Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
theeric
0 Kudos

Nook WiFi not working

I'm worried something might seriously be wrong with my Nook Touch.  It connects to my home WiFi (at least is says it connects), but when I go to Shop, it just spins and spins.  I know my WiFi is fine since my laptop works woth no problems.  I tried to deregister my Nook, but that just hangs too.

Any suggestions/comments?

Thanks.

Eric

Distinguished Bibliophile
Darkkin

Re: Nook WiFi not working

[ Edited ]

Have you turned your Nook completely off and tried restarting it?  That usually works to kick Nook of its infinite looping cycle.  If not try  http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Technical-Support/bd-p/nooksupport or call 1-800-THE-BOOK.  I will add this note.  They were messing with the servers last night.  The shop portion of bn.com was up, but the boards and the shop on nook were down.  I know it wasn't my WiFi because I reset my computer, my NC, and my router.  All of the other web pages I checked worked as they should.  It has happened several times before.

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

keriflur

What router do you have?  Does it have speedboost?

Also, when you're seeing the issue, go into settings and then wireless.  Check to see if the status says "connected, testing" or "connected, no internet"

If your router has speedboost, you nook will connect but you won't be able to access the internet (i.e. shop, download, etc) and you'll see one of the two messages above.  This can also happen with certain routers when run on mixed g/n.  If your router does not have speedboost but you're running mixed g/n, you might want to try running g-only or n-only.

The N2E is really touchy with certain routers and network types, moreso than the N1E.  If your nook works at B&N or at Starbucks or other AT&T wifi hotspots, then it is an issue with your router connecting to your nook, as opposed to something being wrong with the nook.

New User
theeric
0 Kudos

How do I turn it completley off?  I always just push the top button to turn it off.

My router is a Linksys WRT54g.  It's a few years old.  This connectivity problem only started a few days ago.  Prior to that I had no connectivity problems at home.  I haven't tried it at a BN store yet or on any other WiFi.

keriflur

When you push the button in, hold it in for at least 20 seconds.  This will turn the nook off completely.

New User
Sharp1147
0 Kudos

I have the same exact router and have the same problem you have.  I have been connecting just fine and all of a sudden...I get the "connected..testing" message and end up with error 105.  I haven't changed anything with my router at all and other devices in the house can connect with no problems.  I can use my nook at other wi-fi locations with no problems at all.  Did you fix your problem?  If so, how did you do it?

Thanks!

New User
nookfirsttimeuser
0 Kudos

It sounds to me that Nook IT folks needs to improve the way Nook handles errors. What I mean is that, after an error happens, it should be cleared completely (flushed away). With Nook, it seems that when an error happens, it stays in memory.

for instance, I got an issue while Nook tried to connect to my wifi and had that for a full day, but next day it worked fine. so be aware that turning it off and waiting for sometime, may completely sends the error or issue away. Besides that it is a great tool.

Also, remember, home WIFI may needs sometime to be recognized and eventhough it appears that Nook can not connect, it later or after a while it can connect.

Finally, I got to say, I love Nook, I am even able to get my iphone (who has full internet connection in my job), turn on the hot spot in my phone, and let Nook find my iphone hotspot, connect to it and get in the internet via my iphone. In this way, Nook to my iphone hotspot and my iphone to the secured WIFI at my job.

It seems really a great tool and I am talking about the small one (nook small HD).

I was not confident yet on the big Nook and I am not familiar with it.

marcioramoscoelho@gmail.com

Inspired Contributor
BassmanMT
0 Kudos

It likely was the B&N servers, not your connection, that didn't work the other day. The Nook doesn't store errors.