Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
5thchild
0 Kudos

Nook color in sunlight?

I'm debating between the Nook and the Nookcolor.

I read outside fairly frequently for commuting, vacations and just enjoying fine weather. I'm concerned about getting a Nookcolor and then not being able to read it on the beach! Has anyone tried the glare reducing films you can get? Do they work?

Also, have you found that you need a book light at night or the back lighting is sufficient. Is the back lighting harsh on your eyes at night?

Advice, please!

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13

Re: Nook color in sunlight?

[ Edited ]

5thchild wrote:

I'm debating between the Nook and the Nookcolor.

I read outside fairly frequently for commuting, vacations and just enjoying fine weather. I'm concerned about getting a Nookcolor and then not being able to read it on the beach! Has anyone tried the glare reducing films you can get? Do they work?

Also, have you found that you need a book light at night or the back lighting is sufficient. Is the back lighting harsh on your eyes at night?

Advice, please!

As to the NC, yes...it is FINE at night.   I read nightly, with the lights out and the backlighting turned down and the text set on "night" scheme (white text on black background).   Very easy on the eyes.

I have had other LCD devices in the past that I used as an eReader (Pocket PC and a Palm Pilot)....they are very hard to read in direct sunlight.   HOWEVER, I have used the NC in direct sunlight and it works fine for ME.   Obviously, you don't want the sun over your shoulder so the screen reflects back into your eyes, but beyond that....I find it easy to read in direct sunlight.  But you do....have to turn up the brightness to do so.

So in MY experience...the answer to your questions is yes, the backlight is adequate for nighttime and it is usable in sunlight

As to the nook classic.   I also have one of them and they are better at being read in direct sunlight than the NC...no question.   But they do NEED an external light to read at night.   They have NO backlight at all built in.   I use (and now my wife uses) an m-Edge Lattitude cover and light....and they work fine....but do tend to light up the bedroom a bit.

Your mileage may vary.

---------
Don
Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

Tried to reply before but I crashed!

I've been reading my Nook Color in bed all week long for HOURS at a time and the back lighting is quite sufficient!  I keep the screen brightness turned all the way down and it doesn't hurt my eyes or bother my snoozing husband.  I didn't even know about the night setting, lol!  That'll be even better!  I may never sleep again...

Today I read it in the car (I was not driving) in direct sunlight, had to turn up the brightness a bit but could read just fine.  Our delightful Michigan roads caused more of a problem than any kind of glare!  Although I may wind up changing from a glossy protection screen to an anti-glare one, cuz watching my own reflection while I read is kind of making me self-conscious.

Anyway, it looks great at night, in bright sunlight, and everywhere in between!

Distinguished Correspondent
MiniMischief
0 Kudos

I read today for the first time in direct sunlight and it was fine on my new NC.  That having been said, this question has been asked soooooooo many times in the past 2 weeks.  Classic is better in sunlight but NC is fine.  Let's be done with this topic already (Said in the nicest possible way).:smileywink:

Life is too short to read bad books. . .
Wordsmith
jeanniepep

Newbies to the site might not know how to search...semi-newbies like me don't mind answering!  I am happy to carry on and on about my NC to anybody who will listen, I would marry it if it asked me to :smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
robodojo
0 Kudos

Nookcolor is definitely more versatile than my classic nook, lighting-wise. I can turn the backlight up and read in bright situations, or turn it down and it looks almost like an e-ink screen. Like everyone else has said, though, the classic is ultimately better for beach-type reading.

But overall, I prefer the Nookcolor for reading books. I can read in dimly lit bars, my bedroom at night, my living room with "mood" lighting, and at a well-lit cafe. My classic nook would require a booklight for all but the last of those. And I have a hard time with the way booklights' light pools onto the page. If I am able to light the whole screen, I always have glare at the top of the page from the reflection of the bulb. I might just not be using the perfect book light.

But since I have my Nookcolor, I no longer have to worry about it!

New User
jlarch
0 Kudos

I have had trouble reading my NC at the beach. Maybe I need to try different lighting settings. Going to Florida in a few days and can't leave without my NC. I'm taking lots of gallon ziploc bags to put it in to keep it safe. Marry it? Maybe not, but I get nervous when I misplace it. It's like having another kid to look after! :-)