Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
acreader
0 Kudos

Nook What I Like, What I don't

I've had my Nook about a month now and have really enjoyed the device.  I travel frequently and it cuts down on the number of documents I need to carry.  I would definitely recommend to others and I have not had any software issues with my Nook.  So here's my review:

What I Like:

1)  Open Formats - I bought the Nook because of the format support.  I have acquired books from B&N, Fictionwise, Google and my local library.  I really enjoy the variety of ebook sources available on the Nook.  This is the strongest point for the Nook.

2)  Size - As i mentions I travel quite a bit and the size of the Nook is very convenient.  A bit thicker than the Kindle, but  shorter and narrower.  Pure personal preference but it fits my briefcase and carry-on perfectly.

3)  WiFi Support - WiFi is faster than the 3G network at my house but there are issues as well (see don't likes below).

4)  Touch screen - Like it better than keypads and typing.  Feels more intuitive.

Don't Likes:

1)  Limited (but growing) # of Periodicals - I like to read magazines when I fly and there is a limited number available.

2)  WiFi - Most hotels require a username and login for WiFi inserted into a browser.  Nook WiFi doesn't support.  WiFi is great if you know the router security (like my house), but I can't connect at most hotels, offices and coffee houses. However, the 3G network covers well(if you are in the U.S.).  As I am frequently outside the U.S., I need to use my laptop connection if I want to buy new books and WiFi would be brilliant for this situation.  Also B&N does not support ebook purchases outside the U.S. (but Fictionwise and others will let you buy from overseas).

3)  "More in Store" features - They don't work, period!  B&N advertises free books in the store, but when you go to download the feature doesn't work.  Minor issue, but it bugs me given the advertising by B&N.

Its easy to rant and rave on the negatives, but like I said, overall the device has been great. I could think of dozens of improvements (faster software, email reader, calendar, browser....oh yeah and don't forget cheaper ebooks (but I guess Apple and Amazon have killed that)), but I am very happy with my Nook.

Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

Re: Nook What I Like, What I don't

Actually I had no problem with connecting with WiFI at a resort/hotel, go into WiFI setting and choose add and if the hotel doesn't have encription it will connect without issue and if it does need some info you can add there.  I asked at the front desk the name of the WiFi and connected without a problem

New User
FireRunner
0 Kudos

You can add a username and password to the Wi-Fi feature.  Look again.  I do it all the time including at home with my secured Wi-Fi.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

FireRunner wrote:

You can add a username and password to the Wi-Fi feature.  Look again.  I do it all the time including at home with my secured Wi-Fi.

FireRunner - you're misunderstanding the OP's problem.  Yes, the nook can take a username/password for an SSID WiFi network (like in your house, or my house, which has WPA2 security).

What the Nook CAN'T do is log on to any wifi network that requires you to enter a username and password, or otherwise agree to terms of service, that appear on a web page, like many hotels use.  So, if I go to the Marriot, I can get on their wifi with my computer, because when I go to my internet browser it automatically redirects me to the Marriot's service provider's web page, which then requires me to do any number of things (confirm I'm a hotel guest, give a cc number, agree to abide by TOS).  The nook, because it lacks a web browser, cannot do this.  

Correspondent
rfruth
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

how about the cheesy internal speaker(s) :smileysurprised: 

N1E - HD+ soon ?
Frequent Contributor
Teski
0 Kudos

acreader wrote:

3)  "More in Store" features - They don't work, period!  B&N advertises free books in the store, but when you go to download the feature doesn't work.  Minor issue, but it bugs me given the advertising by B&N.

I haven't had any issues with this. I've been into B&N a few times with my daughter and have sat there pulling down the current free books while she looks around.