Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

Nook and your Public Library

I attended a class today at my public library on how to use the Nook to download eBooks for free. What a wonderful class(thank you Omaha public library - Millard branch!) I heard from many Nook users who tried to download non-compatible books and their frustrations. Once you learn how easy it is, you will love this feature.  I know B&N offers free classes too, I encourage everyone to attend classes, read up about the Nook and really get to know all of the features it offers. Thank you Barnes and Noble!

Wordsmith
Runnergirl77
0 Kudos

Re: Nook and your Public Library

I couldn't agree more!  Granted, borrowing eBooks doesn't allow me to enjoy the musty odor of the stacks that one can get from a visit to one's local library, but on a cold, snow-ridden day, it's great to be able to peruse shelf upon shelf of digital books.

Adobe Digital Editions is so easy to use, too.  I am so happy that Nook included Adobe software in setting up these processes.

Correspondent
crenita
0 Kudos

I was  justed introduced to the ebooks at the library.. and then found they have audio books to download as well... My only issue is my area of the state doesn't have that many ebooks to choose from... wish I was in a Larger branch .

They were singing the praises of the Nook at the Library.:smileyvery-happy:

. telling me that she was getting one this weekend..

Distinguished Correspondent
smiller492
0 Kudos

Hey Runnergirl....

Most libraries have DVD's you can borrow.  I have learned to read my nook and watch a movie, the best of both worlds!

Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

There are other libraries out there...the Free Library of Philadelphia is a good one...will cost you $15 for out-of-state library.

Look at: http://www.freelibrary.org/

There's a link (upper right) for "sign up for library card"

You can browse (but not borrow without a card) by following link "download media" (purple icon with head wearing headphones)

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Frequent Contributor
kevinrs
0 Kudos

The problem at my library right now is most of the ebooks have waitlists right now. It's the largest county library system, but I suppose with budget problems they aren't able to increase the number of copies to cope with all the people who got ereaders for christmas.

They do have both Overdrive and netlibrary, but I'm only seeing a total of 8 downloadable ebooks on netlibrary, the other 2308 apparently can only be viewed online, but there are 3217 audiobooks.

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

A tip to help make the wait list time at the library less:

Once you download the book to your Nook you can go back to the Adobe digital reader on your computer and return the copy to the library(rather then let it sit there for 14 days when it will automatically return itself). Since its downloaded on your Nook .It will stay there until you delete it. It frees up computer space and allows the next person on the list to receive the book sooner.

To return: click on the little x at the top of the book image on adobe and select return item. Its that simple :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

You are completely right. I love to walk around the library and look through rows of possibilities. I think we will do both ..at least for a while since some authors are refusing to do eBooks.. but I am sure like the Beatles and the ipod.. these authors will change their minds.

Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

kimba88 wrote:

A tip to help make the wait list time at the library less:

[snip]

Since its downloaded on your Nook .It will stay there until you delete it.

[snip]

Just to be totally correct...After the expiration date, it will become unreadable.

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

shilohMD wrote:

Just to be totally correct...After the expiration date, it will become unreadable. 

This is true for me as well.  Some have reported that as long as they don't navigate away from the book they can continue reading it until they are finished.  It doesn't work for me.  As a matter of fact, one day I was reading an expired book, set NOOK down to let the dogs out to pee and back in.  I wasn't away from it long enough for the screensaver to even come on, but I got the "Your book is unavailable" message.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

shilohMD wrote:

This is true for me as well.  Some have reported that as long as they don't navigate away from the book they can continue reading it until they are finished.  It doesn't work for me.  As a matter of fact, one day I was reading an expired book, set NOOK down to let the dogs out to pee and back in.  I wasn't away from it long enough for the screensaver to even come on, but I got the "Your book is unavailable" message.

It's never worked for me either, even with Wifi or 3G turned off.

OT: There is a thread in the NOOKbooks area waiting for your reply.  :smileywink:

New User
perkycolfl
0 Kudos

HELP...I am a brand new Nook user. I was just in my Library Overdrive acct and uploaded a book from the library apparently to Adobe. NOW HOW do I download this to the Nook. I am lost. PLEASE HELP.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

perkycolfl wrote:

HELP...I am a brand new Nook user. I was just in my Library Overdrive acct and uploaded a book from the library apparently to Adobe. NOW HOW do I download this to the Nook. I am lost. PLEASE HELP.

The link in Nallia's (post above yours) or my signature gives step by step instructions.

The short version::

• Download ADE.
  • Authorize ADE on your computer.
  • Go to library.
  • Download an ebook.  (Don't save, click open.  It should open with ADE.)
  • Plug NOOK in.
  • ADE recognizes NOOK.
  • Authorize NOOK in ADE by following prompts.
  • Drag icon of book (in ADE!) onto icon of NOOK (in ADE!)
  • "Safely Eject" NOOK
  • Tap "Check for New Content" in "My Documents"
  • Read.  :smileyvery-happy:

It sounds a lot more complicated than it is.  The downloading of the software and authorizing NOOKs and Computers takes about five minutes.  After that the whole process is about a minute per book.  I've read at least 30 library books since September.

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

Ok, on the right side of adobe digital reader you should see your Nook. (assuming you have it plugged into your computer.) On the right side you should see the book you downloaded .Just drag the book over and drop it where it says Nook.

New User
Heather2383
0 Kudos

I am having issues reading books from my library as well.  I understand how to download them to adobe and then how to move them to the nook once the nook is plugged in, but when I go to read them on my nook, is says "user not activated".  Can someone please help?

New User
Heather2383
0 Kudos

OK, nevermind, I followed the steps again and I deleted the ade from my nook and it then recognized it and activated the adobe id.  It now works!  Finally, I can read books from my library!

Distinguished Correspondent
jamartMF
0 Kudos

Heather two post up Ya_Ya has a link at the bottom of her post .....click on the "library books and how by frog alumni"  It is very good.

If you are on Windows you are going to have to hook your Nook back up.  Be sure it is on and not in sleep mode when you do.  Go into Windows "My Computer" and select the Nook drive to delete the 2 Adobe files.  Then be sure and select the eject in "My Computer" to remove the Nook.  At this point I completely shut down my Nook and restarted it to get a get clean reset deletion.  While ADE is closed hook your Nook back up and Then open ADE.  A request for authorization should open.  Theses are the points in his instructions that I think are important.  Doing this mine worked the 3rd time I tried.  Each time before I did one of these wrong.  Oh and be sure and go back to "My Computer" to Eject.  Not add remove hardware next to your clock in bottom right of desktop.

Reader
trestor
0 Kudos

there is also another library site

http://worldlibrary.net

it cost $8.95 a year.

I haven't tried it but just thought I'd pass it along

trestor

Reader
EricaY
0 Kudos

Rather than deleting something important, I'm seeking additional help.  Like Heather I'm getting the "user not activated" error when in Nook.  Following jamartMF's instructions I opened the Nook drive on my computer but I don't see two adobe files (and I've tried copying the book 3 times so far).  I do have .adobe-digital-editions listed.  Is this the file I should delete before trying again?

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

yes

EricaY wrote:

Rather than deleting something important, I'm seeking additional help.  Like Heather I'm getting the "user not activated" error when in Nook.  Following jamartMF's instructions I opened the Nook drive on my computer but I don't see two adobe files (and I've tried copying the book 3 times so far).  I do have .adobe-digital-editions listed.  Is this the file I should delete before trying again?