files on the card through the computer, they just don't show up through the Nook.  All my files still appear to be on the card.  Thanks so much for quickly looking into this!

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Not entirely certain I understand/know the answres to all of these, but will try. As a note first, like others, it shows my SD card in settings, but none of the books show up in My Documents. When plugged into the PC, it shows all of the titles there on the card.
I have turned the device off and on numerous times. I took out the card, then put it back in and rebooted. I have also cheked for new content while in My Documents.  Still nothing.  

Nook_Engineer wrote:

Our engineers are investigating the issues that people are seeing with the 1.6 update.

If you're seeing a problem after the 1.6 update, can you help us with a bit more information about the problem?

1. What size is your microSD card?

- 8GB (I think(

2. What is the brand of the card?

- SanDisk
3. What size does Settings report your microSD card as being?

- 76.53MB/242.11MB (31%) [this would be one of those I am not certain I understand. 

4. How many MB of books do you have on the card?

- I don't know

5. How many individual books do you have on the card?

-57, I think

6. What other types of files do you have on the card?

- just books. I think all are EPUB

7. Does performing a "Check for new content" while in Library/My Documents help

anything?

- no.  

Lisa B

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

Ya_Ya wrote:

Nallia wrote:

ROFL.

@bklvr896 - mine is a Transcend 4GB micro SD card.  

I usually buy SanDisk, but when we were up for renewal on cell phones I got a deal through Wirefly.  A coupon code added one 4 GB SD card per phone to my cart (for free!) so I took them.  Mom's phone didn't need an SD card - it's a basic old lady flip phone - and mine came with a 16GB pre-installed so we had two extra.

I put one of the extras in NOOK because I had it.

Maybe it's the brand? 

I dunno, which is why I thought it might be a good idea to get some idea of the brand and size.

I'm just not going to load the update for a while until this is worked out, I don't have time to mess with all of this.  I just had my house painted, new carpet installed and my parents are showing up tomorrow for a weeks visit.  I've to get at least the guest room and bath cleared out and ready for them.

Count me in the "wifi is off until this is fixed" group.  I have almost 600 books on my card and not much time to read, much less fix something that isn't currently broken!

@bklvr, put your Mom's N2E down and get to cleaning!  :smileywink:

I'll be back in Cali in a couple of weeks and will have more time then to deal with something like this but for now - I'm just glad I was late to the party and hadn't already downloaded it.

New User
Clark109
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

1. Turn the NOOK on, take SD card out, put back in, turn NOOK on.

2. Android phone is a whole different thing. The NOOK app on it is not as good as the NOOK itself. Therefore, it has more updates to make it better NVM!!!! This is only if your android phone is updating NOOK app, and if NOOK doesn't recognize micro-SD card