Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Library_Alexandria
0 Kudos

Nook and My Father...

Just thought I would pass this one along...

My father through the years has collected literally hundreds of books that he always wanted to read, but each and every year that he takes his ocean voyages, he can never really settle on which books to bring along.  Now with the cost of travel weighing the bags by the pound, it's hard than ever for him to take all the books that he wants to bring.

Problem solved.

My wife and step-sons bought me a Nook for Christmas last year and it took me about six months to really fall in love with it.  For his birthday this year, we bought him one and it took my Dad about three days to do the same thing and he's now at something over 200 books in one month stored on it.  Many of the titles he never thought he would find again.  Civil War journals, diaries from soldiers in the field, out of print books, one of kind books and many, many more.

Now, my oldest step-son has joined the team and for Christmas this year, he would like a SD card for the Nook, because he is running out of space.  Yes, he is literally downloading hundreds of books a month on it.

As for me, I've loaded music on mine, almost a thousand books (the vast majority of them for free), dozens and dozens of backgrounds and screen savers.  I've stopped buying books all together and have been converted to the 'dark side' (or borgified) and I like it! 

If there is a complaint, it's that many of the books that I've paid for and download seem to use a dumb OCR program that can't understand the difference between '1' and 'I' or see 'e' as a 'c', which makes it difficult at times to understand what is happening in the story line.  I fully understand when that happens with a FREE download, because there is no one to proof read it, but one I've paid for should have had someone proof read it for such simply mistakes.

For Christmas this year, I will be buying my wife one, which stop her from buying the hard bound novels that she loves, besides she's been bugging me for a iPad, which she has decided maybe it would be better to have a Nook instead.

C.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree

Re: Nook and My Father...

@Library_Alexandria

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

For free books, give manybooks.net a try.  I've found their quality to be better than Google books.

Have fun with all your Nooks!

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Speaking of the ipad, I watched my ipad owning friend buy three new paperbacks today.   She loves her ipad for watching movies, etc, but I don't think reading on it is a main reason.

Distinguished Wordsmith
aditya
0 Kudos

@ABthree

Thanks for the link. The quality and selection is truly wonderful! Found all the Wodehouse books I've been meaning to get :smileyhappy:. The best thing is the classification by genre (not something one finds easily on free book sites, especially for the older books).

The cake is a lie.
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@aditya

You're welcome -- glad you like it.

I've been very happy with the books I've found there -- and now I have to look for those Wodehouse books, too, now that you've reminded me! :smileyvery-happy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Distinguished Wordsmith
aditya
0 Kudos

Oooh! A fellow Wodehouse fan :smileyhappy:. After reading the Jeeves books way too many times, I've been rereading (and re-re-reading) the Psmith books. I still laugh out loud when I get to some scenes from Psmith and the city (Comrade Jarvis! :smileyvery-happy:). I blame too much Wodehouse as a kid for my annoying verbosity :smileytongue:.

By the way, another nice thing about that site is that they have Qcode tags for every single book. If you have any smartphone from the past 5 years with (even a crappy) camera, you can download a free app (Beetagg), point it at the screen and instantly download the book to the phone. I was playing with it  for the past 20 minutes - there's something just ... satisfying about doing that (no cables or even typing needed :smileywink:). (Not on the nook - just my old phone, we don't need a "nook has a camera" myth like the *cough* "backlight" myth :smileytongue:)

The cake is a lie.